Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

You know, it just dawned on me a few minutes ago, that I think all this worry is for naught. As my wife has worked, and paid into both for 25-30 years, I can qualify thru her, right? Obviously many homemakers have qualified this way over the years, it just never occurred to me, from my male-type viewpoint.

From what I saw at the SSA website, that should cover me. I feel pretty dense about the whole thing now.

I'd copy-paste, but those posts get held up for moderator approval, I think.
csgraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

From what I was taught.... there is that pesky 10th amendment.... the fed gvmt can not tell the states what to do with their employees...
You got me curious. It seems based on what I read that in 1955 Social Security started allowing public workers with pension systems to join if they wanted. So I assume up to that point they were not allowed to even if they wanted to join. In my case, our system voted back in the 1950's not to join the system, and it has been that way ever since. It was of course, an all in, or all out based on majority and it was overwhelmingly voted down.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Here's a summary of eligibility for Medicare that was sent to Illinois university employees in 2006, but really meant for those who had been hired at a time when paying into Medicare was not required (they were presented with a choice as to whether they wanted to start doing so, which was the point of the notice and referendum).

It's a little dated, and much of the full notice is specific to the audience, but may be of interest:

Quote:
The most typical ways that persons qualify for premium-free Medicare Part A are the following:
• you have 40 Medicare credits
• your living spouse is at least age 62 and has 40 Medicare credits
• you were married to your former spouse for at least 10 years, you are currently unmarried and your former spouse has 40 Medicare credits
• you were married for the nine months before your spouse died, your spouse had 40 Medicare credits and you are currently unmarried (or remarried after age 60)
• Others – contact Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213
Edit: I think it's important that they qualified it as "Medicare Part A", as many people - say, those in their 40s or 50s - think that once they hit 40 quarters they are home free on their health care costs and refer only to "Medicare" (as I just did). There are multiple "Parts" to Medicare.

The original notice is a PDF that can be found here:

https://nessie.uihr.uillinois.edu/pd...Referendum.pdf

As the notice says, policies were (and are) subject to future changes, so needless to say I am also very interested in what happens with the PPACA.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
You got me curious. It seems based on what I read that in 1955 Social Security started allowing public workers with pension systems to join if they wanted. So I assume up to that point they were not allowed to even if they wanted to join. In my case, our system voted back in the 1950's not to join the system, and it has been that way ever since. It was of course, an all in, or all out based on majority and it was overwhelmingly voted down.

I actually looked to see if I could find some proof prior to posting.... with no luck... but, I did not spend much time...

I think in todays political world, they would try and get all employees included, even state and local.... it was a different world back in the 30s...

Edit to add:

http://www.ssa.gov/slge/faqs.htm#a0=-1

It seems that if the state does not cover them, then they are automatically covered...

"Since July 2, 1991, most State and local government employees, who are not covered under a qualifying public retirement system or a Section 218 Agreement, must be covered under Social Security."
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

I actually looked to see if I could find some proof prior to posting.... with no luck... but, I did not spend much time...

I think in todays political world, they would try and get all employees included, even state and local.... it was a different world back in the 30s...

Edit to add:

http://www.ssa.gov/slge/faqs.htm#a0=-1

It seems that if the state does not cover them, then they are automatically covered...

"Since July 2, 1991, most State and local government employees, who are not covered under a qualifying public retirement system or a Section 218 Agreement, must be covered under Social Security."
I think you are correct about that. About 5 years ago, the Feds came snooping into our pension system and forced people who were not in a specific defined teaching capacity, like school social workers for example, to start paying into the SS system. This has set back their retirements now because they are not credited with full years now and that some of their money is directed to SS credits instead of full year pension credits. So I definitely think they want more people paying into it.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgraff View Post
You know, it just dawned on me a few minutes ago, that I think all this worry is for naught. As my wife has worked, and paid into both for 25-30 years, I can qualify thru her, right? Obviously many homemakers have qualified this way over the years, it just never occurred to me, from my male-type viewpoint.
If your wife is eligible as a result of her work record, you are as well, so congratulations! Your Part A coverage is now assured and paid.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Interesting comment in today's WSJ regarding Obamacare and the how it frees people to switch jobs since they no longer have to worry about losing health care benefits.

Could Obamacare Health-Care Law Cure Job Lock and Loosen Up the Labor Market? - At Work - WSJ

Freeing labor to chose other more beneficial options will be a plus. How big it will be remains to be seen, but, IMHO, it will be a significant factor in the acceptance of Obamacare by the American public. Just my 2 cents. Time will tell.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read this article today also, and it sounds very familiar. I know quite a few people in the 50+ age that are working only to be able to access insurance. They could afford it but are rejected. Having enough to retire on is easy, having enough to cover a catastrophic medical event is almost impossible without insurance.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Job lock is real. My megacorp has regular opportunities in other, more tax-friendly states. However, spouse holds the health insurance. Our pre-existing conditions would not be covered without the major changes of Obamacare. When this feature kicks in, many options unfold for us.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree that health care should not be tied to your job. The pension tied me there also. If not for those two issues I would have left the company long before I did. Nice to have the pension now but enough cash would have been better.