Question about Obamacare/medicare changes

You know, it just dawned on me a few minutes ago, that I think all this worry is for naught. As my wife has worked, and paid into both for 25-30 years, I can qualify thru her, right? Obviously many homemakers have qualified this way over the years, it just never occurred to me, from my male-type viewpoint.
If your wife is eligible as a result of her work record, you are as well, so congratulations! Your Part A coverage is now assured and paid.

Interesting comment in today's WSJ regarding Obamacare and the how it frees people to switch jobs since they no longer have to worry about losing health care benefits.

Could Obamacare Health-Care Law Cure Job Lock and Loosen Up the Labor Market? - At Work - WSJ

Freeing labor to chose other more beneficial options will be a plus. How big it will be remains to be seen, but, IMHO, it will be a significant factor in the acceptance of Obamacare by the American public. Just my 2 cents. Time will tell.

I read this article today also, and it sounds very familiar. I know quite a few people in the 50+ age that are working only to be able to access insurance. They could afford it but are rejected. Having enough to retire on is easy, having enough to cover a catastrophic medical event is almost impossible without insurance.

Job lock is real. My megacorp has regular opportunities in other, more tax-friendly states. However, spouse holds the health insurance. Our pre-existing conditions would not be covered without the major changes of Obamacare. When this feature kicks in, many options unfold for us.

I agree that health care should not be tied to your job. The pension tied me there also. If not for those two issues I would have left the company long before I did. Nice to have the pension now but enough cash would have been better.

Back
Top Bottom