Join Early Retirement Today

Question for fellow runners (and any orthopedists)
Old 06-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Question for fellow runners (and any orthopedists)

My running shoe has been discontinued. I just found a good replacement (based on 2 runs so far) shoe, New Balance 880). I have a chronic knee issue - chondromalacia - that by doing a consistent run-walk approach keeps me able to continue running.
At the New Balance store I also tried this shoe's "brother" the 1080 and it was a close second in my decision process. Does anyone know if there is any real benefit to varying the shoe over different runs? Before they update the model, I plan to buy at least 2 more pair of the 880's, or maybe one additional pair plus one pair of the 1080.
If running on slightly different models is beneficial, I'll get the 1080. Or if nothing succeeds like success, I'll just run on several 880's. Thoughts?
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #2

I don't see any benefit to varying the shoe styles except to sell you another pair.

As long as they are the same type (such as "neutral cushioned") and made on the same last, you should be able to transition easily enough when your favorite is discontinued.

BTW, I've always felt it unwise to buy running shoes too much in advance. The midsole cushioning begins to deteriorate as soon as it leaves the factory, so sitting in your closet isn't really keeping it new.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #3

I'm a distance runner and buy all my New Balance shoes at their online outlet - https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com and they currently have plenty of 880 and some 1080 available depending on your size. They regularly have special deals which can get an even bigger discount. In the past I have purchased 5 and 10 pairs at a time if the price was deeply discounted and I knew they were about to discontinue the model.

What is the original discontinued one you had? The online outlet may still have some.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
I'm a distance runner and buy all my New Balance shoes at their online outlet - https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com and they currently have plenty of 880 and some 1080 available depending on your size. They regularly have special deals which can get an even bigger discount. In the past I have purchased 5 and 10 pairs at a time if the price was deeply discounted and I knew they were about to discontinue the model.

What is the original discontinued one you had? The online outlet may still have some.
I had 3 pair of 940 v2. Bought an additional pair, v4, but that model is substantially different and I never adjusted to them. I've bought from Joe's in the past, so I'll check them out.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
BTW, I've always felt it unwise to buy running shoes too much in advance. The midsole cushioning begins to deteriorate as soon as it leaves the factory, so sitting in your closet isn't really keeping it new.
I've never had any issue. I still have one pair of 883s new in the box out of an original stash of 5 along with plenty others I've picked up as they've been deeply discounted prior to discontinuance.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I had 3 pair of 940 v2. Bought an additional pair, v4, but that model is substantially different and I never adjusted to them. I've bought from Joe's in the past, so I'll check them out.
How about v3?

https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com...940-v3/m940mi3
Old 06-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you like the 880’s, and prefer them over the 1080’s, then keep running solely on the 880’s. Buy a bunch of pairs, and alternate each pair into your runs.

I did the same thing with asics Kayanos. I bought 2 pair and alternated running until each pair wore out at the same time. Trouble was that I had to get the newest version when my favorite shoes wore out. But I eventually got used to the newest version.

You’d also probably get used to the newest New Balance shoe after a while.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I feel like there's some benefit in mixing up the type of running I do, trail vs. road. Helps with possible overuse injuries. I wear trail shoes for more technical trails, so I am using different shoes when I do this. But I might still run for months on roads and rail trails where I use the same shoe model day after day, for 40-50+ miles per week. In that case I will switch between 2 pairs of the same shoe, to let the cushioning recover. I don't know if that's really needed, but it's what I do.

While I don't doubt there is some deterioration of the cushioning while it's sitting on the shelf, I don't think it's much. I had a Mizuno shoe model that I loved, and it was discontinued. 6 years ago I bought 6 pair on clearance. Shortly after that I had an injury which was fixed by switching to a different shoe. So I had those 6 boxes sitting on the shelf. This month, I had a different injury and I decided to try those Mizunos again. They feel just fine. I may not push them to the 500 miles I used to get out of them, but I don't feel the cushioning is even close to gone.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
+1

I've always liked New Balance shoes & used to buy several pairs at once of styles I liked when I found a good price, but on a couple of occasions when I started wearing them some years later the soles crumbled quickly. When I wrote to the company they conceded that can happen (& sent me a coupon towards a new purchase). Now I don't buy their running or walking shoes until I know I'll be using them soon.

When the styles change, I've always been able to find something similar to what I used previously.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #10

Thanks, all. In the past I've always had multiple pairs of the same model, and used all of them on a regular basis, generally switching after a week's use. So no concern about a shoe getting "stale" in the box. I think I'll just go back and buy another 2, maybe 3, pair.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:13 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
My running shoe has been discontinued. I just found a good replacement (based on 2 runs so far) shoe, New Balance 880). I have a chronic knee issue - chondromalacia - that by doing a consistent run-walk approach keeps me able to continue running.

At the New Balance store I also tried this shoe's "brother" the 1080 and it was a close second in my decision process. Does anyone know if there is any real benefit to varying the shoe over different runs? Before they update the model, I plan to buy at least 2 more pair of the 880's, or maybe one additional pair plus one pair of the 1080.

If running on slightly different models is beneficial, I'll get the 1080. Or if nothing succeeds like success, I'll just run on several 880's. Thoughts?

Don’t know if it helps but I got knee problems marathon training so backed off and went along for the gait check, the guy at the time watched me run and told me I am strict ASICS with the hard insert sole to fix my flat arch. Had no idea this was an exact science like that.

I even pointed to all the awesome Brooks, Nike, NB etc he was selling but he was very insistent and strict that my run is Asics and nothing else. Considered myself told and bought Cumulus and the knee issue vanished. Since then I always buy the two for one deal the year after the number on the shoe at the Orlando mall. As many as possible when I can since we don’t get there often.

That check was 15 years ago and I do 6-8mi every other day without any injury (knocks on wood) so maybe he was onto something? Would love to give something else a go but am now concerned about the risk of a change and getting injured. Running is a key part of mental relief in this crazy world we live in 🤪

Only issue now is ASICS soles are too soft so they wear down too fast, I guess that’s where they get you though..$$$
DD4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:05 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD4L View Post
Don’t know if it helps but I got knee problems marathon training so backed off and went along for the gait check, the guy at the time watched me run and told me I am strict ASICS with the hard insert sole to fix my flat arch. Had no idea this was an exact science like that.

I even pointed to all the awesome Brooks, Nike, NB etc he was selling but he was very insistent and strict that my run is Asics and nothing else. Considered myself told and bought Cumulus and the knee issue vanished. Since then I always buy the two for one deal the year after the number on the shoe at the Orlando mall. As many as possible when I can since we don’t get there often.

That check was 15 years ago and I do 6-8mi every other day without any injury (knocks on wood) so maybe he was onto something? Would love to give something else a go but am now concerned about the risk of a change and getting injured. Running is a key part of mental relief in this crazy world we live in 🤪
Interesting! Where did you get a "gait check"? Presumably a running store? I've never had one, but New Balance always seemed to work for me.

I've been running since my 30's, though much less now. The mental lift of running (& thinking of myself as a runner, though I'm slow as molasses now) never goes away.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
I've been running since my 30's, though much less now. The mental lift of running (& thinking of myself as a runner, though I'm slow as molasses now) never goes away.

Ive been "running" also for most of my life. Still looking for that endorphin high they talk about. If you find a site where I can buy one I'd appreciate a link.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Ive been "running" also for most of my life. Still looking for that endorphin high they talk about. If you find a site where I can buy one I'd appreciate a link.
In my experience, that only comes after a significant amount of effort, and completely randomly. It's seldom enough that it's very noticeable when it happens, a huge unexpected treat.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
Interesting! Where did you get a "gait check"? Presumably a running store? I've never had one, but New Balance always seemed to work for me.

Yes it was a run store during the Portland OR days 15 years ago called Portland Running and the guy was incredibly knowledgeable.

I think these type of gait analyses are more scientific now though, somewhere like Fit2Run Orlando might be the latest option. They even provide specific insole colors for different arch types.

If NB works and gives you no knee or hip issues you should be good though. I’ll admit I tried a sneaky Nike for a week one year and my right knee hurt again...served me right [emoji849]
Old 06-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In my experience, that only comes after a significant amount of effort, and completely randomly. It's seldom enough that it's very noticeable when it happens, a huge unexpected treat.

Exactly true in my experience too, I run 6-8 every other day so the high comes on the rest day after each run pretty much like clockwork.

More so if I add some lamppost to lamppost sprints or hills. [emoji125]🥵
Old 06-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #17

If running caused me too much pain or medical problems, I would stick with just walking. The important thing is moving. Getting out there.

When I was 17 it was 70 miles of running a week. From age 30-50 it was around 25. About to turn 58 and I'm at 10 with many walks mixed in. My goal is to keep moving and avoiding the overtraining downsides of running.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #18

I’ve also got knee and ankle problems with a collapsed arch an PTTD. I just got a pair of Brooks Beast, the new model with the guide rail technology. I’m feeling much better already, but I’ve had to go the run walk thing for a couple of years, and I have to be careful not to go too long in a pair of shoes. They’ll still look ok, but seem to break down inside. I’ve also got a pair of Hoka One One Gaviotas on order. These are also stability/motion control shoes like the Brooks Beast, but it sounds like they are lighter and have more cushion. So I’m going to give them a try as well. I’m not a life long runner, just about 12 years now. But because of the ankles, knees and PTTD, I’m running a lot slower. (I’m aging a bit now, so that may also be playing a part).
Old 06-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #19

I have done 5K walk in Key West last few Januaries. Last year I saw a guy running the 13.1 half marathon and told myself, self, you should do that in 2021. My problem is listening to myself too much. Hope to do 10-11 miles once a week by Nov so in Jan I can gut out last 2 miles and finish the 13.1. Then back to 2 miles a day, 4 times a week. I'll see if they have any of those endorphis on the sideline with the water and banana stands.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Last year I saw a guy running the 13.1 half marathon and told myself, self, you should do that in 2021.
That's wonderful; congratulations on your initiative!

DW was a total couch potato until about seven years ago when she suddenly and surprisingly took me up on a challenge to try a 10-K race. Today she is up to nearly 80 half marathons, and closing in on doing one in all 50 states. She loves it (even completed a full marathon a few years ago).