Question re grandchild

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
One of my grandchildren is 3 yo. He has had difficulty chewing and speaking, I could barely understand him. Closer inspection revealed that his lower teeth protruded beyond his upper teeth (what I saw as an under-bite). I encouraged his parents to see a pediatric dentist who diagnosed a "cross bite". He now has an appliance behind his upper teeth, each month it is 'expanded' to encourage his palette grow.

A friend suggested that this is not dental care but 'major medical' because it is developmental, not a lot different than a cleft pallet.

Have any of you had experience with this?

Yes my grandson wore this palate appliance when he was 9 years old. Before this, his palate was so narrow and arched that he would spit and have trouble forming words.

It improved his appearance AND his speaking and made more room for his secondary teeth to come in.

They have to get it when they're younger than 13 because the palate gets harder after that age.

For legal reasons I would prefer not to give any medical advice. However, I would only say you should consult since a standard three-year milestone may not have been met in this case.
One of my grandchildren is 3 yo. He has had difficulty chewing and speaking, I could barely understand him.

Last edited:
A friend suggested that this is not dental care but 'major medical' because it is developmental, not a lot different than a cleft pallet.

Have any of you had experience with this?

...and therefore would be covered by health insurance versus limited dental insurance?

Yes, that is my question.

Because I am not in the health care field I cannot evaluate the judgement of the health care professional, but my grandson only about 30 days into the treatment and will be 4 soon. What I can see looks like an under-bite but his molars may match further back, he had trouble chewing... and his words were like he has mush in his mouth. Spit would come out of his mouth, we had to remind him to swallow.

IMHO this is not a problem with teeth, it is a palate development issue.. akin to a cleft palate. That is why I wonder if the treatment could be covered by health insurance.

Back
Top Bottom