Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPrint53 View Post
Love my Black Diamond. I told my DD to call them trekking poles--it sounds much more trendy. :-)

I had a pair of Leki, but I didn't like the way they adjusted.

Yes, if you’re hiking, trekking poles is the correct terminology.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

youtube.com goes all out on trekking poles.

You can see how many people like these: https://cnocoutdoors.com/products/ve...n-hiking-poles
or go w/ cork grips
https://cnocoutdoors.com/collections...trekking-poles
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I do a lot of back country hiking and use a cross country ski pole. They are very similar to the trekking poles that are shown in this thread.

I walk in town just about everyday if I can't be in the country and don't use a stick. I know a guy here that builds diamond willow sticks and are very nice. I have access to diamond willows and have a few in back of my pickup I use from time to time as walking sticks. These aren't fancy but have them at the right height and are nice to look at too.

Good luck in finding a walking stick. I would never be without one in the back country.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are doing serious hiking on rough terrain you need two poles each. A single hiking stick is a style thing that is not particularly useful and you rarely see an experienced hiker using something that primitive. The very best buy in a strong light and easily length adjustable set of poles are from Montem and are readily found on Amazon.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I've never used it, (it sits in a corner, but not this corner), but close to 20 years ago I fashioned a pole from Olneya tesota down in Arizona:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I would think some handy pepper spray would be more effective than a stun gun. I would think it would be hard to hit a dog (small object) with a stun gun versus spraying with pepper spray.
I have seen some videos of large dogs attacking a person, and they run so fast across the street and attack it's scary, no warning and it takes them only seconds to get to the victim.

Even pepper spray is hard to aim, a can of bear spray would be nice and handy for walking in remote National Parks.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
I'm another Black diamond fan but strongly prefer the fixed length Z-poles. I've had adjustable poles in the past and find they "self adjust" too easily and I spend too much time resetting the length. They come in four fixed lengths to suit most people.
I love the z poles. I first bought the aluminum z poles since I wasn't sure I would like using trekking poles. After the first time I used them I was hooked. I lost one of the poles when out mushroom hunting so I upgraded to the carbon z poles. They are really light weight!

I just found this deal on the carbon z poles, it's a good price:

https://www.backcountryedge.com/blac...w_wcB#284=2175
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:52 AM   #28

Quote:
DW likes her Black Diamond hiking sticks from REI. (Without bamboo grips). REI recommends against bamboo grips because they get slimy when hands start sweating.
DW has these w/bamboo grips and likes them very much.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have seen some videos of large dogs attacking a person, and they run so fast across the street and attack it's scary, no warning and it takes them only seconds to get to the victim.
That happened to me yesterday when I went out for a run, the dog came running out from an open gated driveway and by the time I noticed him he was already on me. Luckily he didn't attack, probably just protecting his territory, wouldn't have had time to react with any type of defense if he had.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
That happened to me yesterday when I went out for a run, the dog came running out from an open gated driveway and by the time I noticed him he was already on me. Luckily he didn't attack, probably just protecting his territory, wouldn't have had time to react with any type of defense if he had.
Dogs are faster then people and the Tueller drill says you are going to lose against a human. We participated in this drill at a tactical training class. One difference was our weapons were not holstered, already in our hands. Out of 21 students we all failed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Luckily he didn't attack, probably just protecting his territory, wouldn't have had time to react with any type of defense if he had.
For many decades I've laughed at movies where someone is being chased by a dog, keeps looking back and the dog's no closer.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #32

I just purchased a Brazos Walking Stick Brand 'Free Form Twisted Sweet Gum Walking Stick'. The price at the local Ace Hardware was slightly cheaper than listed on the web site. Free Form Twisted Sweet Gum Hiking Stick | Brazos Walking Sticks It is mostly for walking the dog and in case one of my knees gives out like it does once in every other blue moon. I may buy the tips for trail hiking.

While searching on line, I also found this site called 'Irish Walking Sticks' Irish Walking Sticks and Canes | Specialty Blackthorn, Decorative & Collapsible Walking Canes

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #33

Last month during a 6 week visit to Chapala, Mexico, DW & I joined up with a hiking club. At least half of those members were using trekking poles made from wooden broom handles that they modified by cutting them to length (if needed) then fashioning a hand grip at one end (either a bicycle grip or tape) and affixing a rubber tip at the other. Although these McGyver-ed trekking poles were not very trendy, fashionable or high-tech, they seemed to work jus as effectively as their more costly, manufactured counterparts.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #34

Thanks for all the replies! Very educational and helpful.

I ended up ordering the item below on sale for 33% off. These only have one adjustable area at the top, so that the height varies from 120 cm to 140 cm. Total weight 17 oz for both.

They come with a one-year "no matter what" return policy from a place called Back Country Edge in PA.

Diamond Distance FLZ Poles Item # BLDD5203M

The Black Diamond Z-Pole Rapid Deployment System consists of a concealed inner cord, a single push-button release and a one-pull deployment. Borrowed from Black Diamond's tested avalanche probes, a center cord provides surprising strength and stability. Similar to tent poles, the sections snap securely into place, resulting in weight savings and increased collapsibility that enables them to take up far less packed space than traditional poles. Sturdy, easy-to-use FlickLock Pro external locking mechanisms on the uppermost shaft sections provide an 8" length adjustability range for varied demands and height requirements.

Non-slip foam grips maintain the minimalist profile while serving as secure hand holds. A short extension to the grip provides a place to choke up on side hill traverses and compact straps help to relieve stress on the wrists.
Two sets of tips are included. Carbide tips deliver solid traction for hard surfaces or ice. Non-marking rubber tips can be used to prevent trail damage and provide grip and durability. An included storage bag protects your poles and includes an integrated pocket to house whichever set of tips you aren't using.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Recommendation for walking sticks / hiking sticks

A friend of mine makes his own walking sticks out of sticks he finds on his hikes. He keeps them in pieces of pvc piping to keep them straight while they dry out. He waits a couple of years, takes the bark off, and then puts a finish on them.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Black Diamond Trailback. 79.99 at REI.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
A friend of mine makes his own walking sticks out of sticks he finds on his hikes. He keeps them in pieces of pvc piping to keep them straight while they dry out. He waits a couple of years, takes the bark off, and then puts a finish on them.
Because of this thread I have watched on you tube ,some old fellow go from cutting some sticks in the forest to making fancy walking sticks, which I'm sure sell for a high price.

It has also taught me, the walking stick I bought in a garage sale for $2, is slightly short for true hiking.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Some of us living in the southwest have an unlimited supply of walking stick plants (sotol) growing along the road. The plant bloom stalks are straight, strong, light and grow a new one every year. Even our local weatherman knows how to make them:

https://www.ksat.com/news/steve-brow...ke-sotol-stick
Old 01-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting - I may have to snag me some raw materials on my next trip through Texas.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote