Recurring sinus infections

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Does or has anyone else struggled with recurrent sinus infections? I get them about every 2 months. I've tried nasal surgery, allergy shots, nasal irrigation, prescription nasal sprays, reducing dairy products and nothing has worked. Has anyone had success with anything else? When I get these , it really knocks me out for several days. Thanks.

David, I'm a fellow sufferer. I've tried everything you mentioned with the exception of allergy shots. No matter what I did I consistently came down with two or three sinus infections every year.

A few years ago I noticed the infections seemed to always show up following yard work in dusty conditions. I began wearing a dust mask whenever I mow or cut brush and, knock on wood, have reduced my incidence of infections dramatically. I've only had one in the past three years.

One of my mottos is, "don't leave home without it, lots and lots of it."

Of course, the "it" is Kleenix.

I don't know what I have, as a child in a cold climate we laughed and called it, "chronic rhinitis." Now, I just associate it with flowers coming into bloom, but so much as a slight change of wind will bring it on. Certain Thai curry dishes do an excellent job of clearing my sinuses.

I have had (just moderate) sinus trouble on and off throughout my life - - nothing as bad as yours, luckily, at least so far.

Moving to a different part of the country essentially eliminates my sinus problems for a few years, though so far it has not been a permanent cure. When I moved from Texas to Louisiana, my sinus trouble was practically eliminated for 4-5 years though I am having trouble with it again.

For me it also really helps to avoid catching colds when possible, and to stay out of crowds of people that might give me a cold or virus. I think my sinus problems are related to mild allergies or sensitivities. Perhaps in my case, my allergic/sensitivity reactions are more easily triggered when I am sick with a cold or virus. At least, when I am sick my sinuses seem to get infected and then I feel miserable for days to weeks. One of the aspects of retirement that I will enjoy is not having to go to work with a bunch of sneezing, coughing, sick people every day.

This year, my moderate hay fever is getting ridiculous and I might eventually have to seek help for it. My sinuses are driving me nuts, too. Everything is in bloom - - EVERYTHING. The pollen is so thick you can see it all over the cars. Not only that, a person who is always sick moved into the next cubicle at work. She never uses sick leave when she is sick. She saves it to use for "fun days", and when she is sick comes in and coughs and sneezes and does her best to spread her germs everywhere. Oh, goodie.

Last edited:
I've suffered from allergies and asthma all my life. When my allergies are under control, I don't have many sinus infections, and vice versa. What has worked pretty well for me is singulair and advair, but YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom