Join Early Retirement Today

Remote Patient Monitoring
Old 10-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Remote Patient Monitoring

I just received correspondence from my Primary Care Physician encouraging me to sign up for a Remote Patient Monitoring program from a company called 100Plus. Under this program, 100Plus will provide you with one or more medical devices (blood pressure cuff, blood glucose monitor, pulse oximeter and digital weight scale). The patient is supposed to use the devices daily and the devices will automatically report back the data to 100Plus and to your doctor. This is apparently targeted at Medicare patients and they say that Medicare will pick up all of the costs of the program.

I looked at the website of 100Plus and it seems to be aimed at health care providers (not to the patient), with emphasis on how they can provide additional revenue to the doctor’s practice. I’m not sure I want to go down this road and have concerns about where my data will go and who will see it.

Has anybody else seen something like this?
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I already have a pacemaker monitoring device (Control Box) that sits by my bed and reads the activity of my pacemaker at night. It uses the cellular system to communicate. If it sees anything abnormal it calls home ..... my cardiologist. It also performs the quarterly checks that I used to have to visit the doc for.

If I do not feel well, I can initiate a communication that reads the PM and transmits the data to my cardiologist on demand. Pretty cool huh?

The device came as a package with my new 2019 pacemaker.

There are no charges to me other than my Medicare regular check ups, they are not expensive at all.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #3

I've heard of it, but I don't see any point unless you have medical conditions that need that sort of monitoring.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I looked at the website of 100Plus and it seems to be aimed at health care providers (not to the patient), with emphasis on how they can provide additional revenue to the doctor’s practice. I’m not sure I want to go down this road and have concerns about where my data will go and who will see it.
I'm pretty sure that's the main point of it.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Why not just ask your PCP? In our case, we are in a concierge program within a large group and I doubt that our PCP would receive any personal financial benefit from such a recommendation. Maybe the group would; I don't know.

Having had a number of 24 hour Holter monitoring experiences in connection with professional physicals, I would jump on something that is less invasive and less hassle.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:04 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

A colleague of mine runs a Remote Patient Monitoring practice. It can be extremely helpful for older, isolated patients that have little support or limited ability to physically or virtually check in with their physicians. (Many cannot access computers or are easily confused by videoconferencing). It is also good for patients who tend to be noncompliant with health monitoring (blood glucose, blood pressure, etc) as it creates a sense of accountability. The nurses call, check in, monitor readings and then forward the information to the MDs.

It's a beneficial asset to those who need it, and another source of information and income for the physicians. It doesn't sound beneficial for the majority of people on this forum.
Lucie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Certainly not as useful as the pacemaker monitoring which my DH has just like SWR. Those little boxes are amazing and bring big peace of mind.

As far as people who are non compliant if they don't the check no info is provided to the doc...pacemaker clinics have their own dedicated staff and that's all they do. I doubt your Dr is going to hire someone to watch those transmissions.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote