Report: ACA's Effect on Insurance Premiums Varies by Income Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is one more thing that i have forgotten to mention in all my massachusettes health posts.

insurers here can pick what plans they are in.

all the subsidized plans-none of them are from major providers. they are all the same plans that currently supply medicaid members.

the only way to get major providers-at least in mass.-is to buy the non-subsidized plans.

i think whats more important is to find out in california-just what plans will be subsidized.

based on my state(mass.) i would not be able to get the plan i have if subsidised

i'll use an example with an insurance company you've heard of. Blue Cross of mass. is not a subsidized plan provider-so if you go to a doctor in an expensive suburb and he /she does not take a subsidized plan(which because are low reimbursement plans to provider) your choice will be change doctors or get non subsidized plan.

This sounds very disturbing. If subsidized plans have a low reimbursement plans to provider then why cost should be low which in turn should mean the subsidies should not be that high. What we are seeing the worst of all worlds, a subsidized plan that is expensive to all sides (doctors, government, taxpayers, and patient.)

I hate to sound like the GOP spin machine, but it seems to me the right way to do this is to

a) Tort reform
b) Let insurance companies sell across state borders (like into CA and NY markets) which should lower costs via competition
c) No community rating so the cost of insurance should be a function of the medical condition of the insured so the healthy can get the cheap insurance that they deserve anyway
d) Means test premiums (whatever it is) on an individual basis and then hand out subsidies on an individual basis as needed

We should just let the market work as much as possible and then subsidies comes in at the end. Micromanaging the process with all sort of rules (like 3 vs 1 ratio between the ages, community rating) just messes this already messed up system even worse. Here NY state we already lived what the future under Obamacare might be like, and it is not pretty (I have friends who do have high earnings ($250K+) in their early 40s who are self employed and pay $25K+ for insurance plus another $20K every time they have a kid.)

This sounds very disturbing. If subsidized plans have a low reimbursement plans to provider then why cost should be low which in turn should mean the subsidies should not be that high. What we are seeing the worst of all worlds, a subsidized plan that is expensive to all sides (doctors, government, taxpayers, and patient.)

I hate to sound like the GOP spin machine, but it seems to me the right way to do this is to

a) Tort reform
b) Let insurance companies sell across state borders (like into CA and NY markets) which should lower costs via competition
c) No community rating so the cost of insurance should be a function of the medical condition of the insured so the healthy can get the cheap insurance that they deserve anyway
d) Means test premiums (whatever it is) on an individual basis and then hand out subsidies on an individual basis as needed

We should just let the market work as much as possible and then subsidies comes in at the end. Micromanaging the process with all sort of rules (like 3 vs 1 ratio between the ages, community rating) just messes this already messed up system even worse. Here NY state we already lived what the future under Obamacare might be like, and it is not pretty (I have friends who do have high earnings ($250K+) in their early 40s who are self employed and pay $25K+ for insurance plus another $20K every time they have a kid.)

before Romneycare MA. had guarantee issue like NY has now.Insurance plans could not turn you down-but rates were sky high. having priced individual coverage before Romneycare it was actually more expensive. Romneycare brought down the price i would have had to pay but it is still expensive.

Some very odd things about that calculator. Let's say a ER couple age 55 with $60K of income. Our premium is $1,723 a month.

But if I add our 25 yo son then the premium is only $861 a month.

If I adopt an 18 year old then the premium is $574 a month (less than what i am paying now for better coverage).

Can't be right.

Maybe they got the input wrong. On the UCberkeley calculator it says "Enter age of policy holder" whereas on the CA calculator it says "Enter age of the youngest adult". Both have age range from 19-64, so you shouldn't enter 18.

I can't believe the numbers jumping to 30%+ of income for premium. Somethings got to be wrong but I don't know where it is.

Something seems wrong here. What am I missing?

Health Insurance Calculator | Covered California

Examples:

1 person household; $65K income; youngest age 55:
premium $635 per month, no tax credit

2 person household; $65K income; youngest age 55:
premium $1,723 per month, no tax credit

Why would the 2 person be far more than 2X the 1 person household? I suspect there is an hidden assumption in the calculator that is affecting the numbers?

Something seems wrong here. What am I missing?

Health Insurance Calculator | Covered California

Examples:

1 person household; $65K income; youngest age 55:
premium $635 per month, no tax credit

2 person household; $65K income; youngest age 55:
premium $1,723 per month, no tax credit

Why would the 2 person be far more than 2X the 1 person household? I suspect there is an hidden assumption in the calculator that is affecting the numbers?

i think the calculator is giving 65000 income to each person and pricing 2 at 130000

at most 1,270 a month cheaper for 2 people to apply singly

The problem with the calculator is that is represents what will happen in the state with the most uninsured population in the United States. According to the California Healthcare Foundation, in 2011 22% of all Californians had no health insurance.

California's Uninsured: Treading Water - CHCF.org

So, the premiums reflect adding 7 million people to the health insurance pool, some who will use subsidies. Initially, because there is no claim experience for these people, the rates will be higher.

They should drop over time as carriers see the claims experience of these other 22%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom