Join Early Retirement Today

Resistance bands vs. Dumbbells
Old 12-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Resistance bands vs. Dumbbells

Now that my knee is well on the way to recovery from replacement surgery it's time to consider improving my exercise routine.

It's important that they be easy and quick to use. I am thinking of a 30 minute strength building routine four days a week.

I have been considering getting a set of dumbbells or resistance bands. I am wondering about the pluses and minuses of each. If you have experiences with one or both, I would love to hear what you think.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

I like and use both.

Neither is an expensive purchase so I would say get a set of bands and a pair of dumbbells with just 5 pound weights. Try them out (tons of good exercise tips on YouTube) and see how you like using them. You can easily add more weights to the dumbbells later if you want.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

In your case, with the knee replacement, I would suggest not carrying any more weight than needed. Resistance bands would be safer for your new joint.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would ask your physical therapist what would be best for your situation.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have done a little with the weight machines at the gym since my surgery (which was about a month after yours). I keep intending to do more!

Right now I have been mainly focusing on the machines which are cardio for most people I guess; the stationary bike, the seated elliptical, and the Nustep crosstrainer. Since my leg muscles were so weak after surgery, these have been helping my leg strength as well as cardio.

If it gets to the point where my legs are strong enough that they are no longer increasing in strength with these cardio machines, then I'll spend less of my gym time with the cardio machines and more with the weight machines I suppose. So much of weight lifting (in general, whether machines or free weights) seems to focus perhaps more on the upper body, but there are weight machines that exercise the legs and knees and can be set to very low weights to begin with. And then, my upper body could use some strength workouts too. I do lift heavy things around the house now so there's that.

I've never tried the resistance bands, although I know they are inexpensive. I guess I feel like the weight machines are a more controlled and predictable lift. I have 1, 2, and 3 pound dumbbells but I can't figure out how to get much benefit from them for my legs. My legs are still too weak to use the strap on ankle weights quite yet.

How about climbing stairs? I have noticed that really is quite a workout for me these days. I climbed up a flight of stairs briskly last Saturday and it took me two days before I felt human again. OK it was to the second floor of my gym, which has 20-30 foot ceilings on the first floor, so that's my excuse. I plan to try that again in a few days.

I love that after all we went through, we are now talking about our plans to increase workouts and strength!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've used both in the past. The bands weren't exactly the popular ones but similar as they were part of a machine. But eventually they broke so now I use dumbells.

I prefer dumbells but both worked for me.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
gone traveling

I use both for shoulder maintenance and rebab when injuries occur. I am sure both have a place for leg/knee strengthening as well.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My preference is for dumbbells as I think they provide options that bands don't, but either will work when used correctly so pick the ones you like the best and that you are more likely to use on a regular basis.

Also, I always take at least a day of rest when lifting (sometimes 2 or 3 days) to give the muscles a chance to recover.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #9

I do free weights and machines at the gym. Bought resistance bands with four different weight designations. Take them on vacation. Work great
Old 12-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Depends. I own the Bodylastics resistance bands and have access to dumbbells, barbells etc. at my gym. For travel or a home workout, the bands are great - plus they are are much more “transportable”. For certain exercises, I prefer the dumbbells/barbells - but moving a rack of these from point a to point b would be a real hassle. Both have their strengths and you can accomplish a decent workout with either.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...I have 1, 2, and 3 pound dumbbells but I can't figure out how to get much benefit from them for my legs. My legs are still too weak to use the strap on ankle weights quite yet.

How about climbing stairs? I have noticed that really is quite a workout for me these days. I climbed up a flight of stairs briskly last Saturday and it took me two days before I felt human again. OK it was to the second floor of my gym, which has 20-30 foot ceilings on the first floor, so that's my excuse. I plan to try that again in a few days...
Hey W2R -

There are a lot of body weight exercises you can do to work your legs...with no need for a gym:

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...exercises-legs

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a...ithout-weights

https://www.livestrong.com/article/1...scles-at-home/

Some of the more difficult exercises can be modified to help you get started. If you buy a cheap (i.e. < $10) leg band, you can then add all kinds of glute exercises too:

https://www.self.com/gallery/resista...an-do-anywhere
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have 1, 2, and 3 pound dumbbells but I can't figure out how to get much benefit from them for my legs. My legs are still too weak to use the strap on ankle weights quite yet.

How about climbing stairs? I have noticed that really is quite a workout for me these days. I climbed up a flight of stairs briskly last Saturday and it took me two days before I felt human again. OK it was to the second floor of my gym, which has 20-30 foot ceilings on the first floor, so that's my excuse. I plan to try that again in a few days.
IMO, ankle weights provide little benefit and will alter your gait in a negative way.

Climbing stairs will be more beneficial and is also a good cardio workout. Carry a pair of dumbbells up and down the stairs to get an arm and core workout at the same time.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Any recommendations for a good set of adjustable dumbbells? I notice that prices can vary from $130 to $400. They have to be easy to use or else I won't use them, so I am willing to pay extra for that. But, $400!!! That seems like a lot.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've never been called a resistance band, but I do/did love stair climbing.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #15

I use both because there are some exercises that lend themselves better to weights and others are more convenient with better control with resistance bands. My weights are 5, 10, and 15 pounds in pairs. They are neoprene covered and purchased at either Walmart or Academy Sports for about $1 a pound. I use my weights on the porch where I have eye screws in the wall studs at 3 different levels so the resistance bands can attach by carabiner clips to make them quick to move. The resistance bands were given to me by the physical therapist and then added to from a purchase from Amazon for a set of 5 for about $20. Other than that I ride my recumbent trike about 12 - 15 miles a day for my legs. An inexpensive beach bicycle would do just as well.

These were all purchased over the years for home PT from 3 back surgeries, a knee replacement, 2 broken wrists, and 2 rotator cuff surgeries so I could continue with the same PT program at home.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #16

If you have a Dicks anywhere near you, check if they have this adjustable dumbell set in stock: (and if they don't, just stalk them as most weight eq is in and out of stock these days):

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...fg40lbdjdbsdmb

It adjusts from 8lbs to 20 each (or 40 if you fully loaded one), so a lot cheaper than the fancy adjustable ones like from Bowflex. Or heck you can start with just the plates at 3lb and 5lb and go up from there.

I've never used resistance bands but I don't think you can upgrade the resistance as nicely as you can with free weights. And you need progressively increase weight if strength building is your goal.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

resistance bands are great for rehab, not for building muscle

i like kettlebells and TRX bands myself
Old 10-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I get more use out of dumbells. But get advice from your rehabber.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Agree about the gym leg machines, because of the adjustable weights. In fact I missed them so much, I've started going back to the gym, only an hour each time and masked, just to use the weight machines.

I've never gotten comfortable with resistance bands. They were prescribed during my shoulder rehab (I had shoulder impingement, that took forever to resolve) but found using bands to be unintuitive and inconvenient.

Quote:

there are weight machines that exercise the legs and knees and can be set to very low weights to begin with. although I know they are inexpensive. I guess I feel like the weight machines are a more controlled and predictable lift. I have 1, 2, and 3 pound dumbbells but I can't figure out how to get much benefit from them for my legs. My legs are still too weak to use the strap on ankle weights quite yet.

D
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Any recommendations for a good set of adjustable dumbbells? I notice that prices can vary from $130 to $400. They have to be easy to use or else I won't use them, so I am willing to pay extra for that. But, $400!!! That seems like a lot.
We have the Bowflex ones. They are amazing. Expensive, but so easy to change the weight quickly. I love them.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumbbells resistance