retire earlier to live longer

That is an interesting read. Thanks

One of the main reasons I retired was the stress level of the job. No matter what issue, it rolled up to me. Started getting in heated arguments with plant managers and rogue people who were self serving. After one late night call at home I took my BP and near 180 on the top end. That pretty much sealed it.

I think we all know a number of people that worked right to 65 only to die within a couple of years. Totally insane to me. However due to financial need many have to continue to work.

The people I know who died soon after we’re not hurting for money so they were just maximizing benefits. Also most had poor habits.

I think many of us realize that we are much healthier now than while still at the job. Amazing the difference for me.

We are just on this earth such a little time. Older you get, the faster the days and years go by. We're grabbing the gusto as soon as possible.

I loved my 18 wheeler truck driving job I had as a 'sunset' career for 6 years, but I must say I think it was aging me quickly. Just the awful hours of 3 PM to 3 AM, and having to stay awake when your body is screaming for sleep. Probably good for my health that I'm retired now.

This is one reason why my father retired early at 58.

He had been ill-on and off. He found out that the average pension payout at his firm was 67-68 years old. He decided to retire and took a medical pension.

He moved to the west coast. Played golf three times a week. Six months later-no stess, exercise, better lifestyle, his health issues began to recede. He collected his pension until age 89, after which my mother collected the survivor portion for another three years.

I did the same, although I did not have health issues. I only hope that I live as long as he did in retirement and enjoy the same quality of life right up until my last days.

One of the main reasons I retired was the stress level of the job. No matter what issue, it rolled up to me.

My situation is very similar. Having 400 employees means something is “always on fire” The phone call In the middle of the night doesn’t happen anymore.

My very rudimentary philosophy in my signature below.

While working, we don't have the time, or patience to excercise regularly, because most gyms are jam packed, the pools are crowded, and the sidewalks/roads are a mad house for walking/running/biking, because of all the other folks with the same idea.

We get home from work late in the afternoon, and just want to de-stress, and chill for awhile, not push ourselves even further.

The article describes writings by Alec Riddle a financial planner who draws the conclusion that "people should plan their careers and their finances, enabling them to retire, or at the very least be financially independent, as early as possible." Not too surprising I suppose.

I had some health issues 4 years ago, featuring a 12-day hospital stay which included being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (and another ailment). Being retired meant that I was able to devote 100% of my time and effort toward getting myself better, especially in the firs few weeks after being discharged. This would have been much more stressful and difficult had I still been working, even part-time.

I'm so looking forward NOT having to wake up at 0500 to do cardio/lift before w*rk

Here's an excerpt from a 2018 Harvard article titled "Working later in life can pay off in more than just income"....

The fact is, scientists have found mixed results when they've studied the effect of working past retirement. "Some studies find less of a benefit, no benefit, or maybe even harm. On balance they tend toward the positive," Maestas says.

But she also points out that the mixed findings indicate the health benefits of working simply depend on the individual and his or her circumstances.

Full article here....
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stay...-in-life-can-pay-off-in-more-than-just-income

So as with most things there are two sides to this story.

I think it makes sense that it depends upon the individual.

We are just on this earth such a little time. Older you get, the faster the days and years go by. We're grabbing the gusto as soon as possible.
Bingo. Carpe Diem is the expression, I believe.

Just the awful hours of 3 PM to 3 AM, and having to stay awake when your body is screaming for sleep. Probably good for my health that I'm retired now.

+1

Chronic jet-lag for 20+ years. I'd no sooner get used to a 12 hour time zone change than it was time to go back home and adjust to another 12 hour change, then back again. The road-warrior joke was that you knew it was time to leave once you start sleeping until 6AM.

Waking up at 1AM after 2 hours sleep and then being awake for 22 more hours, drinking a lot more than I should (being entertained by my reps), eating odd foods at odd hours, day after day.

As I write this, it never occurred to me what a strain I was placing on my body until now.

Last edited:
BP while working----142/84 average
BP after retiring at 51 now 54, 117/72, heart rate 62.

Lost 10 lbs, and riding bicycle 120 miles/week. Based on this data, retirement should prolong my life.

Lost 10 lbs, and riding bicycle 120 miles/week. Based on this data, retirement should prolong my life.

that's one thing about being on a defined benefit pension - now I have to live forever :LOL:

Are you on BP meds?

Are you on BP meds?

No meds at all. I think 3 things improved the BP:

1--No work stress
2--Satisfying daily accomplishments
3--Much more exercise.

What ever dropped the BP, I feel great. I used to be able to feel my heart pulsing when at work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom