Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
How do you like the Garmin? I have a very cheap knock off, about $24, and I find it works great when I am on a walk or hike, but around home it generates a huge number of phantom steps.

I have the Vivoactive 3 and like it. I did find the built in heart rate monitor inconsistent when doing activities like jogging so I just pair it with an old chest strap I had sitting around. It also has a golf app that I use all the time, shows distances to front/middle/back of green and comes with a scorecard. In addition it will show a summary of your golf 'activity' showing total time, moving time, distance, pace, calories burned, heart rate (max/avg), etc.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We have used Runkeeper for years to track out walks.
Morgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:12 PM   #23

I'm also quite happy with Mapmyrun.com
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationalphrase View Post
Strava.
+1
I use this for bike riding but it can be use for running or other activities. It is free unless you want the fancy upgrade with more features for a fee. I just use the free app.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup X 2

Tom
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Garmin Forerunner watch with Garmin Connect works great for me.

DW has Apple watch and loves it.

The Garmin watch face is large.

We run, walk, hike and it's really nice to be able to track performance, personal records, heartrate, etc.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #27

If you use android - google fit does a good job tracking distance, speed, etc. You can also manually input other workout data that doesn't get triggered by the GPS. It can also sync to fitbit.

For example - I know my dog walk this morning was 3.29 miles and took a leisurely 64 minutes. The mapping is detailed enough that I can see where I jumped into driveways or the street to maintain social distance with other walkers/runners.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #28
gone traveling

I purchased a fitbit for about $90 last year.
It's been great to track my walking.
For more money you can get more.
There are also a multitude of phone apps available but having a watch on is nice which you don't forget.
dd564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #29

Fitbit has released a new watch, the Charge 4, with built-in GPS. Iíll consider replacing my current Versa after reviews start rolling in.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Garmin watch gets uploaded to Garmin connect, then sent to Strava.
I use the same platforms as Runningbum. Garmin Connect to Strava. Garmin FR35 no frills watch for walking, running, hiking, and biking. I wear it 24/7 and use it for daily alarms. Generally do not run with a phone but have used MapMyRun, Runkeeper, and others in the past.

Did use a Fitbit Charge in the past but their hardware durability is terrible. Finally gave up on it. Hope to upgrade to a Garmin Venu when the FR35 ceases to function.
georgemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #31

I gave up looking for an app. I just estimate time and distance walked.

The problem was, all of these apps want to be "social" apps. They want to upload your data to the cloud, and encourage you to share and compete with all your friends.

The thing is, I have no friends I want to share my walk data with. Or corporations.

Oh, and all it takes is one bad waypoint a half-mile from where it's supposed to be to throw the whole thing out of whack. Like if the phone loses the GPS signal and interpolates from cell towers, it adds a "spike" from your walking path in some random direction and back.

I find it more enjoyable to just walk, and not obsess over some app.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I gave up looking for an app. I just estimate time and distance walked.

The problem was, all of these apps want to be "social" apps. They want to upload your data to the cloud, and encourage you to share and compete with all your friends.

The thing is, I have no friends I want to share my walk data with. Or corporations.
The apps may want to share and comment socially, but you don't have to do that. You may have to turn off notifications and stuff to get it to stop bothering you, but that's like every app these days, it seems.
Quote:

Oh, and all it takes is one bad waypoint a half-mile from where it's supposed to be to throw the whole thing out of whack. Like if the phone loses the GPS signal and interpolates from cell towers, it adds a "spike" from your walking path in some random direction and back.
I've never had a problem with that. I think most apps would have some corrective algorithms to recognize this and remove that waypoint.
Quote:

I find it more enjoyable to just walk, and not obsess over some app.
That's fine, but the OP specifically asked for a way to track it. Not sure why you have to denigrate it by using the term "obsess".
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #33

I am mostly happy with my fitbit. It records all kinds of exercise (and kind of fun to see it map my wanderings during a round of golf). I prefer having a watch as I do not carry my phone all the time (especially when working out, it just gets in the way). It saves and uploads my data but I do not have to share it with anyone nor get "social". I like that it does not require a phone app, it provides a USB dongle that I plug into a computer and will upload the data whenever I am within 10 feet of it. The biggest issue is that the bands do not last. At least, with the charge 2 HR, the band is replaceable and there are a lot of inexpensive replacements available.

The biggest issue
Old 04-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
That's fine, but the OP specifically asked for a way to track it. Not sure why you have to denigrate it by using the term "obsess".
Oh, no. It was me who was obsessing over the whole app thing. I should have been more clear.

The point was, think about how you're going to use it. If you're not into the social thing, make sure it does what you want without that.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Got lots of good info here. After looking at several apps, I settle on Asics "Runkeeper". The free version does everything I want. One minor complaint is a couple of times it went to "activity paused" when I didn't pause, but then quickly goes back to "activity resumed".
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
Got lots of good info here. After looking at several apps, I settle on Asics "Runkeeper". The free version does everything I want. One minor complaint is a couple of times it went to "activity paused" when I didn't pause, but then quickly goes back to "activity resumed".
Double check in Settings to see if it has an Auto Pause mode and disable it if present.
georgemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #37

I'm testing Runtastic and Sportstracker apps after becoming frustrated with MapMyHike/MapMyRun for my biking, hiking walking and other workouts. Will see where that takes me.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #38
Confused about dryer sheets

MapMyRun - is a good one.
yahh2725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #39
gone traveling

Old school , get in the car drive what ya jogged .
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote