Salt, we hardly know ye

Just make sure you taste the salt substitutes. KCl is salt, it's just a different salt. I just tried the two and if there's a difference, it is slight.

And, a cautionary tale: Last year I wanted daughter Jenny to try a salt substitute. I put down two pinches of regular salt (both exactly the same), and told her one was a salt substitute.

She tasted them both, then pointed to one and said "Oh, yuck, that's the substitute -- it tastes terrible." They were the same.

It shows you how strongly our taste is subject to our mind.

If I had to quit eating "regular" salt, I would skip the salt substitutes too no matter how identical their taste is to "regular" salt--i.e., I'd get over the salt addiction completely. If I had to :).

I would rather have a root canal than give up salt.

If I had to give up salt, I would probably increase my consumption of other spices. If my food is (spicy) hot enough, I doubt I could even tell if it was salted or not. It is so hard to imagine living on a low salt diet, though. It is seems ubiquitous.

Bestwifeever said:
If I had to quit eating "regular" salt, I would skip the salt substitutes too no matter how identical their taste is to "regular" salt--i.e., I'd get over the salt addiction completely. If I had to :).

Here's the thing: the potassium is good for you. The more you eat the better. If you were convinced of that, what would be the logic of giving it up?

Here's the thing: the potassium is good for you. The more you eat the better. If you were convinced of that, what would be the logic of giving it up?

Potassium within reasonable limits is good for you. Overdo it too much and it can be VERY dangerous.

DH gets his potassium in a supplement--he doesn't tie it to a salt shaker. Could that work?

Last edited:
Bestwifeever said:
DH gets his potassium in a supplement--he doesn't tie it to a salt shaker. Could that work?

Unfortunately, no. Here's why. Potassium is indeed dangerous to some people with certain medical conditions. As a result, supplements are limited by law to 99 mg of potassium. That's a small fraction of the RDA of 4700 mg.

Just make sure you taste the salt substitutes. KCl is salt, it's just a different salt. I just tried the two and if there's a difference, it is slight.

And, a cautionary tale: Last year I wanted daughter Jenny to try a salt substitute. I put down two pinches of regular salt (both exactly the same), and told her one was a salt substitute.

She tasted them both, then pointed to one and said "Oh, yuck, that's the substitute -- it tastes terrible." They were the same.

It shows you how strongly our taste is subject to our mind.

People rarely eat salt alone. Maybe the first taste was a shock, or the second taste was just too much.

I just don't take much stock in your little experiment. Prepare two salty dishes with each type, and give the sampler three samples - two of which are identical. Then see if they can pick out the difference and a preference.

edit/add: And what if the two samples you used were KCl? What would that result tell us?

-ERD50

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no. Here's why. Potassium is indeed dangerous to some people with certain medical conditions. As a result, supplements are limited by law to 99 mg of potassium. That's a small fraction of the RDA of 4700 mg.

My Morton salt substitute has 610 mg of potassium per 1.2 gram serving. If I was already getting lots of potassium in my diet and believed you when you wrote.

Here's the thing: the potassium is good for you. The more you eat the better.

I might think it would be a good idea to consume 10 servings and could overdo it to the point of it being dangerous. I hope you realize that it is potassium that is the killer in lethal injection death sentences.

I took my BP yesterday morning, and it was 121/73. Conclusion? - I'm not going to worry about the salt in my diet for now. :)

The last time I checked, Japan's consumption of salt is the highest in the world (all the miso soup and noodle soups they eat, not to mention the various pickled vegetables they eat??) and coincidentally (or not), they have one of the highest stomach cancer incidents, especially in men. Some people say smoking is the problem, some say salt. Maybe combination compounds the probability (more males smoke.) But they still enjoy longevity, although numbers for the males aren't as impressive as for the females.

What does it all mean in regards to salt??

I have no idea.

I have not read the rest of this thread but I agree with jclarksnakes. Please do not over consume potassium. All you need to do is to google "potassium" and "arrhythmia". Keep safe everyone.
Potassium within reasonable limits is good for you. Overdo it too much and it can be VERY dangerous.

It appears that some of the recommendations on salt may not have been good for most people. I hate to say it but salt is another example of 'experts' jumping to a conclusion before all the facts are in. Sort of like the eggs are bad for you but sugar bomb cereals are good for you advice of a decade ago.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/201...220924442&mc_cid=df60067447&mc_eid=e138f60355

For years, researchers have been trying to answer the question: Is salt good or bad for people? And for years the answer keeps coming back that moderate salt consumption (2.5-5 grams of sodium daily) is not dangerous.
Cutting back to below 1.5 grams daily as recommended by the AHA, however, might pose unexpected risks.

Although moderate sodium intake raised blood pressure somewhat, it appeared to lower the risk of death from heart attacks. Very high intake of sodium, greater than 5 grams daily, was associated with an elevated risk of strokes.

Back
Top Bottom