Saturated Fat Does not Cause Heart Disease According to the JACC

Sadly true but it isn't that one can't have an ice cream cone once in awhile, it's eating the whole quart at a sitting, three times a week, at bedtime, where the problem lies! :D

Yup. If the pint of ice cream is taken to the bedroom, forget it. If a serving is laid out, then a fighting chance.

"...saturated fatty acid [increases] larger LDL which are much less strongly related to CVD risk."

So LDL is still somewhat of a cardiovascular disease risk, but the study also found "protective effects against stroke."

"It is also apparent that the health effects of foods cannot be predicted by their content in any nutrient group, without considering the overall macronutrient distribution"

It sounds like people with elevated CVD risk without elevated stroke risk should reduce saturated fat without reducing other nutrients. They specify macronutrients, not obscure micronutrients that we don't know much about, so it kind of sounds easy. Supplements may work.

Investigating saturated fat alternatives should be the next study if it hasn't been done already. Fat builds up around the heart and in the arteries as we age and kills people.

Exactly. And there are studies to "prove" all of those 7 or 8 opinions. I think I might pass on this discussion as nobody is going to persuade others to change their mind - so what's the point? Kind of like putting your political beliefs on Facebook, thinking others will concede to your point of view.
+1. These days you can find a reasonably credible source to confirm almost anything you want to believe. That’s why more people don’t know much for sure anymore...it’s become part of our culture in America. The irony is we have access to more information than ever, too bad huge amounts of it are false...

The article doesn't seem to support the American College of Cardiology (ACC) listed nutrition guidelines for the 'Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease', which calls for reduction of saturated fate, or maybe their guidelines need to be updated.
1. A diet emphasizing intake of vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, whole grains, and fish is recommended to decrease ASCVD risk factors.
2. Replacement of saturated fat with dietary monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats can be beneficial to reduce ASCVD risk.
3. A diet containing reduced amounts of cholesterol and sodium can be beneficial to decrease ASCVD risk.
4. As a part of a healthy diet, it is reasonable to minimize the intake of processed meats, refined carbohydrates, and sweetened beverages to reduce ASCVD risk

Good luck waiting for the experts to revise their guidelines. Listen to Nina Teicholz talk about that sometime. She's the author of The Big Fat Surprise and head of the Nutrition Coalition, which has the unenviable task of trying to get the government to revise its ridiculously outdated nutritional guidelines (which filter down to your doctor, who thinks they are authoritative, because science). She's optimistic that eventually something will budge, but it's a long, uphill battle, against a lot of bias and entrenched opinion. Fifty years ago, some very stupid decisions were made, and we're still paying the price.

The issue isn't just the state of science (which in the field of nutrition, is kind of a joke anyway); it's vested financial interests and entrenched bias among the decision-makers.

As in paradigm shifts in other fields, it may require the death of the old brigade, and their replacement by younger people who haven't been indoctrinated in these old ideas about fat being the devil.

Unfortunately, we'll all probably be dead before that happens, because we're about the same age as the old guard I'm talking about. There's my cheery thought for the evening, lol.

My strategy has been to learn the subject for myself and not wait for the 'experts' to figure it out. I continue to learn. Everything I know tells me saturated fat is fine and indeed essential and healthy. If it is consumed in certain forms (e.g., as a form of processed food, or in combination with lots of refined carbs -- which is how most people eat it), THEN it is a problem -- but that's more about the environment that the satfat is in, or what has been done to it, not the satfat itself.

Last edited:
When red wine was approved I stopped watching any more results.

Wine is good
Fat is good
Cannabis is good
Sunshine is good
NOT exercising and enjoying the little things is good
Ice cream is the best, especially Chocolate and Cookies & Cream
Smelling flowers is good
Enjoying nature is good
Retirement life is good... unless you get caught up in silly online spats!
:):):)

Last edited:
The article doesn't seem to support the American College of Cardiology (ACC) listed nutrition guidelines for the 'Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease', which calls for reduction of saturated fate, or maybe their guidelines need to be updated.
The nutrition guidelines are horribly out of date. A lot of these organizations seem to cling to the old ways. At least the US nutrition guidelines dropped cholesterol intake as a nutrient of concern and also stopped pushing an overall limit on fat intake. But they are still talking about limiting ingested cholesterol here, even though it’s been dropped for many years now.

Last edited:
Good luck waiting for the experts to revise their guidelines. Listen to Nina Teicholz talk about that sometime. She's the author of The Big Fat Surprise and head of the Nutrition Coalition, which has the unenviable task of trying to get the government to revise its ridiculously outdated nutritional guidelines (which filter down to your doctor, who thinks they are authoritative, because science). She's optimistic that eventually something will budge, but it's a long, uphill battle, against a lot of bias and entrenched opinion. Fifty years ago, some very stupid decisions were made, and we're still paying the price.

The issue isn't just the state of science (which in the field of nutrition, is kind of a joke anyway); it's vested financial interests and entrenched bias among the decision-makers.

As in paradigm shifts in other fields, it may require the death of the old brigade, and their replacement by younger people who haven't been indoctrinated in these old ideas about fat being the devil.

Unfortunately, we'll all probably be dead before that happens, because we're about the same age as the old guard I'm talking about. There's my cheery thought for the evening, lol.

My strategy has been to learn the subject for myself and not wait for the 'experts' to figure it out. I continue to learn. Everything I know tells me saturated fat is fine and indeed essential and healthy. If it is consumed in certain forms (e.g., as a form of processed food, or in combination with lots of refined carbs -- which is how most people eat it), THEN it is a problem -- but that's more about the environment that the satfat is in, or what has been done to it, not the satfat itself.

+1000. All of this "saturated fat is bad" nonsense started with Ancel Keys back in the 1950s, and his flawed diet-heart hypothesis. Keys cherry-picked data from seven countries because they supported his hypothesis. He left out 15 countries that did not reveal any association between saturated-fat consumption and heart mortality. It was not discovered until much later that he had done this, and by then the damage was done. The AHA picked up on his hypothesis and made avoidance of saturated fat part of their official diet recommendations. And you can see what all of the low-fat diet advice has done to us..........more obesity, more heart disease, more diabetes. Great advice, huh?

Like you, Eddie, I expect to be dead before we get rid of this flawed dietary advice. But in the meantime, I am going to enjoy my steak and all of it's evil saturated fat!

Wine is good
Fat is good
Cannabis is good
Sunshine is good
Smelling flowers is good
Enjoying nature is good

Everything in moderation - including moderation!

Wine is good
Fat is good
Cannabis is good
Sunshine is good
Smelling flowers is good
Enjoying nature is good
Thank you. You forgot salt, though.

Stopping eating crap is by far the most important first step.
+1

My recent bloodwork bears that out. In March my total cholesterol was 245, it was 167 in June. The rest of my numbers were equally as good.

My cholesterol went way up. Why? Because I was eating more saturated fat. No junk - just healthy low carb food prepared at home.

My other blood numbers are stellar as is my Trig/HDL which indicates extremely low ASCVD risk in spite of high cholesterol.

I'm still searching for the perfect diet, but I don't think one article from researchers linked to the dairy and cattle industry is going to change my mind from moving toward plant based. The only published studies I'm aware of on actually reversing reversing heart disease are low fat, plant based and mainly vegetarian (Ornish diet). I don't completely eat like that but we've moved towards that direction. I also see studies like this video where the blood from people eating plant based is much better at killing cancer cells, than a standard American diet, so I have a hard time believing this isn't the right direction for us to head towards dietwise - https://nutritionfacts.org/video/developing-an-ex-vivo-cancer-proliferation-bioassay/

Okay. Can someone tell me where's the thread about what I should do after my heart attack, or what's the best statin to use, or perhaps what's the best way to get rid of my obesity?

I honestly think a lot of this is genetic. My Slavic grandparents ate lard sandwiches and both lived well into their nineties. Neither had heart problems. My dad passed at 96 and he ate similar foods. None of them were overweight, all were rather slim, with the men being naturally muscular. I would not advise this diet to everyone, I am just pointing out that there is much we don't understand.

My Slavic grandparents ate lard sandwiches and both lived well into their nineties.

Thanks for the memory. My father always talked about being sent to school every day (3 mile walk, uphill both ways) with a lard sandwich for lunch. When I was 14 years old I finally met his mother and asked her about it. Her response was to laugh and say "He never saw a lard sandwich in his life." :LOL:

I was diagnosed a few years ago with Type II diabetes - but now low on the pre-diabetic spectrum. I believe I did this by INCREASING the amount of fat I ate especially with a high carb item (slows absorption of carbs), taking a magnesium supplement every morning (helps regulate blood sugar), and lowering stress (left that toxic workplace).
I stay away from anything labeled "low fat" (usually higher carbs per serving than the regular) too.

My grandparents ate everything but the squeal and the moo from farm animals. They ate head cheese, blood sausage, bacon, whole milk, eggs, kielbasa, liver, tripe, pig's feet, and a host of other items. They lived into their '90's. My father despised anything with fat, made with fat, or resembled fat. He wouldn't eat a rib eye, prime rib, sausage of any kind, pepperoni, liver, and rarely bacon. He was dead at 70.

My grandparents ate everything but the squeal and the moo from farm animals. They ate head cheese, blood sausage, bacon, whole milk, eggs, kielbasa, liver, tripe, pig's feet, and a host of other items. They lived into their '90's. My father despised anything with fat, made with fat, or resembled fat. He wouldn't eat a rib eye, prime rib, sausage of any kind, pepperoni, liver, and rarely bacon. He was dead at 70.

Lol, you listed some of my favorite foods! And I just had a heart attack - at 56. So I replaced pig's feet and blood sausages diet with vegetables and fruit. I'll probably die in 5 years... :cool:

LCHF and (IF) intermitment fasting seem to be working for me for two years now, A1c=5.4 LDL 82, HDL 59 Total 155, COL/HDL= 2.6, TRI+ 87, TRI/HDL= 1.4, BMI= 20.8.
I am/was prediabetic and on a sharp curve toward diabetic so I'm hoping I caught things early. Some adjustment to LCHF (and sometimes KETO) diet but loving it now. Eat plenty, never hungry, hard to keep weight up.

Back
Top Bottom