Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #41

So there are "experts" and "studies" claiming carbs are bad, fat is good.
And there are other "experts and "studies" claiming animal based protein is bad and we should go to a 100% plant based diet.

Even in this thread there is discussion of legumes being good... but aren't they also carbs - which are bad?

I'm choosing to ignore it all... eat food that is recognizable to it's basic ingredients (so getting rid of a lot of processed food.) Eating lots of veggies, lots of fruit (oh no!!! carbs!!!) and lots of beans, some meat, some dairy. In other words... I'm eating a relatively healthy diet.

I'm losing some much needed weight - but I think that has a lot more to do with the increased swimming I'm doing than the food intake.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Who are these people, who had you eating such things?
I can't speak for Chuckanut. Let me tell you my story.

These people are primarily ME.

Doctor and books say: "Don't eat fat." I say: "OK, I'll eat no-fat items."

I'm hungry, because I'm not eating fat. I need something. Better stay away from the chips/crisps, because they have fat. Oh, those low-fat/no-fat snacks look good!

And before you know it, it is a habit.

It is a habit that can be justified, poorly, I know. There always was a little voice saying: "You really can't do this." But when you are hungry, the brain shrinks.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
So there are "experts" and "studies" claiming carbs are bad, fat is good.
And there are other "experts and "studies" claiming animal based protein is bad and we should go to a 100% plant based diet.

Even in this thread there is discussion of legumes being good... but aren't they also carbs - which are bad?

I'm choosing to ignore it all... eat food that is recognizable to it's basic ingredients (so getting rid of a lot of processed food.) Eating lots of veggies, lots of fruit (oh no!!! carbs!!!) and lots of beans, some meat, some dairy. In other words... I'm eating a relatively healthy diet.

I'm losing some much needed weight - but I think that has a lot more to do with the increased swimming I'm doing than the food intake.
+1

There have been so many studies that have been put out in the last 25 years that have been disputed by new studies. I have been told to drink more water due to a history of gout to being told not to drink too much water because I am taking a water pill for BP.

Comes down to:

Don't eat like a pig
Limit portions
Everything in moderation
Exercise

BTW, just read an article that said exercise is good but not the main way to lose weight (eat less). I'm so confused!
Old 09-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
. And they were not urging me to substitute chocolate milk for regular.

Here's an example, unless I don't remember correctly, the Feds forced most school districts to take whole milk off the menu, but did allow chocolate non-fat milk which had added sugar.

And, there is the very reputable heart health outfit that gave it's endorsement to a chocolate sugar bomb cereal. Now, if that is not urging people to eat the wrong foods, I don't know what is.

Is Cocoa Puffs no longer heart healthy?

Then there is the movement to replaced saturated fats with trans-fats since trans-fats were supposedly better for us:

http://www.academia.edu/1429225/The_...Saturated_Fats

Quote:
In the 1980s, responding to the connection that medical authorities made between saturated fats and heart disease, CSPI and another activist organization, the National Heart Savers Association (NHSA), campaigned vigorously against corporations’ use of saturated fats, endorsing trans fats as a healthy, or healthier, alternative. Many contemporaneous medical authorities shared the view that trans fats were healthier than saturated fats.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So when will those people who had us eating high-transfat margarine, lots more processed carbs, sugary non-fat cookies and muffins, drinking low-fat chocolate milk instead of whole milk, and cutting down on cheese and full fat yogurt going to apologize for misleading us?
This is what Max Plank said about the apology we will never receive.

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

I suspect they will continue to defend their ideas until they die as Plank suggests.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Smoking. Huge factor. And a move to more sedentary lifestyle. Sitting in an office and smoking? Bad!

There are all kinds of breakouts on the Framington study. One of the ones that was interesting was that the longshoremen (old school, before the massive mechanization) seemed to not have the MI risk of the general population, even though smoking was very high among them. I think this was one of the initial studies that woke up the establishment in a big way to the benefit of exercise.
Interesting, thanks.

Ha
Old 09-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I always take ANY study with a grain of salt (or spoon of bacon grease). You have to look at the motivations of the study, who paid for it, and exactly WHAT was studied. I have read enough studies about how crappy studies can be that I tend to discount ALL of them.

My Dad recently turned 90. He smoked for 35+ years, has had a drink (or 4 or 5) every day of his life for the last 70 years. When Mom was still around and cooking, every single vegetable we had was made even better with a goop of bacon fat. Now, he eats almost nothing but microwave meals and oatmeal. He has diminished lung capacity and a-fib, but that's about it. He lives an independent life and does pretty much everything he wants to do. So what does this mean? As far as I am concerned, there are SOOO many factors into leading a healthy, long life that I take a common sense approach with my choices. Everything from what I eat, to how I drive, to what I spend my money on. And I realize that in the end, how long I live will boil down to these common sense approaches and luck.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Increasing carbs is "likely damaging"

Increasing fats is "protective"

"too low fats and to high fats are bad"

"no data to reduce the fat content of milk"

"saturated fats is neutral"

So when will those people who had us eating high-transfat margarine, lots more processed carbs, sugary non-fat cookies and muffins, drinking low-fat chocolate milk instead of whole milk, and cutting down on cheese and full fat yogurt going to apologize for misleading us?

I want to know when they will be physically HARMED because they have it coming to them! bring out the waterboard and the 24 hour live streaming
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #49

Interesting to note - the much maligned Ancel Keys lived to the age of 100, presumably following his own advice.
Quote:
After observing in southern Italy the highest concentration of centenarians in the world, Keys hypothesized that a Mediterranean-style diet low in animal fat protected against heart disease and that a diet high in animal fats led to heart disease. The results of what later became known as the Seven Countries Study appeared to show that serum cholesterol was strongly related to coronary heart disease mortality both at the population and at the individual level.[28][29] As a result, in 1956 representatives of the American Heart Association appeared on television to inform people that a diet which included large amounts of butter, lard, eggs, and beef would lead to coronary heart disease. This resulted in the American government recommending that people adopt a low-fat diet in order to prevent heart disease.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancel_Keys
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Interesting to note - the much maligned Ancel Keys lived to the age of 100, presumably following his own advice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancel_Keys
Except that a mediterranean diet is definitely not low in animal fat.

And one guy who was a genetic freak doesn't really mean anything. Like the people, some referred to here, who smoke, drink, and don't even think about what they eat who live long robust lives
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

The amount of olive oil consumed in the med is hard for the rest of the world to believe. It is really impressive. I should say that the amount of smoking in Greece is also off the charts. If they'd stop smoking in Greece, I think everyone may be 100.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Having lived to see the rehabilitation of eggs, bacon, coffee, peanut butter and other foods once considered to be unhealthy, I fully expect that we will see more reversals in nutrition science since it appears to be more religion than science.

Personally, I consider French vanilla ice cream and Root beer to be health food since an occasional root beer float puts a smile on my face.

Everything in moderation.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Root beer floats, I've seen them serve this at a local nursing home for an afternoon snack between dinner at noon and supper at five..Big glasses full of regular RB and ice cream. 90% of the residents on that floor are in wheel chairs and more then a few are diabetic.
WTH My SIL Mom is on that floor and in 4 months gained 16 pounds.Shes an insulin dependent diabetic. But don't worry. they have a dietitian on staff that approves all the menus.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
But don't worry. they have a dietitian on staff that approves all the menus.
I always have a big serving of steamed veggies with my root beer float main course.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Root beer floats, I've seen them serve this at a local nursing home for an afternoon snack between dinner at noon and supper at five..Big glasses full of regular RB and ice cream. 90% of the residents on that floor are in wheel chairs and more then a few are diabetic.
WTH My SIL Mom is on that floor and in 4 months gained 16 pounds.Shes an insulin dependent diabetic. But don't worry. they have a dietitian on staff that approves all the menus.
My mom is 99 now and lives for sweety things. I'd say its a third of her diet.. Not counting the multiple cups of sugared teas she loves. My friend told me that her mom was the same in her 90s. Apparently your taste buds don't work as well when you get older so what the hell.. They may as well enjoy their food.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
My mom is 99 now and lives for sweety things. I'd say its a third of her diet.. Not counting the multiple cups of sugared teas she loves. My friend told me that her mom was the same in her 90s. Apparently your taste buds don't work as well when you get older so what the hell.. They may as well enjoy their food.
at 99 yes she should enjoy her food..it seems ironic to me that a full care nursing home would pump diabetics full of worthless sugar calories.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If someone is old enough to live in a nursing home, does it really matter? Can't they just enjoy what time they have left?

My brother would get concerned about our Dad's increased use of salt in his meals and sugar in his coffee. A bit frail but otherwise healthy, I figure he's past his mid 80s so how can that matter.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If someone is old enough to live in a nursing home, does it really matter? Can't they just enjoy what time they have left?

My brother would get concerned about our Dad's increased use of salt in his meals and sugar in his coffee. A bit frail but otherwise healthy, I figure he's past his mid 80s so how can that matter.
I take your point on that - to an extent. If they made it to 85 or 90 without our input, then who are we (relative youngsters) to tell them what to do.
Alas, completely letting go for a diabetic person who needs insulin shots means many more life-impairing co-morbidities to deal with. So, it's not like they just drop dead because they eat a gallon of ice cream a day, but their quality of life probably decreases significantly, and that is not what most people want.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I'd argue it matters more. They get three meals a day and three snacks. I didn't say they should starve, only that there has to be a better option then root beer floats. High blood sugar decreases quality of life.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess the diabetic residents in nursing homes could have diet root beer with their ice cream it that would help keep them in balance. My Dear Mother, who will be 94 this month and not diabetic nor is she in a nursing home , thoroughly enjoys her root beer floats or a small scoop of sherbet or Neapolitan ice cream just about every night. She isn't overweight at all, but is enjoying life while she still can.

I once heard a radio program with a geriatrician talking about elderly nursing home patients losing weight and losing their desire to eat. His philosophy was that "all calories are good calories" in those cases and he would let them eat candy and ice cream if it will keep them from starving themselves. My Mother eats like a small bird, so I am happy to see her have an interest in meals and desserts if that will help her keep her weight up to a healthy range.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote