Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2022, 04:26 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scuba, all the best to you on your recovery. Please keep all your friends here updated.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2022, 06:31 AM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

Had shoulder repair right shoulder and I am right handed.
What a terrible experience, blessing in disguise. After 3 months had frozen shoulder. Had a cortisone shot. Started seeing a massage therapy and hired a trainer.
I was so frustrated, had been retired 2 years prior, I couldn’t even hook my farm equipment up…ugh So I have been in the gym two days a week for 6 months. I am a lot stronger and have full range of motion. Lost weight so a lot of good things came out of this. But all I can tell you be prepared to WORK if you want full recovery.
Traveller2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Glad you came out of your surgery as planned. Now just follow what the PT guys say and you'll progress well.

My wife's finally having her bottom four discs removed 7/12 and 7/14. 2-3 hours the first day going through her side & front removing bottom discs and replacing with "cages." The second surgery is thru the back removing the other 2 discs and putting in "cages." Then they'll put rods and numerous fusions in her back--8-9 hours of surgery.

She's been in pain mgmt. 20 years, and this is the last resort to lower severe leg and foot pain. The Feds are pushing states to lower use of controlled medications (opioids) dramatically, and 1000's of patients in our state are affected. Patients have gone to the streets for pain meds, and now Fentanyl is killing them.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:07 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Had my surgery today and doc wants me starting post op exercises tomorrow. Looking forward to a complete recovery and will do what I can to cooperate with the doc’s advice.
Great to hear you're Post-Op! Every day will get better and better.
B-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:23 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So far I’ve been able to manage with help from DH. This would be really hard if I lived alone. Our reclining love seat has been really comfortable to sleep on. The post op exercises have been tough, but I’m doing them religiously as I think PT will help me get my functionality back more quickly. Pain pills are helping as is my continuous flow ice machine.

I get to shower today - yay! The sling they gave me is huge but very protective. Looking forward to my post op appointment so the doc can assess my progress.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:37 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Scuba, glad you are managing so well and that you have a good "nurse." I bet in month to 6 weeks you will be saying "glad I had this done--wish I had done it sooner."
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:33 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Scuba--best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Ice, pain control, PT, good diet and plenty of fluids to help with healing :-)
Old 07-02-2022, 06:39 PM   #49

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. The post operative exercises are vital, in particular for a shoulder, so I'm glad to see you're doing them.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:59 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

So glad you are on the mend. My sister had this surgery and PT was a real blessing. She got her full range of motion back.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:11 PM   #51

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments. They help keep me motivated despite the pain!
Old 07-03-2022, 08:25 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thank you - very good advice! Had my surgery today and doc wants me starting post op exercises tomorrow. Looking forward to a complete recovery and will do what I can to cooperate with the doc’s advice. He repaired my tear and also removed some bone spurs and arthritis while he was in there.
Fingers crossed for a quick recovery!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:15 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I hope you a fast recovery and glad all went well for you.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #54

Scuba--update us please. By now the worst pain is no doubt over but the rehab exercises are in the early phase. I still have the cane I had to swing around for months--ugh! And all those wall crawls. But--it does get better, slowly, day by day. Hope you have a very good PT.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #55

Six weeks to the day I was able to jettison the "dreaded sling" that has been my constant companion 24/7. The shoulder feels good. The range of motion is excellent. Now time to start strengthening. Doc says as long as I don't lift anything over a pound or two I should be fine. Going to take a while to get confidence in the right arm again. I am still freaked about retearing it!
Old 07-07-2022, 10:52 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we have been thinking about you, Scuba.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:13 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Six weeks to the day I was able to jettison the "dreaded sling" that has been my constant companion 24/7. The shoulder feels good. The range of motion is excellent. Now time to start strengthening. Doc says as long as I don't lift anything over a pound or two I should be fine. Going to take a while to get confidence in the right arm again. I am still freaked about retearing it!

This is great to hear! The sling is very protective but also very uncomfortable for me. Glad your shoulder is feeling good and you have great range of motion! Best wishes for the next phase of your recovery,
Old 07-07-2022, 10:22 PM   #58

Thank you all for thinking of me. I so appreciate the well wishes.

My surgery was 8 days ago. I had a setback yesterday when the pain med I’d been on since the night of the surgery made me violently ill. At least I think it was the cause - an hour or so after taking it, I started vomiting and could not keep anything other than very small amounts of water down for the rest of the night. I stopped the pain meds yesterday but was very uncomfortable.

Today I felt much better and have been able to eat normally. Tonight I’m trying the pain med again combined with an anti-nausea drug. Fingers crossed.

My range of motion is definitely improving with my daily post op exercises, but my discomfort level is not that much better yet. I’ll be seeing the doc for a post op exam on 7/19. I’m hoping I’ll feel much better by then. All I’m doing is eating, resting with my sling on, and my post op exercises. I’m looking forward to feeling better so I can resume some social activities and get a bit more active. The doc said I can return to the gym for lower body exercises such as the stationary bike in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:09 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you all for thinking of me. I so appreciate the well wishes.

My surgery was 8 days ago. I had a setback yesterday when the pain med I’d been on since the night of the surgery made me violently ill. At least I think it was the cause - an hour or so after taking it, I started vomiting and could not keep anything other than very small amounts of water down for the rest of the night. I stopped the pain meds yesterday but was very uncomfortable.

Today I felt much better and have been able to eat normally. Tonight I’m trying the pain med again combined with an anti-nausea drug. Fingers crossed.

My range of motion is definitely improving with my daily post op exercises, but my discomfort level is not that much better yet. I’ll be seeing the doc for a post op exam on 7/19. I’m hoping I’ll feel much better by then. All I’m doing is eating, resting with my sling on, and my post op exercises. I’m looking forward to feeling better so I can resume some social activities and get a bit more active. The doc said I can return to the gym for lower body exercises such as the stationary bike in a couple of weeks.
So sorry to hear of your set-back. But it sounds like your rehab is proceeding well. Best results to you!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:18 AM   #60

Thanks Koolau. The anti-nausea drug worked so I’m back on my pain med today. Yay!