Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2021, 06:16 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only time my primary care guy ever got visibly upset with me was when I waffled about the colonoscopy. So I had it done.

While they were prepping me for the exam the guy in the enclosure next to me was telling the assistant about his surgery and how he has to do certain thing now. After hearing his story I vowed to never complain about the colonoscopy.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

This study isn't a screening study but related to colon cancer and gut microbes so I thought people on this thread might find it interesting - "L. reuteri was able to prevent colorectal cancer in animal models through the inhibition of tumor progression. Findings showed that this bacterium was critical in the inhibition of tumor progression, the reduction in inflammation, and thus the prevention of tumor progression into carcinogenesis or further metastasis."(PDF) Lactobacillus reuteri's role in the prevention of colorectal cancer: a review of literature (researchgate.net)

L. reuteri also raises vitamin D levels, and low vitamin D levels have also been linked to colon cancer - Vitamin D and colon cancer (nih.gov).

There are cheap, non-risky tests for vitamin D (blood) and l. reuteri (gut), and correcting these deficiencies might aid in preventing the polyps from ever occurring.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The only time my primary care guy ever got visibly upset with me was when I waffled about the colonoscopy. So I had it done.

While they were prepping me for the exam the guy in the enclosure next to me was telling the assistant about his surgery and how he has to do certain thing now. After hearing his story I vowed to never complain about the colonoscopy.
When I turned 50 I had a primary care physician that would not allow any of her patients to stay as her patient unless they got a colonoscopy at age 50. She said she had lost too many patients to colon cancer and she was trying to make sure that did not happen to any more patients.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #64
gone traveling

Bringing to the top to connect with recent discussion in another thread.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

One of my friends, 63, swears she will never have another colonoscopy. She is such a sensible, belt-and-suspenders person in other ways, I can't understand it. So she says they've never found anything....ummm, that doesn't mean something can't decide to show up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I am of a similar opinion, the last colonoscopy I had showed nothing, but I got ischemic colitis after my last one. It was painful and very uncomfortable for 2 weeks. All OK now. Doc, who is a very good one by the way, said it was caused by the prep and me not drinking enough water. He said I did not need another for 10 years anyway. I may think differently when the time comes.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Think of it as preventative maintenance. Colon cancer can go undetected for years. That's why it is called the "Silent Killer". Sadly, when it is detected it's usually in it's stage 4 form. That's what happened to 2 of my family members. We lost both of them. Now regular scheduled colonoscopies are part of our life.
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I heard so many folks complain about getting a colonoscopy…the prep, the fasting, the this, the that. I’ve had two now. Clean on both. They are not that big of a deal.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Colorectal cancer is one of the most lethal cancers and also the most easily detected at an early stage and curable. The other cancer with similar characteristics is cervical cancer which is now largely preventable with the HPV vaccine.

As someone who is quite healthy and at low-risk for most things, I was very happy to get screened as soon as possible. Cologuard and colonoscopy both have pros and cons but eventually DNA based tests like Cologuard will probably become the standard for initial screening for low-risk individuals.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I heard so many folks complain about getting a colonoscopy…the prep, the fasting, the this, the that. I’ve had two now. Clean on both. They are not that big of a deal.
Well, I hate them but they're better than developing colon cancer (and I figure if I get colon cancer and survive there will be MANY more of those miserable tests in my future). They always find stuff to snip out so I'll be back every 5 years.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I intend to have one more and then I am done due to concern about my lining thinning and having a puncture during the procedure. I haven’t had any polyps. My siblings haven’t stopped because they have had many polyps.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:21 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I intend to have one more and then I am done due to concern about my lining thinning and having a puncture during the procedure. I haven’t had any polyps. My siblings haven’t stopped because they have had many polyps.
The recommendation is to continue screening through 75 and consider it from 75-85 in consultation with your doctor (USPSTF)
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:39 PM   #73

I had my covid test today and am now quarantining in prep for my Monday colonoscopy. I have one every three years. The first one was when I was 51 and they found 13 polyps. The last one they found a polyp on my appendix so I opted to have the appendix removed.

The colonoscopy prep that I am to drink cost over $200 without my insurance and $93 with insurance. It's mostly magnesium. Next time I will opt for Miralax or Suprep.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:54 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
The recommendation is to continue screening through 75 and consider it from 75-85 in consultation with your doctor (USPSTF)
I had my third colonoscopy recently at age 70 (the other 2 were at age 50 and 60). I have never had any polyps or other issues so the doctor told me I should not have to have another colonoscopy unless I develop some issues.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Well, I hate them but they're better than developing colon cancer (and I figure if I get colon cancer and survive there will be MANY more of those miserable tests in my future). They always find stuff to snip out so I'll be back every 5 years.
Same here. Always have benign polyps, so every 5 years for me.
The prep for one day is no real big deal. Dying of colon cancer is a bigger deal.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:31 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I had my first one last year and I agree. I dreaded it... but the suprep was easy to drink (I mixed w/sprite, downed in two big chugs).

Then it was just water and...emptying, which was done pretty quickly. Then more water in the AM. Then in and out, and home and a nap and that was that!

Not a big deal at all. I had pizza that night and any dreams of losing 2-3 lbs from the experience quickly disappeared.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #77

Not a big deal! Of course it's a big deal. It's 2 days out of your life for a 10% chance at cancer, and a 90% chance of an intestinal blockage in 20 years or so. https://www.healthline.com/health/tubular-adenoma

I have issues with the insistence that small (less than 1cm) polyps need to be extracted every 5 years, and the income from that 7 minute operation is $1500 -$5,000, and it turns out to be just fine 9 times out of 10.

I'm on the fence about scheduling my 3rd (and final) colonoscopy in my 70's when the first two found fewer than 3 polyps each less than 4mm in size over a 20 year period. Yes there are anecdotal stories, and for those who lost a family member, I am sorry for your loss. But somewhere in here there has to be a point of 'finesse' in the art of medicine with all that is known about colonoscopies and polyp removal.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Not a big deal! Of course it's a big deal. It's 2 days out of your life for a 10% chance at cancer, and a 90% chance of an intestinal blockage in 20 years or so. https://www.healthline.com/health/tubular-adenoma
It's really less than 24 hours. I start my liquid diet in the morning, but I will still be up and active. The prep starts at 5pm and the procedure is at 10am the next morning. I will gladly go through that to minimize a 10% chance of colon cancer.

The one nice thing to say about colon cancer is that it isn't contagious so everyone's decision is truly their own.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
It's really less than 24 hours. I start my liquid diet in the morning, but I will still be up and active. The prep starts at 5pm and the procedure is at 10am the next morning. I will gladly go through that to minimize a 10% chance of colon cancer.

The one nice thing to say about colon cancer is that it isn't contagious so everyone's decision is truly their own.
I, too, find it a not very disruptive event. I had a colonoscopy every year for ten years than skipped ~3 because of the pandemic. They have found 10-15 polyps each time. I had a grandfather and an uncle succumb to colon cancer -- both died in great (excruciating) pain. I had my DNA tested and (apparently) I have no greater risk than the average person.

In any event, to me the few hours of inconvenience is worth the peace of mind. BTW, I am way past 70 years old.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Colon cancer is one of the cancers that is almost 100% preventable--the way to prevent it is to have a colonoscopy. I don't understand why anyone would not do that. I just wish that some other cancers--like pancreatic cancer-- were preventable like colon cancer is.