Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2020, 08:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
OK is it just "annoying" that can be cleared up with these antiviral creams or is it more serious?
Not many people who experience shingles would describe it as only 'annoying'. I think EastWest Gal was being a bit tongue in cheek though she did say 'very annoying'. It is usually very painful in adults and can cause blindness if it affects the eye. Also some people are troubled by significant pain for quite a long time afterwards. Antiviral creams are not really effective. Oral medication at least.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I guess mostly about minimizing being near strangers.

No haircuts, no dental appointments either.
It’s much munch quicker than the above. <15 sec shot. A few minutes with the pharmacist wearing PPE I would hope.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Not many people who experience shingles would describe it as only 'annoying'. I think EastWest Gal was being a bit tongue in cheek though she did say 'very annoying'. It is usually very painful in adults and can cause blindness if it affects the eye. Also some people are troubled by significant pain for quite a long time afterwards. Antiviral creams are not really effective. Oral medication at least.
6 months of severe pain experienced by one friend who didn’t catch it early.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Mine was over about 3 weeks. That was in my 40s. Very painful. My wife had it more recently, caught it early, and had a terrible experience. She missed I think a month of work and still felt effects 6-12 months later.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #25

OP here, I am way way beyond the 72 hours! It has been slow moving. At first I thought the first appearance was a pimple, a couple days later, I thought it was a rather odd Chigger bite, as we have started that season and the little beasts are hungry, then later thought it might be poison ivy, and eventually became clear-cut enough to become obviously the Shingles!
The initial site on my upper chest has not blistered but is colored. What became the main site on forearm has blistered, a few big blisters, biggest 3/8" diameter by 1/8" high, some small ones, looks pretty ugly but covers not much over 1 square inch. And a bump or blister here and there elsewhere.
Nothing on head or neck. No headache, pain, or fever ever. Only feeling-type symptoms are itchyness that comes and goes, had a bit of the tingles on that arm/wrist for less than a day and not continuous. Hypersensitivity I had and have off and on on that arm. The hypersensitivity was even the slightest air movement setting off a weird feeling. Had trouble sleeping, as exhaling through my nose was blowing across my arm a foot away, felt like a hurricane! And in walking, air movement was almost as bad. The hyper sensitivity was extended well above and below the main site. Solved that problem by putting on a sock sleeve that is not tight. Once I got used to the something-on feeling, hyper sensitivity stopped being a problem. Ugly to lift up and peer underneath at, however!

Gross for a moment - but I'm sure somebody wants to know... I am reactive to Chigger bites and Fire Ant bites, and opening blisters from those eases itching and greatly speeds up healing for me, always use 70% isopropyl alcohol before and after. Didn't work with Shingles big blisters, they re-filled in minutes. Seems the puffed-out skin is restraining the fluid, it's under a slight pressure, that pressure balances the pressure inside the skin. Release the external blister pressure, the pressure balance is lost, the skin quickly exudes more, till it balances. Osmotic pressure comes to mind, but is probably wrong. The pin hole seals up with I forgot what they're called, leukocytes? Anyway, it was experimental, didn't help, so not doing it anymore.

Antiviral - Researching has found that Valtrex (generic is Valaciclovir) changes to Aciclovir in the body. Seems that to do any good administration must start within 72 hours of first rash appearance.

From rxlist.com clinical area applying Valtrex:

Quote:
Herpes Zoster
Two randomized, double-blind clinical trials in immunocompetent adults with localized herpes zoster were conducted. VALTREX was compared with placebo in subjects aged less than 50 years and with oral acyclovir in subjects aged greater than 50 years. All subjects were treated within 72 hours of appearance of zoster rash. In subjects aged less than 50 years, the median time to cessation of new lesion formation was 2 days for those treated with VALTREX compared with 3 days for those treated with placebo. In subjects aged greater than 50 years, the median time to cessation of new lesions was 3 days in subjects treated with either VALTREX or oral acyclovir.
So only one day of shortening for those under age 50, that ain't much! And for over age 50 they didn't use a placebo, but rather the base Acyclovir(also spelled Aciclovir), making me wonder if the effect of Aciclover is minimized with age (like "well, our Valtrex is just as good as Aciclovir for those over age 50!"). Some of this reminds me of the Tamiflu efficacy controversy. Either way, I'm way beyond 72 hours!

I'm hopeful that the spreading has slowed to a stop today, will see with a bit more time. I'm thinking that a bit of old Zostavax is still in there swinging away.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:28 AM   #26

My bad. It appears that shingles complications are more common than I thought.

Are you sure it’s shingles? Have you contacted your physician?
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:39 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Telly, shingles normally is only on one side of the body and normally only in one area. From your description it sounds like it is more spread out. You need to go to a doctor to see if it is actually shingles. If you are having trouble sleeping because of the rash, Gabepentine helped me--it is by prescription.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #28

It has been several years since I had shingles. I was only in my 40's at the time, and I thought shingles was an "old person" disease.

We were making the long drive home from visiting family when I first noticed a tenderness on my right thigh. It was right below where my keys hung in the ignition, so I thought maybe they had been rubbing on my leg or something. By the time we got home, most of my right thigh was feeling very sensitive, like a bad sunburn. I still didn't have any rash at that point.

The next day my right side was feeling tender, and I noticed a rash developing on my thigh and right side. By that evening most of my right side was breaking out, and the "sunburn" skin sensitivity was getting worse. Just the clothing rubbing against my skin was painful.

In my case, I didn't have a big area covered with rash, but there were many triangular shaped spots of redness up and down my right side. And the fact that everything was on my right side, nothing on the left. After doing research online I self-diagnosed it was shingles and made a doctor appointment. She confirmed it was shingles and prescribed the acyclovir antiviral drug. I mentioned my "old people" assumption, and she said even teenagers get shingles. Hmm... Live and learn.

I remember my skin being sensitive for about a week or so. From what I've read of other's experiences I think I got off fairly easy, but it still isn't something I would want anyone else to go through.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My experience with Shingles is quite unique. I have been "attacked" for over 15 years. However, it is (normally) a single spot that is, at most, like a mosquito bite. Unfortunately it occurs at and ~3 inches below the belt line in back. Therefore, I don't know what it looks like. Anyway, when it first started before the vaccine was available. I was told that the first vaccine would not be effective if Shingles had already arrived. (After a couple of years we (the doctor & I) decided to try it anyway. Did no good.) The suggested solution was to take a 800mg tab of Acyclovir daily. After a year, I was still having a bout every month or so and gave up that regimen. When the second version of the vaccine was released, I reluctantly took the shot... it did no good.

Okay, now my experience: I can now recognize about 12 hours before it presents -- it happens every month or so. But it is easy to ignore because it starts as an itching that covers a ~6 inch patch. I cure the itching with Neosporin although I find Coconut Oil works also. When it gets to the beginning of the "mosquito bite" stage, I massive dose Acyclovir -2) 800mg tabs in the morning, 1)800mg tab mid-afternoon and 2)tabs in the evening, (Rarely do I have to continue the next day.) The itching gets worse during this time and Neosporin tempers it. During this period, the blister breaks and I know it is retreating. (BTW, I have been told that the "blister break" stage is very contagious, particularly with children -- Chicken Pox. Hand washing is a must)

I said earlier that it was easy to ignore and if I don't start the Acyclovir right away it is harder to control -- it has happened three time where it progressed to 2-3 blisters and took several days to clear up.

I know this will not be useful information for most (if any) folks. But, know that my heart goes out those who tell me about the pain and suffering they are put through. It is a most frustrating disease.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It’s much munch quicker than the above. <15 sec shot. A few minutes with the pharmacist wearing PPE I would hope.
I agree completely yet I struck out last week at my effort to get shot number two. I have a SIL needing the same thing, so I guess I'll call her and we will put our heads together to get this figured out.

The depressing thing was when I asked for the shot I was just told No we aren't doing vaccinations without any indication of when they might actually start doing them...I have till about July 10,to hit 6 months.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
My experience with Shingles is quite unique. I have been "attacked" for over 15 years. However, it is (normally) a single spot that is, at most, like a mosquito bite. Unfortunately it occurs at and ~3 inches below the belt line in back. Therefore, I don't know what it looks like. Anyway, when it first started before the vaccine was available. I was told that the first vaccine would not be effective if Shingles had already arrived. (After a couple of years we (the doctor & I) decided to try it anyway. Did no good.) The suggested solution was to take a 800mg tab of Acyclovir daily. After a year, I was still having a bout every month or so and gave up that regimen. When the second version of the vaccine was released, I reluctantly took the shot... it did no good.

Okay, now my experience: I can now recognize about 12 hours before it presents -- it happens every month or so. But it is easy to ignore because it starts as an itching that covers a ~6 inch patch. I cure the itching with Neosporin although I find Coconut Oil works also. When it gets to the beginning of the "mosquito bite" stage, I massive dose Acyclovir -2) 800mg tabs in the morning, 1)800mg tab mid-afternoon and 2)tabs in the evening, (Rarely do I have to continue the next day.) The itching gets worse during this time and Neosporin tempers it. During this period, the blister breaks and I know it is retreating. (BTW, I have been told that the "blister break" stage is very contagious, particularly with children -- Chicken Pox. Hand washing is a must)

I said earlier that it was easy to ignore and if I don't start the Acyclovir right away it is harder to control -- it has happened three time where it progressed to 2-3 blisters and took several days to clear up.

I know this will not be useful information for most (if any) folks. But, know that my heart goes out those who tell me about the pain and suffering they are put through. It is a most frustrating disease.
What a pain but to reassure you if the children are up to date on their chickenpox vaccine I don't think contagion is much of an issue.

Do you keep a dose of anti-viral on hand for this, I actually have a friend with the same issue except her attacks are much nastier..
Old 06-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Wow Ron Boyd, your Shingles experience is very unusual, never heard anyone with that type of shingles--just goes to show that shingles is a very unusual disease. I am surprised that the new vaccine did not help. I was having Shingles outbreaks every so often but it appears that the new vaccine has stopped it. I am glad you have figured out a way to treat yours.

When my I was having Shingles outbreaks my doctor told me to stay away from pregnant women and small children that had not yet had the chickenpox vaccine. Of course, now many children are not getting vaccines so they are at risk.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What a pain but to reassure you if the children are up to date on their chickenpox vaccine I don't think contagion is much of an issue.
Yeah, I was just sayin. But something to keep in mind if around the very young (infants, for instance). I was just pointing out that the virus is active and transferrable at that stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Do you keep a dose of anti-viral on hand for this, I actually have a friend with the same issue except her attacks are much nastier..
Yes, I do. <chuckle> My prescription is to take one a day and I get a 90 day supply every 3 months. I was putting them in a cabinet because I only used at most 8-9 every month or so. Imagine my surprise when one day I ran out of room in the cabinet and found I had probably a hundred year supply of Acyclovir. (I have not received any more in over a year.)
Old 06-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Wow Ron Boyd, your Shingles experience is very unusual, never heard anyone with that type of shingles--just goes to show that shingles is a very unusual disease.
Yes, I consider myself to be very fortunate.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
......Are you sure it’s shingles? Have you contacted your physician?
Quote:
Originally posted by harllee
Telly, shingles normally is only on one side of the body and normally only in one area. From your description it sounds like it is more spread out. You need to go to a doctor to see if it is actually shingles. If you are having trouble sleeping because of the rash, Gabepentine helped me--it is by prescription.
I'm sure it's Shingles. There is a classic pic on I think it was the CDC website, that has been copied by some others. I no longer have a PCP, as the practice I used to go to has been bought by a practice aggregator. Who instituted new rules in the chain they assembled - Medicare only if you are in one of 3 MA plans that they have agreements with... no other Medicare allowed. Since then, I've had my eye on an urgent care place near me, but they are now closed to patients, they are doing Covid-19 testing by appt. only, nothing else. If for some reason I get desperate, I can go to some other urgent care place, not sure about quality of results. Since I was about 15, I have diagnosed myself, and knew what drug should be prescribed for me, if applicable. I am very very low-maintenance.

What I have found researching online about Shingles is in most cases the same phrases parroted over and over site to site. Some, the laughable ones, describe Shingles as being in a band on one side of your chest/abdomen, THAT is where Shingles are! Yeah right! And the "one side" issue is being overplayed and repeated all over.

I did finally find one that said Shingles is "usually on one side, but may also affect arms and legs" and can be across multiple dermatomes (nerves), instead of this "only one nerve" business that is parroted. I also found one reference that said it can last 2 to 4 weeks, another went out to 6 weeks possible.

One made reference, via the concern about spreading the virus to others not protected, that some blisters can be scaling over and becoming non-contagious, while other blisters may be appearing new and are contagious. That was the only reference to it being an on-going production of blisters for a while, while others are sealing over. All the other sites act like you have these blisters all of a sudden in a group, they all age together, then they start to disappear all together, all in marked phases, no overlap, which made no sense to me!

I did find a dermatome chart, of which I could plot my areas as being on C4/C5, and then one blister each on T11 and L5 that have not had any others join them there.

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/derm...article_em.htm

I suspect the Shingles info on most of the websites, with regard to the patient experience, is out of an old textbook, maybe from the 1940s
Old 06-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Just ran across the med I was on... Valacyclovir 1g oral tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
As I recall, 7-14 days.

I also got the meds. Diagnosis was a funny.... I walk into the walk-in clinic and had to pay $150 just to be seen. I go in and a nurse takes my BP, temp, etc. Then the doc walks in, looks at my neck and says "Yup, that's shingles" and writes me a prescription.

Mine was much more benign than harlee... just like a minor sunburn on part of my neck and outer ear for a couple weeks.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #37

OP here, with the wrap-up on this caper. It was poison ivy! Before I was convinced that I had Shingles, I had considered poison ivy, as I was exposed to it, but didn't think I had gotten any on me. Plus, the long time between the possible exposure and outbreak, being around two weeks, didn't match any description of poison ivy. Nor did me getting continuing outbreaks in odd patterns on areas of the body that certainly were not exposed, nor transferred by hands, tools, etc. But the lack of pain seemed to reduce the chances of it being Shingles. Everyone I found in person who had Shingles, or a family member of same, all mentioned bouts of stabbing pain. And I was painless.

The spreading and new blister sites had finally pretty much ground to a halt when I went to see a doc. He said it was poison ivy and not Shingles because I had it on more than one side, though he was unable to tell me why Shingles couldn't be on more than one side of the body. As far as the much-delayed response, and the continuing eruption of blisters all over, no answer. Gave me a prescription for steroid pills, which I think has sped up the clearing up process.

Since then, I have learned about ACD (Allergic Contact Dermatitis) and Type IV Hypersensitivity. And checked with an Immunologist. Yep, it seems I have become hyper-sensitized to Urushiol, the nasty compound in poison ivy. It all explains the odd effects I had. I will have to watch it now, which will be a real issue, as poison ivy is endemic to this area. And dogs, etc. can run through it with no ill effect, but the oil can be transferred via their fur to others. So I pet dogs at my peril.

So the final result is good, and bad. So onwards, and, um, onwards.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Telly, glad you did not have Shingles. Poison Ivy is bad but Shingles is REALLY bad.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Telly, I think I'm starting to itch in sympathy with you. Had a really bad case of poison ivy as a kid and still remember it - not fondly.

"Gonna need an ocean, of calamine lotion..."

Old 06-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Harllee for the win...