Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Why is it only for those over 60?

Note that it only prevents shingles half the time.
I had the same question. I guess form the WEBMD article, the vaccine hasn't been studied in younger patients. Also, the length of immunity hasn't been studied - may be a waste of $$$ while possibly increasing risk of reaction (anaphylaxis).

As a 44 yo, I was tempted to have my imms nurse give it to me. However, I'm sure she'd object, so I'd have to give it myself, most likely. Will think about it.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW had shingles a few weeks back, and was in tremendous pain. Looking back though, as much pain as she had, it must have been a mild case with just a few splotches on her left front and rear trunk. I guy I knew had it all over, front and back, and the pain was apparently horrible. He was off work for months with the pain...finally came back part time and promptly left. He said that his doc told him stress was often a trigger (certainly was in his case), and DWs doc asked her what kind of stress she had been having.

Sounds to me like a good reason to RE!
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
As a 44 yo, I was tempted to have my imms nurse give it to me. However, I'm sure she'd object, so I'd have to give it myself, most likely. Will think about it.
I asked for this last month when I was still only 50 yrs old (sigh) and my Dr. prescribed, no problem. Worth asking for -- all they can do is say no.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
guy I knew had it all over, front and back, and the pain was apparently horrible. He was off work for months with the pain...finally came back part time and promptly left. He said that his doc told him stress was often a trigger (certainly was in his case), and DWs doc asked her what kind of stress she had been having.
My brother got a bad case of shingles last fall after our mother died. He was very close to her and took her death pretty hard. Then he had to dispose of her things and serve as executor for her estate. All in all, it makes sense that stress might have caused his shingles! It was on his back, and he has been miserable with it for months, poor guy.

I had shingles when I was seven, the year after I had chickenpox. I was not stressed, nor was I miserable. I was just a kid in second grade! I remember hating the lotion my mother kept painting on my shingles, since I thought it worsened the itching and pain.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
My received the vaccine a few months ago. I mother suffered with shingles for the last 15 years of her life. Very uncomfortable and often painful.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #26

DW had it a couple of years ago, very painful. Key, we found, was early treatment. If you even think you might maybe possibly have it SPRINT to your Dr.'s office and camp there until he/she sees you.

If stress was the trigger it was her dad getting an artificial hip because it was right about that time.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #27

Shingles vaccine

Hello Group,
Do you have to be 60 years old? A man I worked with just got over a severe case of shingles. After seeing him suffer I know I don't want it. Can a 55 years old get the dose?
Thanks for info,
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Odds are the health care system is focusing the vaccine on the population most at risk.

My DH was a part of the research study, the VA was the group who tested it in our area. He got shingles during the study (mild case). It turned out that he got the placebo and at the end of the study received the vaccine. As a result of his participation he will receive treatment for shingles for the rest of his life (likely follow-up to the study).
Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #29

Strange that it's only FDA approved for people over 60. I've seen many people suffer (some in their 20s and 30s), and I'd definitely get the vaccine if it significantly reduced my chances of getting it. But I doubt my HMO would give it off-label.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Last summer my mom had shingles in and around her eyes. She said she was hoping she would die so the pain would stop. It was the most painful thing she's ever been through and she has been through a lot. I'm going to suggest she have this vaccine. I wouldn't wish what she went through on my worst enemy.
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

You only need to observe one family member or friend with shingles to make you willing to pay for the vaccine. I got mine at the Public Health department, paid $196 for it (Medicare doesn't cover it, go figure, considering what Medicare is probably having to shell out for cases of shingles.....our gov.....pennywise and pound foolish).

I had no side effects, even the shot site wasn't tender. I'd definitely recommend getting it. The CDC recommends it for everyone over 60. I don't know why it isn't more publicized.

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

LooseChickens is spot on. Having watched FIL suffer for 3+ years with the after-effects of a bad bout of shingles, my PCP absolutely agreed that I should get the vaccine as soon as I turned 60. Our health care plan covered the cost (~$180), but it would have been worth every penny even if they hadn't covered it. A lot of plans are getting wise to this preventative measure and starting to cover it.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

In my area I have seen that Medicare Part D prescription plans have paid
for the vaccine with about a thirty dollar copay. Most other Rx insurance
plans have not paid for and retail cost is about $200-$220.
SlowTwitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Update
Old 03-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Update

When I started this thread last June, my brother was just recovering from his initial bout with shingles. It left him with a droopy eyelid and he recently had that fixed for $22K, covered by his insurance. His vision is still not 100% in the one eye most affected.

The one mistake that he made was not getting immediate medical attention - he waited a day or so. A hard lesson to learn - we are all older and less bullet proof now, so we need to seek medical attention more readily.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got my shingles shot just this last Friday. My doc had been recommending it for about a year. This thread convinced me. This thread is a lot scarier than my doc. My shot cost $250. I'm sure that's on the high end. I'll see if my insurance company will kick in. But, in any case, I believe (hope) it was well worth the money. So, if you folks are looking for a deal, you will easily beat my cost and maybe that will be incentive enough to get the shot.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote