Shingles vaccine

We both got it and had no side effects. Insurance paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

There is more detailed information in this article about the possible new shingles vaccine. I only quoted about a third of the article, more details at the link. I am age 49 and am definitely waiting for the time being and seeing how the new vaccine pans out.

New shingles vaccine puts patients in quandary - philly-archives

New shingles vaccine puts patients in quandary
Public-health experts cheered last month when a pivotal study showed GlaxoSmithKline's experimental shingles vaccine is much more effective than the established Merck vaccine.

In the long run, the prospect of a better shingles shot could improve vaccination rates among people 60 and older, currently a disappointing 24 percent.

But in the short run, the good news creates a bit of a quandary: Should older adults who want protection wait, probably a few years, for approval of the new vaccine, and hope the herpes zoster virus doesn't rear its excruciating rash in the meantime?

"That's a hard question," said Stephanie Bialek, a herpes virus expert at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "It's one we expect a lot of people to have.

And one, she added, that cannot yet be answered because the new vaccine is still being studied. . .

Glaxo has not said when it hopes to file for approval, but it is completing studies of the vaccine in people age 70 and older and in immune-compromised patients, for whom the current vaccine is not safe. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration review can take six months or more.

One question Glaxo "has no formal plans at this point" to explore, Heineman said, is whether people who have had Zostavax could also get the Glaxo vaccine.

Once you get shingles, can you get that again? Just wondering as I had a shingles outbreak back in college. Had that on parts of my chest and back. For me, the outbreak was more itchy than painful.

My dad has had shingles twice, first in his late 20's, then in his
60's. He recalls the better pain management available the
first time (morphine taken orally).

I had shingles last year at age 59. No fun at all. I would gladly have paid $200 to avoid it. At this point, it is my understanding that it is less likely to recur, so I am going to skip the vaccine. I would rather my wife spend the $200 on her own preventive care for it.

I was avoiding the shingles vaccine because I didn't like the fear-mongering commercials and I'd also read about people getting shingles after getting the vaccine. I did have chicken pox as a child.

What changed my mind was a fellow student in my Geology class, in her 20s, who mentioned one day that she'd had a shingles attack over the weekend and the pain was so bad she was in tears. I got the shot, private insurance covered it. No side effects.

DH has a weakened immune system and his doctor told him he should definitely not get it.

I got the shingles vaccine when I turned 60 and my insurance covered it. Absolutely no problems with the vaccine. I did have chicken pox as a child. I have known several people who got shingles and that is a pain that I do not want. If it prevents a case of the shingles then it is well worth getting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I got the shingles vaccination today, thanks to this thread. It didn't hurt that a friend had shingles a couple of weeks ago. He had gotten his vaccination prior and had a fairly mild case.

OP here. Thanks to everyone who replied. I got the vaccine a week ago and had no problems, not even any soreness.

Wife & I have both had vaccine with no issues, her at about age 63, me younger.

I've seen too many people - parent, in-law, couple of friends - with shingles & its effects to not get the shot. Even if vaccine only reduces the symptoms, worthwhile imo.

What I don't understand is why you wouldn't get the vaccine.

Got the vaccine 4 months ago, a few months after turning 50, no adverse reactions and no shingles. My insurance would not pay for the vaccine until after the 50th birthday.

Had the chicken pox as an infant, several scars to show from it. Even if I contract shingles, if the vaccine lessens the impact then it will have been worth it.

I had a boss who contracted the shingles and he missed several weeks of work and he described it as a painful ordeal.

My insurance would not pay for the vaccine until after the 50th birthday.

That seems to be a lower age than many insurance companies use, my last 2 carriers (Aetna and BCBS) only reimburse if >60.

What's the typical cost for the vaccine? Not sure I want to wait until I'm 60.

Got mine at 57. The local Rite Aid pharmacy gave it to me and I had no issues. It was covered by insurance and I think it was around $250?

That seems to be a lower age than many insurance companies use, my last 2 carriers (Aetna and BCBS) only reimburse if >60.

I also have Anthem/BCBS, though in Ohio, and when I went in for the usual checkup this year I got the shingles vaccine.

No additional charge and I'm 53...

Got mine at 57. The local Rite Aid pharmacy gave it to me and I had no issues. It was covered by insurance and I think it was around $250?

Yes mine was around $250 also.

What's the typical cost for the vaccine? Not sure I want to wait until I'm 60.

I have Tricare Retiree for insurance and for them the minimum age is 50. Not sure what the vaccine costs as it was administered to me at a military medical treatment facility so I did not see a bill.

The cash price at Costco is about $200. I've been told $230-$250 from Walgreens, WalMart, Rite-Aid and CVS.
In the early stages it was only approved at age 60+ so most insurances didn't cover below 60. Now the FDA has said 50+ but the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) still kept the recommendation at 60+, supposedly both due to supply shortage and lack of data on long term protection (it is possible that if you received your immunization at 50 y.o. you could need a 'booster' later in life, only time will tell).

That is why some insurances might still be only paying for 60 and older. If you have medicare part D (drug coverage) it should be covered at your local pharmacy for no more than a $90 copay (unless you haven't met your deductible) better are less than $90 to $0 as Tricare holders can attest (same with some other insurances). Best bet is to call the toll free number on the back of your Medicare Part D card and ask, "What is my copay for Zostavax at my local pharmacy?"

As far as pain, it is subcutaneous so not in the muscle (like Tdap, Flu, pneumonia, etc) and usually not painful at all. Site reaction is biggest side effect (redness or irritation where it was injected), second is headache in 1 out of 3 people.

This new vaccine sounds interesting, but I would not wait for it to come out if I were in the target age range. First the time it will take for it to come out....multiple years, second even though they are not doing studies whether you can get the second shot if you've had the first, chances are you would be able too, as there haven't been any issues with 'over vaccination'. When you go to the Dr after stepping on a rusty nail, if you can't remember when you had your last tetnus shot they don't say, 'lets wait on it till you can check your records' you just get another vaccination.

Since Zostavax protects about half the people from getting the rash and almost 70% from the post herpatic pain (the worst part from what I hear) you'll probably want the zostavax vaccine now and the new one from GSK when it comes out anyway.

Last but not least, it is assumed everyone born before 1990ish (chicken pox vaccine was widely available after 1995) has either been exposed or has had the chickenpox. You or your parents might not have remembered it, it might have been mild, it might have been misdiagnosed, it might not have even shown up, but you have the virus in your system so you can get the shingles.

My question is, since the chicken pox vaccine (Varicella) is a live vaccine, getting that theoretically gives you the virus so you would then have the possibility of getting shingles later....without ever having the chickenpox.....:confused:

PS I am not employed by MERCK (zostavax) or GSK :LOL:

That's a good overview. I plan to get the vaccine now (55) and I don't see waiting for a new one with no history. If I need a "booster" shot at 65, so be it.

What changed my mind was a fellow student in my Geology class, in her 20s, who mentioned one day that she'd had a shingles attack over the weekend and the pain was so bad she was in tears. .

Was this really a case of shingles? My understanding is shingles last way longer than just a weekend. Altho I have heard of people in their 20's getting shingles

I have Tricare Retiree for insurance and for them the minimum age is 50. Not sure what the vaccine costs as it was administered to me at a military medical treatment facility so I did not see a bill.

How long ago did you get your shot? I have TriCare too and just last night checked their website and they age Sixty (60)

The grandchild of a friend got the shingles. He never had chicken pox but had had the chicken pox vaccine. He is elementary school age. So yes, apparently it is possible to get shingles even if you have only had the vaccine and not chicken pox.

The grandchild of a friend got the shingles. He never had chicken pox but had had the chicken pox vaccine. He is elementary school age. So yes, apparently it is possible to get shingles even if you have only had the vaccine and not chicken pox.

Another explanation is that maybe the child did have a very mild case of chicken pox, and no one was aware of it? I understand this can happen, and vaccines are not always 100% effective, but may still help to make the case more mild, so that would tie in with them not knowing.

-ERD50

Have been trying to get the vaccine for "free" (aka, paid for by someone else) for 2 years. Everyone (Walgreens, CVS, etc.) said $200 to $300. I finally called my CVS drug benefit card and they said, "oh, yeah. it's included at no cost." Slight pain upon injection and very mild pain at sight for a couple of days. Hoping it is effective for me. DW had shingles years ago - it was NOT pretty and it WAS very painful. YMMV

Received it about 10 years ago at a local military hospital at no cost to me. I do not recall having any reaction and I have not had a single episode of shingles.

My dear mother had shingles that lasted about 10 years until she died. She was always in a lot of pain.

Last edited:
I finally called my ins co, this is a new deal for me since MegaCorp changed the retiree heath care policy. They used to self-administer, now we go to the exchanges, but get some reimbursement.

The person on the phone had some odd accent that I couldn't place (French sounding?), didn't seem to understand 'vaccination', but fortunately I did my home work, and gave him the name of the vaccine (Zostavax). He put me on hold, and eventually informed that 'immunizations' are preventative and 100% covered, no co-pay, nothing, and didn't mention any age restrictions (I'm 60, DW turns 60 later in the year). Now that I search for 'immunization' in my policy pdf, that matches. Then I checked that my local Costco was in-network for this, and that was affirmative.

So I will 2x check with Costco (may need to schedule, I think this vaccine is kept refrigerated?), and DW and I will go in and get this done.

Both my son and his wife had shingles a few years apart (still in their 20's), though a pretty mild case for each.

This thread has helped to keep this on my mind - thanks!

-ERD50

So I will 2x check with Costco (may need to schedule, I think this vaccine is kept refrigerated?), and DW and I will go in and get this done. -ERD50

It's refrigerated, but it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I called (not Costco) first to make sure they had it in stock, then went over. No appt. needed.

The group plan that we have covers 100% as preventative all CDC-recommended vaccinations. I just look up the latest chart on CDC's website. When I go into the pharmacy or Minute-Clinic, they run my ins. card to verify with our ins. co. that it is indeed 100% covered, before they do anything.

Back
Top Bottom