Shingles Vaccine Question

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got the old shingles vaccine in 2009. Somehow, right or wrong, I got the idea it was a one time thing. Today I got a reminder (the first) from my medical group that I was
> 5 yrs overdue for another shingles immunization. Seems like if they knew that 5 yrs ago, they would have sent a reminder then, and in subsequent yrs.
Did something change or is their system messed up?

Last edited:
I can't remember whether I was told the old shingles vaccine would need a booster. What I have been told is that the new one is much more effective. And that you really want to avoid shingles. My advice is to at least consult your doctor, or go ahead and get the new vaccine.

The "old" shingles is the Zostavax, one time.
New one is Shingrix, 2 doses. Shingrix is more effective, especially in helping to prevent post herpetic neuralgia.
It is recommended to get the Shingrix even if you had the Zostavax, or a shingles diagnosis.
Talk with your medical professional if you have doubts.

Get the new one which requires two shots.

We had the Zostavax a few years ago - probably 5, but ended up getting the new Shingrix last year.

I had the old shot a few years ago. Last week I got the first of two for the Shingrix vaccination. I’ll go back in two months for the second. I just had it done at the CVS in Target and it was covered by my insurance. It did make my arm sore for a few days.

Yep, do the new 2-shot series. Supposedly much more effective. See also the other Shingrex discussion. Be ready for at least a sore arm and very likely some OOP cost. Well worth it if you've ever had (or, in my case lived with a victim of) shingles. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom