Should I go with ACA or stay with individual plan

bmcgonig

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been self employed and on an individual health plan with Blue Shield CA for about 20 yrs. This year I hung up my spurs. The doc told me I had AFib so that was enough to convince me that, at 60, I had enough stress.

Anyway, prior to the new found ACA worries after the election I had planned on switching to an exchange plan after I retired as with the subsidy I could save approx 6-7k over my individual plan. The new ACA plan would also be Blue Shield and as far as I know all my doctors are in the ACA network as well. So now I'm wondering if I should? Or should stick with my present plan just in case the new overhaul makes things difficult for those who had ACA plans I.e., plans pulling out of ACA, preexisting conditions etc.

Thanks everyone.

What are the downsides from switching? It isn't like your old plan is going to give you a gold watch for staying with them for 20 years.

What are the downsides from switching? It isn't like your old plan is going to give you a gold watch for staying with them for 20 years.
I guess the biggest worry is that they do something like eliminate ACA with no replacement. Or that they disable some of it through reconciliation and the insurance companies quit the ACA marketplace. If I stay with the old plan I won't have to face those worries I assume.

I stuck with my individual BCBS plan. But the decision was easy for me. BC is not part of the ACA plans offered in my area and the one that is offered is not good. And the savings are minimal in my case. If I were in your situation, I'm not sure what I would do with the possible ACA changes. Six thousand is a lot to leave on the table.

Sorry I'm not much help.

I guess the biggest worry is that they do something like eliminate ACA with no replacement. Or that they disable some of it through reconciliation and the insurance companies quit the ACA marketplace. If I stay with the old plan I won't have to face those worries I assume.

I would go with whatever is cheaper, right now. Each year is a new year, and new plans and pricing.

There will be no changes that will affect ACA plans and not other plans. If anything, things will get much better, for everyone.

...plans pulling out of ACA, preexisting conditions etc.
All the talk has been exempting pre-existing conditions, and insurers are already pulling out of ACA. Worry about money now, not some boogie man in the distance. If you are really that worried, the safest thing is to keep working.

Last edited:
I have been self employed and on an individual health plan with Blue Shield CA for about 20 yrs. This year I hung up my spurs. The doc told me I had AFib so that was enough to convince me that, at 60, I had enough stress.

Anyway, prior to the new found ACA worries after the election I had planned on switching to an exchange plan after I retired as with the subsidy I could save approx 6-7k over my individual plan. The new ACA plan would also be Blue Shield and as far as I know all my doctors are in the ACA network as well. So now I'm wondering if I should? Or should stick with my present plan just in case the new overhaul makes things difficult for those who had ACA plans I.e., plans pulling out of ACA, preexisting conditions etc.

Thanks everyone.
Future changes to health care insurance are likely to affect all individual plans, including your current plan, so there is probably no advantage to keeping it vs getting a new plan on the exchange. If that option has the additional benefit of a lower net cost to you, it seems to be the better option.

Back
Top Bottom