Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
@Twaddle a surgeon, a personal friend, told me, “ If you see a surgeon you’re going to get cut.” If I don’t want surgery, I don’t go to a surgeon.

I am about 90% recovered from a shoulder injury of my own diagnosis and treatment recommended by my wife, a 50+ state marathoner.

We are in a world of DIY health. The patient must collect his/her own information and make decisions. Similar in principle to DIY retirement savings compared with previously widespread defined benefit pensions.

Most sites that are .edu or .gov are mostly trustworthy.

Discussion boards like this one are good.

YouTube and Wikipedia are also good.

Suggestions from friends and family based on their experiences are good.

The poor U.S. health delivery system should be used a a last resort, after fully and completely exhausting the aforementioned resources.
Not my experience either when I went to an orthopedist for shoulder pain nor when I went to a Neurosurgeon for a lower back problem. In both cases, they started with a very conservative approach - quite a bit of PT work. When that was done, I had the world's strongest shoulder that still hurt and the strongest back that still hurt.

At some point, I could tell that each of the problems were mechanical. In both cases surgery, and the PT afterwards resulted in great outcomes.

Cheers.
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
While I'm glad you have a good outcome, I want to share a different PT story:

I went because I was facing reduced options with my shoulder (basically surgery for a calcification deposit left from an old tear, with increasing pain and starting to limit my movement). I can't find my MRI result paperwork, but my therapist listened to me, applied various massage and heat treatments, and prescribed a series of exercises to strengthen the lesser-used smaller muscles around my shoulder.

A couple of exercises didn't feel right, and I freely gave that feedback and the therapist always adjusted with me. No big deal. A good therapist is going to work around your pain and not make it worse.

It went great. Sure the first few sessions when some muscles were newly worked were a bit sore, but I never felt more pain in the injury. The first couple of weeks I was glad it was at least not getting worse as it had been progressing. Then a couple more weeks and it's definitely improved. I am weening myself off and have only two more sessions before I'll stop and see if I can maintain or continue improvement by keeping these new exercises in my routine. So, 10 paid sessions over 5 weeks and now I can sleep thru the night with a dramatic improvement in comfort, from a problem that's been getting worse over 2 years.

I have a HD plan so I'm paying a healthy price for each session, but I really don't care. That's what my HSA is for, and it will be far cheaper than surgery. And while, one day, I will gladly sign up for knee replacement, a shoulder is a totally different story, and the recovery was going to be miserable and long in comparison.

ETA: this is an ACA/HD plan, and I have access to a Sports Med PT facility linked to a local university, and my plan covers 35 visits a year.

You say, "my therapist" does that mean you are working one on one with someone? The two places I"m familiar with have 5 or 6 therapists and when you go in, you never know which one you will get.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
Glad to hear it's starting to get a little better even without PT.

I went the other route and DID start PT 2 weeks ago, and the one thing my PT guy told me is to absolutely under no circumstances sleep on the injured shoulder - because it would make it much worse and possibly cause a more permanent/larger tear.

Now, my injury might be totally different from yours, but something to be careful of for sure..

I'll keep that in mind, since that is my first symptom, I'd be laying on my shoulder, nothing abnormal and then it would shift just a little and cause much pain, it didn't take to long and then I was in pain just to lay on it.

Quote:

Not sure one way or the other. PT guy says I have a "hook"-like knob in my AC joint area that is apparently rubbing on the supraspinatus tendon, and he seems pretty sure that caused some wear and tear over time. That said..the pain and reduced mobility started literally the day after the COVID shot. So, I suspect but can't be 100% sure that I "probably" had long term wear and tear of some level and the COVID shot - whether it was the administration of it that further knicked the tendon OR an inflammatory response from the vaccine itself (like I unfortunately had, big-time throughout my GI system) just pushed things over the edge.

My problems started right around my covid shot also, and I have had thoughts about whether it was a cause or a coincidence.

Quote:

Just started my second week of PT today. Things got a "little" better mid last week but I relapsed Sat/Sun and am feeling this AM's PT more than I usually do..I have a "partial" tear so PT guy is hopeful that it will heal without surgery..but some days I do get discouraged and it's hard to imagine it getting better without surgical repair..

Very true. We as patients need to be more engaged than ever in doing our own research and really getting into the gory details of understanding what our various physicians believe to be going on - because in my experience, it's increasingly the case that they may or may not "really" be on the right path..and the more we actively engage, the better the outcome.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #44

Although this has nothing to do with shoulder problems I think my story is relevant:

I, too, have always been more of a DIY person when it comes to a lot of health issues. In late 2019 I started having pain in my thumb. I tried ice – made it hurt more. I tried heat – felt really good as long as my hand was wrapped in a heating pad, but as soon as I stopped the pain returned. I tried Voltaren gel – didn’t help. I tried CBD cream – didn’t help. I bought a brace and wore it every night for months – didn’t help. I researched PT for the problem and did thumb/finger wrist exercises – didn’t help.

The pain continued to get worse and worse. I was waking up several times a night from pain. My fingers began burning with pain – the kind of burning when you’ve been out in the snow for too long and when you come back in that horrible burning pain as your fingers warm up again. I had this pain 24/7. But now we were in the middle of a pandemic and all you heard was “don’t go to the doctor unless you are dying”. So I didn’t go to the doctor.

By late 2020 my fingers started to go numb. My arm would ache and burn sometimes up to my shoulder. I couldn’t grip things or twist things. I was in pain all the time. So I finally go to the doctor in Dec 2020. After x-rays, nerve test, MRI, CT/myelogram and steroid shots (which didn't help) it is finally determined I have severe arthritis of my thumb joint and a problem from a previous (9 years ago) carpal tunnel surgery. Scar tissue had grown in my wrist and hand from the previous surgery and exacerbated by the thumb arthritis had caused my nerve in my hand to become adhered to other tissue causing nerve damage.

In April I had carpal tunnel revision surgery to remove the scar tissue, free the nerve and wrap a thenar fat pad around the nerve to protect it from additional damage. Thumb surgery is still on the horizon later this year. The pain is gone, but the numbness in my hand and fingers remains.

It is a struggle to type. I can’t pick up small objects. I can’t push buttons. I can’t peel potatoes. I can’t button clothing. I cannot do all sorts of mundane, ordinary, daily activities because I can’t feel anything with my fingers. The doctor also explained the nerve that tells the brain where my fingers are in space is damaged. Since my brain does not know where my fingers are, it does not know how to tell them to move – thus the lack of fine motor control of my fingers. He said I waited too long trying to self-treat and it is highly likely the nerve damage is permanent. We still will not know for a few months as nerves grow at the rate of an inch a month, so it will take 6 months to know for sure.

Had I known a year ago that this would be the outcome, COVID or no COVID I would have gone to the doctor.

The lesson I learned is self-treatment is not always the best route to take. If you have pain. Go to the doctor or you may wind up like me. This is not fun.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
You say, "my therapist" does that mean you are working one on one with someone? The two places I"m familiar with have 5 or 6 therapists and when you go in, you never know which one you will get.
Yes, I have a scheduled appointments with a single PT Doctor who handles my overall case, who performs massage and laser therapies, and assesses me every visit, and then after about 30 mins hands me off to one of a half dozen or so therapists-in-training (mostly college interns it seems) who supervise thru a series of exercises that my PT doc has prescribed based on where things are overall with my progress.

My last couple of sessions I've asked to focus on things I can do at home, with equipment I have in my own gym.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #46

Quote:
Yes, I have a scheduled appointments with a single PT Doctor who handles my overall case, who performs massage and laser therapies, and assesses me every visit, and then after about 30 mins hands me off to one of a half dozen or so therapists-in-training (mostly college interns it seems) who supervise thru a series of exercises that my PT doc has prescribed based on where things are overall with my progress.

My last couple of sessions I've asked to focus on things I can do at home, with equipment I have in my own gym.
My PT place is setup the same way. Dedicated Therapist who I see every time. A bunch of college age kids who are working their way through Health Science or PT degrees that walk you through your exercises.

I like having the same Therapist every time as he knows my issues, what my range of motion was last time vs last time (so he can gauge my progress, if any), etc. I'm fortunate to have the person who owns this particular location as my Therapist. Guy's been doing it 35+ years and seems to know more about the human body than anyone else I've ever met. Have gotten some really great explanations from him over the years on how things all connect to each other, why I'm likely having the issues I am, etc.

Lots of goodness to having the same Therapist every time, though the assistant (college age kids) do vary. That's not as big of a deal but I've found a pretty big difference in how well they explain things, how closely they watch you, etc so even requested that I get the same person every time, which PT owner guy was happy to do for me.

Quote:
While I'm glad you have a good outcome, I want to share a different PT story:

I have a HD plan so I'm paying a healthy price for each session, but I really don't care. That's what my HSA is for, and it will be far cheaper than surgery. And while, one day, I will gladly sign up for knee replacement, a shoulder is a totally different story, and the recovery was going to be miserable and long in comparison.
Same here. Likely not going to ever hit my $7K per person deductible, so am paying the full cost of every PT session out of pocket. Was pretty worried about what it would cost and tried my darndest to figure that out ahead of time by working with the PT company's billing department AND my insurance company. Neither was really able to tell me, and I worried it was going to be a gazillion dollars as my average PT session consists of 15 minutes of heat, Therapist working with me (massage, range of motion stretches, etc) for a good 15-20 minutes, an hour or so of exercises with the assistants (college age kids), then 15 minutes of ice. I figured that was going to be hundreds of dollars a visit and was concerned until I FINALLY saw an EOB come through. PT company billed $75. My insurance "covered" $10, even though I haven't hit the deductible (??). So net cost was $65 per session. Fortunately, I only go twice a week and PT guy has me setup on home exercises I can do on the 'off' days. So, $130/week or $520/month. Financially a bit painful, but for what they do for me, pretty reasonable also. And as has been said earlier, a lot less expensive than surgery IF I can avoid it by doing the recommended PT..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
Same here. Likely not going to ever hit my $7K per person deductible, so am paying the full cost of every PT session out of pocket. Was pretty worried about what it would cost and tried my darndest to figure that out ahead of time by working with the PT company's billing department AND my insurance company. <snip> PT company billed $75. My insurance "covered" $10, even though I haven't hit the deductible (??). So net cost was $65 per session. Fortunately, I only go twice a week and PT guy has me setup on home exercises I can do on the 'off' days. So, $130/week or $520/month. Financially a bit painful, but for what they do for me, pretty reasonable also. And as has been said earlier, a lot less expensive than surgery IF I can avoid it by doing the recommended PT..
You are not paying the full cost, but the insurance-adjusted cost. Full would be over $200 according to the submissions from my PT to BCBS. I pay the adjusted rate of ~60 per session. I'm reimbursing myself with HSA funds.

I didn't have to do much homework for the price, nor did I try. I wanted the best place in town and googled to find it. there were other less attractive options which may have been cheaper but I wasn't interested. I simply showed up for my first appointment, and they were able to tell me the price per visit based on my insurance. When it comes to health, I will gladly BTD, I'm motivated by far more than cost to avoid shoulder surgery.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #48

Quote:
You are not paying the full cost, but the insurance-adjusted cost. Full would be over $200 according to the submissions from my PT to BCBS. I pay the adjusted rate of ~60 per session. I'm reimbursing myself with HSA funds.
Right. That's what I meant to say - I'm paying the full CONTRACTED cost out of pocket.

I haven't seen what my provider bills yet, but I'm sure the "list" price is way more than $75 per session.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

read only first page of posts. didn't see what my doc diagnosed - impingement syndrome. had it RT shoulder ~yr ago. got same protocol suggestions, PT, shots, surgery. dl'ed some PT exercises; most required rubber bands or small dumbbells. did couple of the others, occasionally. pain subsided, seemingly on its own; didn't do that much PT. now other shoulder is quite painful; hurts to put on sleeved garments. have appt to see ortho who replaced hip yr ago. will be asking for shots if he agrees
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote