Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Can one tell the difference between fresh shrimp and frozen shrimp, I wonder? Never have fresh shrimp myself.
Properly frozen - just as good.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
They usually put it on ice, in layers, in the hold of the shrimp boat, but it is more like refrigeration than freezing. It doesn't take that long to get back to the docks here, so not like when the fishing boats go out longlining or something, and they have to put them in colder storage.

But yeah, you can freeze fresh shrimp with no damage to the taste, I think.
+1

The fresh shrimp here has never been frozen.

But I never turn up my nose at frozen shrimp, it's perfectly fine.

I can tell when the gulf brown has been frozen because it turns more of a pink color, but it doesn't seem to affect the taste.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Is there a "season" for wild-caught fresh shrimp? I want to keep that in mind for our next trip to shrimp fishing areas.
Most of the year here. Off season is for about 6 weeks or so June/July.

I never worry about the season - I just buy local shrimp when it's available.

Restaurants overwhelmingly serve imported shrimp because it's so much cheaper. A few places on the coast specify they are serving gulf shrimp.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got to me too! I'm making shrimp in a lemon butter sauce over pasta.

I love shrimp curry - especially a coconut curry.. ah... now, I'm going to have to make that later this week.
Darn you guys. I am limiting pasta and rice but now you have me salivating for a shrimp curry - at 7:00 AM!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Darn you guys. I am limiting pasta and rice but now you have me salivating for a shrimp curry - at 7:00 AM!
+1
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Restaurants overwhelmingly serve imported shrimp because it's so much cheaper.
Wow, not here (except for chain restaurants, I suppose, but I don't know anyone who would ever go to chain restaurants here). Restaurants wouldn't last long here if they did that. But then, apparently the restaurant business is a lot more competitive here in New Orleans than in most places.

Some restaurants here have fresh seafood delivered by truck straight from the fishing boats, but most send someone to pick through the seafood themselves as it comes off the boats. The best restaurants have the best contacts for seafood.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

The fresh shrimp here has never been frozen.

But I never turn up my nose at frozen shrimp, it's perfectly fine.

I can tell when the gulf brown has been frozen because it turns more of a pink color, but it doesn't seem to affect the taste.
I guess my point is that shrimp will go bad very quickly, and anything that won't be eaten within a very short period of time is flash frozen.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, not here (except for chain restaurants, I suppose, but I don't know anyone who would ever go to chain restaurants here). Restaurants wouldn't last long here if they did that. But then, apparently the restaurant business is a lot more competitive here in New Orleans than in most places.
Up near Chicago we pay double for wild caught, whereas earlier posts above suggest those of you in the Gulf states pay about the same for wild caught Gulf shrimp that we have to pay for imported farm raised. Presumably the same would apply to restaurants.

I'd guess the ready availability and (much lower or non-existent) premium for local shrimp vs imported in NOLA is less than most other cities (making it much easier to source shrimp locally) - not that the restaurant business is a lot more competitive in NOLA. The restaurant business is incredibly competitive in most major cities if not most places IME.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Some restaurants here have fresh seafood delivered by truck straight from the fishing boats, but most send someone to pick through the seafood themselves as it comes off the boats. The best restaurants have the best contacts for seafood.
In my experience, folks in Southern LA are much more discerning and demanding about their restaurant seafood than the rest of the south. It's one of the reasons we love to visit restaurants there! This is an exception, believe me!

Are you sure all your crawfish for your stews is from LA though? The US imports a huge amount from China and I find it very difficult to find LA crawfish.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got to me too! I'm making shrimp in a lemon butter sauce over pasta.
Next time I make shrimp pasta, I am going to put in a bit of capers. This should bring an entirely new flavor to the dish, a new trick I recently learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Can you make the dish this way?

Do not use too much salt on the shrimp, then when you are done, sprinkle some grains of rice on top? Instead of shrimp over rice, it's rice over shrimp?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

In our old house (just north of Lake Pontchartrain), we used to have a "Shrimp Guy" who would bring shrimp, fresh off the boat, to the house. We would get 10-15 count shrimp (that still had the rainbow iridescence you see on freshly caught shrimp) for $6/lb. He would de-head them and bag them up in 1 lb bags..... I love living near the coast

Now that we live out in the country, it's way too far for him, so when he comes through the neighborhood, we have friends pick up 10-15 lbs for us.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In my experience, folks in Southern LA are much more discerning and demanding about their restaurant seafood than the rest of the south. It's one of the reasons we love to visit restaurants there! This is an exception, believe me!
I agree! We may be the murder capital of the US, and the hurricanes here still terrify me, but I do think we are living in a restaurant paradise.

Quote:
Are you sure all your crawfish for your stews is from LA though? The US imports a huge amount from China and I find it very difficult to find LA crawfish.
I don't really like eating crawfish because they are so messy (they taste good but gosh, I think it is impossible to eat them and stay clean!). And then, preparing them as an ingredient is more labor intensive than I might prefer so I just don't buy them. I did go to a crawfish boil at a friend's house a few months ago, that was inspired by the fact that her husband caught a huge amount of them that weekend. I ended up sticky and hated it, but you do what you gotta do. At least they were low in calories. I don't think any of the dishes I generally order at restaurants are made with crawfish at all.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2r View Post
i don't really like eating crawfish because they are so messy bait.
fify
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I did not have shrimp curry last night, but my wife will make it for dinner tonight.

And with the weather finally turning cool in the low elevation here, my thoughts turn to spicy dishes, and there are so many Oriental spicy dishes. My next quest will be Thai Tom Yum Goong (spicy shrimp soup). See linked photo.

At some point, my attention will turn to Creole cuisine, and I will have to make some. So many dishes to make, so little time, so many calories...

Old 11-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I did not have shrimp curry last night, but my wife will make it for dinner tonight.

And with the weather finally turning cool in the low elevation here, my thoughts turn to spicy dishes, and there are so many Oriental spicy dishes. My next quest will be Thai Tom Yum Goong (spicy shrimp soup). See linked photo.

At some point, my attention will turn to Creole cuisine, and I will have to make some. So many dishes to make, so little time, so many calories...

My absolute favorite shrimp soup. To make it right you've got to have some chili paste in soybean oil.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree! We may be the murder capital of the US, and the hurricanes here still terrify me, but I do think we are living in a restaurant paradise.

I don't really like eating crawfish because they are so messy (they taste good but gosh, I think it is impossible to eat them and stay clean!). And then, preparing them as an ingredient is more labor intensive than I might prefer so I just don't buy them. I did go to a crawfish boil at a friend's house a few months ago, that was inspired by the fact that her husband caught a huge amount of them that weekend. I ended up sticky and hated it, but you do what you gotta do. At least they were low in calories. I don't think any of the dishes I generally order at restaurants are made with crawfish at all.
It's not the whole crawfish that are imported so much - it's the already peeled crawfish
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's not the whole crawfish that are imported so much - it's the already peeled crawfish
Oh, OK. I can't imagine buying something like that. REWahoo was pretty much right about my opinion of crawfish to begin with. Also, fresh local crawfish are easily available free to anyone who knows someone that likes fishing (which is about 90% of the population I think!). Fresh locally caught crawfish are all over the place. True, New Orleans is no more immune to fly-by-nights trying to make a sleazy buck than any other place, but honestly I don't know one single person here in New Orleans who would actually take out their wallet and buy peeled, frozen, Chinese crawfish. Ewww. How sad that the seafood situation is apparently so grim for you.

Sorry if I am not sufficiently alarmed, but to me this is like a discussion of bootleg liver and onions would be to someone who didn't like liver....

Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, OK. I can't imagine buying something like that. REWahoo was pretty much right about my opinion of crawfish to begin with. Also, fresh local crawfish are easily available free to anyone who knows someone that likes fishing (which is about 90% of the population I think!). Fresh locally caught crawfish are all over the place. True, New Orleans is no more immune to fly-by-nights trying to make a buck than any other place, but honestly I don't know one single person here in New Orleans who would actually take out their wallet and buy peeled, frozen, Chinese crawfish. Ewww. Sorry the seafood situation is apparently so grim for you.

Sorry if I am not sufficiently alarmed, but to me this is like a discussion of bootleg liver and onions would be to someone who didn't like liver....
I'm not suffering - I got the local shrimp!

I do like them crawfish boils. Available for a few weeks each year around here. Messy but so worth it! I'm pretty sure the live crawfish is coming from LA - very seasonal.

Pappadeaux - a small chain out of Houston. $$$ but excellent quality. Also the only place around here that I will eat raw oysters.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm not suffering - I got the local shrimp!

I do like them crawfish boils. Available for a few weeks each year around here. Messy but so worth it! I'm pretty sure the live crawfish is coming from LA - very seasonal.
You gotta be kidding. A few weeks each year? What weeks? We must not be shipping much out to your area at all. No wonder you see all that frozen, peeled, Chinese crawfish. But then, you're right, you couldn't have a crawfish boil with peeled crawfish anyway.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My absolute favorite shrimp soup. To make it right you've got to have some chili paste in soybean oil.
I thought the hardest ingredient to get would be kaffir lime leaves. I believe that's what shown on top of the bowl of soup in the photo. I will have to substitute the leaves picked off my lemon tree in the back.

And speaking of crawfish, hey, I don't care that people badmouth them. When we were there in NO earlier this year, I got quite a few pounds for the two of us, and enjoyed them sitting outside the motorhome under the awning one afternoon.

Could have posted a photo of us with a mound of shell, but I won't.