Skiing after 60+

Skiing was one of the few things my brother and I had in common beyond our last name.

We made a point to ski the Alps, New England and Utah every year for over 30 years. Humble brag: I was the only one who could keep up with him. Tons of fantastic memories and good times.

Since his stroke six years ago, I haven't strapped the boards back on. I miss it a lot but it just wouldn't be the same without him. I'm now 71 and while I know I'd be fine restarting, I think I'm done.

Just got my first 70+ year old season pass for $250. Since I married a younger woman (she's 69) we had to pay $355 for hers. We are expert skiers who ski 30-60 days a year at 35-50 mph and have never hurt ourselves. We instructed for about 10 years and none of our students have ever hurt themselves either. We do wear great equipment including fresh helmets and back/spine protectors from shredoptics.com . The biggest danger we face is not falling but other skiers or boarders who aren't as good as they think they are. The risk is greater on busy days so we avoid those when we can. We are both in greater danger walking around our property than skiing. The over 65 crowd at our mountain is huge. Lots of over 70s and many over 80. My oldest student started at 71and skied until he was 82. I know of many who made it longer. Today's equipment is so much better that it will more than make up for anything you forgot, but we never really forget skii training or bike riding. You could easily get another couple decades of fun and healthy excercise if you start now. I'd say go for it!

I ski, both downhill and cross-country. I find they complement each other, and I enjoy both.

I ski "better" now at 65 than I did at 30. The why is because back then my technique sucked but I muscled my way through it. As I got older, I couldn't and finally learned more and more to let the ski's and my movements help me. OTOH, ski's themselves are much better!

I will note that it hurts a lot more to fall now, so my motto is "don't fall". This also means I am a coward, and have no problem telling friends "no" in terms of certain situations. I went out west earlier this season, did advanced blues, blacks, some off trail, but had no problem saying "no" to chutes and some other more hairy off-trail craziness (e.g. "I wonder where this goes - oh, the only way down from here appears to be this nice cliff". )

I live fairly close to some ski areas (upstate NY/VT/NH), but thought a while back that it might be nice to retire to places like Salt Lake to be closer to great skiing. But at my current age I'm now thinking that might not be a good plan because I doubt I will be skiing like I am now in 10-15 years, and instead just fly to where you want to ski.

So how are you 60+ skiers doing these days? Still cutting up the pow and conquering the moguls? Dealing with any injuries? Sticking to the blue squares/red circles? Thinking it's about time for that final run?

You've already received a bunch of great responses so I'm sure I'll duplicate some of them:

Wear a helmet. They are warm and comfortable.
Keep your weight down. That's helping me a lot with knee soreness.
Get in shape to ski. Don't assume you'll ski yourself into shape.
Don't make "one more run" when you feel tired. Stop for the day or rest for a while.
Buy or rent skis that are an appropriate length. Nobody cares if your skis are 10cm longer and the shaped skis of today are far superior to skis from 20 or 30 years ago.
Warm up by taking as many runs on beginner trails until you feel comfortable moving to blues.
If you like the blues like I do, don't even bother skiing the blacks.

Know that powder is fun but can be a lot of work. Groomers are pretty predictable.
If you travel to ski, don't feel like you can't take a day off in between.
Ski places initially that only allow skiers the first few times.

Go to a boot fitter if you're going to buy gear. Worth their weight in gold.
Lastly (for now) DO IT. YOLO!!!

I'll chime in on the " maybe some year" side of the thread.
I started skiing in 1981, and spent the next 15 years or so going up several times a year. I fell out of going in the late 90's.
I have given it some thought lately, and have decided to wait until I get the house built.
I don't bounce as well as I used to.

If cold, uncomfortable ski boots are keeping you from returning, splurge on Apex boots. They are basically snowboard boots with an open frame that clamps around them and fits in your bindings just like normal boots. Really comfortable, and don't cut off my circulation so my feet stay warmer. No compromise in performance. And you can slide off the frames and walk around at lunch or to your car in the comfy boot, which is a whole lot safer.

Or you could just take up snowboarding.

the shaped skis of today are far superior to skis from 20 or 30 years ago.

Or even 15 years ago. Thanks for mentioning it, as this is a point that I think is not well understood by many older skiers. The first time I tried the newer skis I was absolutely blown away by how much easier it was to ski well. My current skis are eight years old and I'll probably replace them next year. There are many factors to consider, such as length, binding setting, etc., that can change over the years, and I think it's important to reevaluate your equipment from time to time.

I'm 61, live in Salt Lake city and have a season pass at alta. I ski around 40 days a year, 6 hours a day and about 20,000 vertical feet a day. About day 26 this year and around 500,000 vertical feet. Big snow year, so most runs are tree/moguls. Legs are tired this year.

I work on my ski fitness a year round.

Have had a troublesome left knee since 2011, but am working through it and am getting better.

Love it, love it, love it!

Go to a boot fitter if you're going to buy gear. Worth their weight in gold. YOLO!!!

I second this. To enjoy skiing you must have boots that fit. I call mine the boot whisperer.

Just got my first 70+ year old season pass for $250. Since I married a younger woman (she's 69) we had to pay $355 for hers. We are expert skiers who ski 30-60 days a year at 35-50 mph and have never hurt ourselves. We instructed for about 10 years and none of our students have ever hurt themselves either. We do wear great equipment including fresh helmets and back/spine protectors from shredoptics.com . The biggest danger we face is not falling but other skiers or boarders who aren't as good as they think they are. The risk is greater on busy days so we avoid those when we can. We are both in greater danger walking around our property than skiing. The over 65 crowd at our mountain is huge. Lots of over 70s and many over 80. My oldest student started at 71and skied until he was 82. I know of many who made it longer. Today's equipment is so much better that it will more than make up for anything you forgot, but we never really forget skii training or bike riding. You could easily get another couple decades of fun and healthy excercise if you start now. I'd say go for it!
I stopped skiing in the mid/late 2000 as since skiing and other activities had resulted in enough damage to limit some of my activities. We started many years ago on the east coast but in a few years got tired of dealing with inconsiderate people as well as skiing on ice. We then started heading west to Lake Louise and a few years later to Whistler/Blackcomb and some other smaller venues in Canada. At that time Whistler was still developing the village area. Lift lines were very short (often no line) and slopes were wide open. It was an amazing time. Powder and moguls were such fun. It is considerably more crowded now and I suspect the number of inconsiderate people has not improved. I'm glad I had the chance to enjoy skiing but don't think I would try a come back at 74.

Cheers!

Used to ski a lot in the 1970’s. Took a nasty fall and quit. I’d like to ski again, but I don’t know if I’d survive the first run.

Used to ski a lot in the 1970’s. Took a nasty fall and quit. I’d like to ski again, but I don’t know if I’d survive the first run.

You should try it. The equipment is about a million times better which makes it much easier to learn and enjoy. I've taught a number of people who gave it up for similar reasons and watched them enjoy skiing again.

It's been about 4 years since I've been skiing. I was 58 and the wife was 56. We were at Steamboat. Flew in the day before and the next morning we were walking over to rent gear when my wife slips on ice and breaks her arm. No surgery but immobility caused frozen shoulder. Lots of rehab needed to get over it. Needless to say, she's not interested in ski trips anymore.

Skier all my life including club racing for years. I'm a New Englander (CT) and just retired at 63 in Dec 2022. I had full ankle replacement in March 2021 and had to take a break for about a year. Now I'm healed and back at it. Fortunately can still rip the same terrain I always have. I will say, as I've gotten older I've learned to manage how many double black runs I have in me in a day but I still ski any advanced terrain that's open unless there's 'thin cover'. A little ibuprofen right after breakfast helps keep the knees from flaring up during the day. I mountain bike 2-3 times/week year round so that keeps legs/core strong. I can do day trips to Killington, VT which has the best terrain within driving distance for me. Have done dozens of trips West over the years but had to take 2 years off due to ankle replacement. Now that I'm back, I will pick up an ICON pass for next winter and get in a trip West for my annual powder fix!

I see very few skiers without helmets. Admittedly, up until 15 years ago, I never wore a helmet.

Been skiing since I was 7, 64 years ago and stopped 6 years ago due to a family issue (see post #26).

I have never worn a helmet and always said that the day they forced me to would be my last day skiing.

I was on my high-school racing team in the late 60's and IIRC we didn't wear helmets back then either. (watch out for the gate, idiot!)

Yeah, yeah, yeah: "If Sonny Bono wore a helmet he'd be alive today".
If Sonny Bono wore a helmet, he'd be in a wheelchair today begging for a gun.

To each his own. Give me a goofy knit hat.

Skiing was one of the few things my brother and I had in common beyond our last name.

We made a point to ski the Alps, New England and Utah every year for over 30 years. Humble brag: I was the only one who could keep up with him. Tons of fantastic memories and good times.

Since his stroke six years ago, I haven't strapped the boards back on. I miss it a lot but it just wouldn't be the same without him. I'm now 71 and while I know I'd be fine restarting, I think I'm done.

That's rough about your brother. I skied with my brother only a few times before he stopped going up. He's in poor shape physically and mentally these days, but still remembers those days fondly. He often refers to the time we were riding the lift to the top, and two jet fighters went screaming through the valley below us. He says that is one of his happiest memories.

Yeah, yeah, yeah: "If Sonny Bono wore a helmet he'd be alive today". If Sonny Bono wore a helmet, he'd be in a wheelchair today begging for a gun.

That's kinda my take on it too. Although I do know someone who got hit by another skier one day and ended up with a concussion. Could be worse getting hit by someone wearing a helmet if you're not wearing one.

I'll chime in on the " maybe some year" side of the thread.
I started skiing in 1981, and spent the next 15 years or so going up several times a year. I fell out of going in the late 90's.
I have given it some thought lately, and have decided to wait until I get the house built.
I don't bounce as well as I used to.

I might wait until I get my DEXA scan!

On the accident where I lost a ski and tore my ACL (post #11), I got turned around on one ski and then fell backwards. I hit my head hard enough to put a good dent in the helmet. I think I had a very mild headache. It probably would've been a very different outcome without the helmet. I've retired that helmet. Once compromised like that I might as well not be wearing one.

People can make up their own minds about wearing a helmet. But I can have my own opinion that it's idiotic not to wear one, and if you're skiing with me I'll share that with you. What you do with that is up to you.

On the accident where I lost a ski and tore my ACL (post #11), I got turned around on one ski and then fell backwards. I hit my head hard enough to put a good dent in the helmet. I think I had a very mild headache. It probably would've been a very different outcome without the helmet. I've retired that helmet. Once compromised like that I might as well not be wearing one.

People can make up their own minds about wearing a helmet. But I can have my own opinion that it's idiotic not to wear one, and if you're skiing with me I'll share that with you. What you do with that is up to you.

I hit the back of my head on a mogul once hard enough to pop the lens loose from my goggles. No concussion, but yeah, something to think about. Especially with how crowded the areas are nowdays.

. He often refers to the time we were riding the lift to the top, and two jet fighters went screaming through the valley below us. He says that is one of his happiest memories.

OMG. We must've been on the chair behind you!! I think we were in Utah (or New Hampshire) I forget where, but it was amazing to see those jets scream by.

OMG. We must've been on the chair behind you!! I think we were in Utah (or New Hampshire) I forget where, but it was amazing to see those jets scream by.

We were at Stevens Pass in Washington riding up to 7th Heaven. A cool moment for sure!

I returned last week from a "men's" ski trip to Fernie BC. I had no idea it was so big, with as much vertical as Blackcomb, and even longer runs and mo-powda. It had been a couple years since I last skied, but my life long friend had a wonderful house on the lift, ski out/in and it was a great trip. I highly recommend Fernie over Whistler, no crowds and mostly no rude people. Everyone local was so nice to talk to and many of us were in the same age group still skiing regularly.

Now at 68, with prior knee issues, meniscus tear repair /arthritis etc, I knew I had to be careful. I skied every other day. I love my ski's I had no issues with the daily 10 inches of powder and the excellent slope grooming, of course until the last day. The old "one more run" syndrome. We had been skiiing pretty fast, and pushing a lot of powder but my left knee finally decided to put a knife into my fun. I sat down, and of course now it was really hard to get up. I am likely done for the year......

Now at 68, with prior knee issues, meniscus tear repair /arthritis etc, I knew I had to be careful. I skied every other day. I love my ski's I had no issues with the daily 10 inches of powder and the excellent slope grooming, of course until the last day. The old "one more run" syndrome. We had been skiiing pretty fast, and pushing a lot of powder but my left knee finally decided to put a knife into my fun. I sat down, and of course now it was really hard to get up. I am likely done for the year......

How is it doing this week? Did you get it checked out?

Back
Top Bottom