Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2023, 02:57 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As we're on skiing, I thought I'd share a small excerpt of something I wrote 25 years ago about a night half-way up an Austrian mountain. Just an excerpt:

Then, as the lifts close, meet up with your buddies and figure out what’s for dinner and which club will be tonight’s hangout.

In our case, that night’s activities had already been decided for us.

“We’ve been invited to a party at the ‘Kessle Hutte’…the Kettle Hut!” my German friend Hans happily announced. Because Hans is often wrong, seldom in doubt but always looking for a party, I had learned the hard way over the years to view such claims of being ‘invited’ with skepticism. As it would later turn out, we were –once again—indeed crashing someone else’s party, but…no matter, and nobody really seemed to care.

Places like the Kessle Hutte are another one of those ski things uniquely European. In Europe, the land is usually owned by a farmer and the ski resort is just renting his grazing pastures during the winter. As a result, in addition to the usual ski obstacles, you can find yourself dodging things like a barn, the occasional stray cow, feed trough or farm machinery. In this case, the Kessel Hutte is a good sized tool shed situated in the middle of a wide ski slope half-way up the mountain. During ski season it is converted to—naturally –a small restaurant and bar.

So, here sits a hundred year old log cabin about the size of a two car garage with a five and a half foot ceiling and a dirt floor. Drafts are discouraged with a bear skin nailed in place to the hobbit sized entry door. Sprinkle two dozen candles here and there for lighting (no electricity).
Add seventy five or so drunken Germans, Austrians, Swiss and two Americans. Pass around an old ski with holes drilled in it to hold a dozen shot glasses of schnapps. Get everyone to sing Russian, German, French, Austrian and yes—even the US National Anthems. Follow that up with some apparently hysterically funny songs in German sprinkled with English swear words. Pass around plates of sausage, soup, sauerkraut. A little more schnapps, a few more songs…you get the picture.

Sometime past midnight, someone decides that it is time to close the Hutte. You suddenly remember that you are halfway up a mountain ski slope. The lifts have long closed. It is absolutely, completely pitch dark. The Hutte cook is handing out road flares…the kind used for highway emergencies and you’re seemingly expected to ski to the bottom using this flare for illumination, presumably yodeling all the way. Merrily, everyone else thinks this is just a fine idea. “It is normal” as they say.

Maybe it was me, but despite weekend-long assurances that ‘for an American you ski really well’, I just didn’t think that skiing the blackness, in unfamiliar and poorly groomed terrain, a bloodstream full of schnapps and an incendiary device in my right hand was going to result in a happy ending.

Hans of course, just lit his flare, snapped on his skis and disappeared down over a ridge with his new-found friends, bellowing some operetta without looking back. So did everyone else except me and another American which more or less confirmed that we really were the wimps everyone suspected us of being.

Instead, we ditched our skis –pick them up in the morning—and started to walk down. We quickly found that the snow conditions were just right, and, if we laid on our backs, gave a little shove, we could slide a few hundred yards at a time toward the bottom; it was like bobsledding without the sled. We were also in that nice, just right little space of drunkenness that made it all uncontrollably funny. In about a half hour, we were within sight of the parking lot where a small table had been set up, bottles of liquor set in a snow bank and a whacked out, German ‘one for the road’ party was forming with 20 or 30 people, Hans waiting for us, cocktail shaker in hand.

It was two AM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2023, 03:12 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

It has been my dream to retire early and ski whenever. I'm early 60's and have been living that dream for several years. I ski 60-80 days per season with many friends having similar interests. No limitations or injuries, mostly advanced terrain and powder. I know many folks skiing into their 70's and 80's, as I hope to do. Skiing at Sun Valley recently, I noticed most folks in the morning gondola line were well into their 60's and 70's.

I lower my release settings early in the season when I'm building strength on limited runs. After a pre-release or two, I tighten them up as I gain strength and expand into more challenging terrain. I observe most injuries in skiers who go a few days per season, and few injuries in those skiing regularly.

The cost of skiing has shifted with the marketing of season passes. 20 years ago a day ticket at a major resort was $50, and a season pass over $1,000. Now a day ticket at a major resort is over $200, a season pass is $1,000, which may include 20+ resorts (Alterra Ikon pass and Vail Epic pass). The pass value will vary by region/resort, but I gladly buy a pass for my home mountain and also one of the corporate passes. I've skied over 60 days at 15 resorts for $1,700 so far this season. Another benefit of having a pass is the freedom to ski a short day without the daily cost.

Passes are starting to go on sale for next season NOW, the costs will be increasing thru the year. I suggest you look into pass options at your local mt, nearby resorts, and what other destination resorts you may be interested in. Ski gear will be going on sale soon as well.

I hope you get some gear, a pass, and have a great time sliding down the hills.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:12 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm turning 68 this year and ski a lot!
Here's a link to a video of me skiing a couple weeks ago.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rg1ktvUNw4Hc5Q1i7

I have two sons that ski with me, one is 42 the other is 39. One is a professional sports athlete. The other runs marathons and races mountain bikes. I can still out ski both of them. Ha!
Mostly I like to ski the fresh powder. Deeper the better. Also tree skiing is preferred over groomed runs. Too many unskilled on the runs that can run into you and get hurt.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:41 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

67 here; been skiing since my 20's. I love the Epic/Ikon seasons passes (I have Epic) since they let me not worry about the cost per run. I moved to Denver 2 years ago and love it here. Skiing mid-week is the way to go! I still attempt the occasional mogul run but mostly stick to the groomers if I go on a black. Somebody in an above comment mentioned a double blue; I've never seen that, just double blacks. Anyway - I'm still out there!
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:50 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

At 60, go for it.
I got back skiing when I was 60, after 25 years off. It came back quickly. I’m just an intermediate— blues and greens—and I loved it. In Colorado. Did it til I was 75.
About 4 years ago I had to get a hip replacement (nothing to do with skiing) and then a revision (long boring story) and two years ago decided to hang it up, sadly. Too much downside for 78.
Now I bike. I would definitely go skiing if I were u, just easy on the moguls. Lol
shafer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Keep it real
Old 03-14-2023, 03:56 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep it real

My motto:

I'd like to ski into my 80s, so I ski my age (64 now).

Helmet always, and stick to groomers and uncrowded slopes whenever possible. And STFD.

I liken skiing to drinking beer. As a youth I drank my beer and skied the slopes too fast. Nowadays I practice the art of enjoyment and much prefer to sip and savor my beer. On the mountain I do the same, savoring every carve, celebrating the mountain and just being here...

Time for me to leave the guzzling to the youngers.

Be safe, shred with purpose 🤟
Montclairbobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:04 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys and gals that are 60+ that are still skiing are seriously motivational to me!

Skibum - good for you for getting that many days in. I hope to begin that lifestyle some time next year.
Skipro33 - great turns! I'm hoping I ski like that when I'm 58 let alone 68!
jpeter - would you mind clarifying "let me not worry about the cost per run". I'm considering an Ikon pass and haven't read anything about it that would lead me to avoid buying it. It's a better pass for me than the Epic...provided there are no restrictions I'm unaware of.

connor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:20 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor77 View Post
jpeter - would you mind clarifying "let me not worry about the cost per run". I'm considering an Ikon pass and haven't read anything about it that would lead me to avoid buying it. It's a better pass for me than the Epic...provided there are no restrictions I'm unaware of.
Not jpeter, but I feel confident this is what was meant. It isn't an Ikon vs Epic thing. It's that if you buy a day ticket, and conditions are lousy and you make only 3 runs, you might think of that as $50/run. If you have a season pass, no worries, you come back another day and then another and you never think about the cost per run, because it's likely ridiculously low.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:25 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Of course if you only use your pass for a day or two...
Old 03-14-2023, 04:30 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Not jpeter, but I feel confident this is what was meant. It isn't an Ikon vs Epic thing. It's that if you buy a day ticket, and conditions are lousy and you make only 3 runs, you might think of that as $50/run. If you have a season pass, no worries, you come back another day and then another and you never think about the cost per run, because it's likely ridiculously low.

Yep, I completely misunderstood. Clear now. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:40 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
I'm 61, live in Salt Lake city and have a season pass at alta. I ski around 40 days a year, 6 hours a day and about 20,000 vertical feet a day. About day 26 this year and around 500,000 vertical feet. Big snow year, so most runs are tree/moguls. Legs are tired this year.

I work on my ski fitness a year round.

Have had a troublesome left knee since 2011, but am working through it and am getting better.

Love it, love it, love it!
Skied one day at Alta... loved it. It reminded me of Mad River Glen... no snowboards... but no single chair. A real skiers mountain.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:43 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
That's kinda my take on it too. Although I do know someone who got hit by another skier one day and ended up with a concussion. Could be worse getting hit by someone wearing a helmet if you're not wearing one.
When DW was an instructor at Sugarbush for a few years she got ran into/ran over twice. Luckily, she as wearing a helmet.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:54 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
FWIW, just because you did moguls and double black diamonds in your 30's doesn't mean you have to do them in your 60's.

Nothing wrong with ceding to your age (and reluctance to injury) by hitting the blues, cruising along at at more leisurely pace. A good skier can get in a nice day with little strain or fatigue; no more than a long walk.

We gave up on killing ourselves for first chair long ago and replaced it with regular "flask stops" mid-mountain when nobody was looking. Getting hammered at the Stein Erickson Lodge's skiers buffet (highly recommended)...actually had Stein join us for lunch once.

Personally I always enjoyed the European style: ski a few km, stop at a slopeside hut for a Cappuccino, enjoy the view, ski another few km, stop at another hut for some soup, repeat for a plate of sausage and glass of wine served to you on a large deck in the sun, check out what the ladies are wearing, get a tan/take a nap in a sunny lounge chair, call it a day.
+1 When we were young and foolish we were on the first chair in the morning and the last chair of the day... after all... we wanted to get our $10 worth. In fact, I remember when I first started that single ride tickets were the thing at most ski areas. Back in the day, the front four at Stowe were our favorites... as was the old single chair with the blankets... those were the days! Goat was a bear with its double fall line but I really liked Nose Dive

While we quit a few years ago, we had season passes at Burke Mountain the last few years that we skiied. It was great. If the weather turned for the worse we just turned it in went to the bar, had a drink and then went home. If we had enough at 2pm then we just turned it in went to the bar, had a drink and then went home. Or sometimes we would do things in the morning and then go for an afternoon of skiing. Mikaela Shiffrin was there some of the same years that we had seasons passes but she was probably just another Burke Montain Academy student that we watched practicing while riding the lift.

I miss it. I did often try to do one of the easier black diamonds each day... just to be able to keep thinking that I could.

The best one was one spring at Sugarbush. Great spring skiing but tiring as it got mashed potatoey so we quit early and retired to the outside deck in the sun to have a drink. The snowcat guy was pushing snow around to make a pond for the pond skimming contest the following day. He is pusing these HUGE mounds of snow about 1/2 the size of a small house around. All the guys on the deck are watching this and saying that is so cool... I want to do that.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:02 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 72 and didn't start skiing until I was 30. First time out I must have fallen 100 times, I woke up the next day and never realized there were so many muscles in one's body that could ache! 42 years later I'm still skiing at least 3 days a week.

Skiing changed my life. A friend and I bought a cabin two miles from our favorite local mountain,Elk in 1988. We've skied over 70 mountains throughout the USA and Canada and several European resorts. Oh the friendships, scenery, and memories we have...

We used to be the first ones on the mountain and the last off. Not anymore, we've mellowed considerably! And the way we look at the cost of the season pass to Elk is "the first run costs $800 (or whatever the rate is) and all the rest are Free!"

Just Do It!
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:14 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I've skied Alta once. I know that as a skier I'm supposed to ooh and aah over it, but I thought it was just ok. Nice not having boarders around, but that also means I can't go back on a trip with my son. The snow was fine, but it was pretty crowded. I can't put my finger on what else there was with it. I liked Deer Valley a lot better, and I've only been there once. I'm a lot more likely to go back there.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:29 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
. I liked Deer Valley a lot better, and I've only been there once. I'm a lot more likely to go back there.
+1 on Deer Valley. That's where we used to stay every year. Great snow, great service, great food. (Great, big prices!)
Old 03-14-2023, 06:09 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
What the...? They seem to be winding down operations for the season. Weird how you were able to buy a ticket. Can you use it another day, or get a refund?

How does the online ticket thing work anyhow? Do you have to carry your phone with you to present a barcode?
I contacted support hoping to get credit for another day but they declined. Turns out Alpental is always closed on Mondays, ugh! Apparently each area (Alpental, West, Central and East) has independent hours and it's on the ticket buyer to double check the area they desire is open when purchasing online.
acronymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:20 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

The last time I skied a lot was when the skis were a different length/shape. I still got back on the slopes after 60. I stay on wide slopes with plenty of people around in case I have a problem. And I know someone who downhill skis at 89.

Start by taking lessons again to get your confidence back.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:54 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

OK, here's a question for us oldsters:
I'm told that with the new shaped skis you should use a broad stance with equal weight on each ski, weight on center.

I. Just. Can't. Do. That.

Even with shaped skis, I must hold my feet/skis together as if they were welded together, downhill ski ahead by 3 inches, weight on the downhill ski (unless doing a decelerated turn), weight waay over the tips.

If I don't, I feel like some hillbilly beginner. Bad form, bad style! It's how I learned what ski style is more than half a century ago, and cannot bring myself to change. Maybe I'm not getting the most out of the shaped, but it all feels so damn wrong! It's embarrassing!

Anyone else?
Old 03-14-2023, 07:16 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
OK, here's a question for us oldsters:
I'm told that with the new shaped skis you should use a broad stance with equal weight on each ski, weight on center.

I. Just. Can't. Do. That.

Even with shaped skis, I must hold my feet/skis together as if they were welded together, downhill ski ahead by 3 inches, weight on the downhill ski (unless doing a decelerated turn), weight waay over the tips.

If I don't, I feel like some hillbilly beginner. Bad form, bad style! It's how I learned what ski style is more than half a century ago, and cannot bring myself to change. Maybe I'm not getting the most out of the shaped, but it all feels so damn wrong! It's embarrassing!

Anyone else?

I probably ski more like you do. I wouldn't say I keep my skis welded together but they're pretty close with the downhill ski about the same as you (3" ahead). I wouldn't say my weight is way over the tips but a fair amount over, yes.

I think the benefit I've noticed from shaped skis is their ability to help me initiate a turn and they just feel better finishing a turn if that makes sense. My carving skis are plenty fast and very easy to turn. They are heavier than my wood-core all mountain skis but if I'm skiing anything remotely icy they really hold an edge.

Separately, I'm just thrilled to read about so many 60+ people that are still skiing and many skiing lots of days per season. And to those who are considering picking it up or picking it back up, just take it really slow and ski the easy trails...and wear a helmet