Join Early Retirement Today

Skiing after 60+
Old 03-09-2023, 10:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Skiing after 60+

I haven't downhill skied for about six years—partly thanks to Covid—and am thinking about getting back into it. I skied a lot in my 20s through mid-40s, including some backcountry on randonee gear and have done a little XC the past couple years on a great old pair of Karhu Lookouts, climbing up the slope to get to the trails rather than riding the lift, and snowplowing/walking down the slope.

My main concern of course is falling and getting injured. A friend who's 65 and an avid skier recently crashed and tore more ligaments in his knee than I knew it had. He's currently limping around in an impressive brace, waiting for some areas to heal before getting surgery on his ACL. He did say that his ski didn't pop off, though his DIN setting wasn't too high. But maybe it's at the upper end of his appropriate range. I tend to keep mine in the low-middle setting for my range.

I've crashed plenty of times in the past skiing, windsurfing, and mountain biking, with no serious injury, but now I'm 60 and though I'm still pretty fit I'm feeling a little wimpy.

So how are you 60+ skiers doing these days? Still cutting up the pow and conquering the moguls? Dealing with any injuries? Sticking to the blue squares/red circles? Thinking it's about time for that final run? Like this guy, going out on a career high with class:

O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2023, 11:02 AM   #2

I still ski in my 70s, and I'm always impressed by how many of us oldsters I meet out on the slopes. Possibly because many ski areas give substantial discounts at that age.

My only suggestion is that in the months before your skiing, you really need to strengthen those leg muscles, especially the quads. Also make sure your core is stable.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:06 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gosh, I overdid skiing around age 30 and my knees never recovered. So that ended my skiing career.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I still ski in my 70s, and I'm always impressed by how many of us oldsters I meet out on the slopes. Possibly because many ski areas give substantial discounts at that age.

My only suggestion is that in the months before your skiing, you really need to strengthen those leg muscles, especially the quads. Also make sure your core is stable.
That's encouraging, thanks! I'm still in pretty good shape, as I lift weights 3x/week and do box jumps and cycling. But I'd certainly take it easy the first day, maybe even hitting the beginner slope for few runs.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:12 AM   #5

Well, I'm not quite 60 yet (still another five full years to go), but unless something about my health and physical fitness drastically changes, I have no doubt I'll still be an avid skier in my seventh decade. I've been averaging about 10-20 days on the mountain each ski season over the past ten years, and I just don't see that changing much. Sure, a twisted ankle or knee is always a possibility, but that's life. My worst injuries on the slopes happened when I was much younger, so I haven't yet seen any age correlation there.

Now, will I be doing any long, steep, black moguls when I'm 65? Probably not. Moguls are a young man's game, IMHO, given the stress and strain on the joints, but nice groomed blues and blacks... oh yeah! I'll keep doing those as long as I can. I'll consider it a happy life accomplishment if I'm still cruising down groomed and ◆ runs once I crest the 70 year mark. Something to shoot for, I guess!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Gosh, I overdid skiing around age 30 and my knees never recovered. So that ended my skiing career.
I had to give up running because my knees were getting too sore the next day. Skiing never bothered them, but might now. I think they do get a little swollen after a day of vigorous cycling.

Did you have specific injuries or general joint pain?
Old 03-09-2023, 11:21 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I just returned, at age 62, from a ski trip here in the NE. We have been skiing the same mountain (Sunday River Maine) for over 20 years and there are trails for all levels. In younger years we would ski them all, but these days we stay away from the steepest and narrowest trails - we also go midweek when it less crowded and a bit cheaper.
Kabowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
My worst injuries on the slopes happened when I was much younger, so I haven't yet seen any age correlation there.
The biggest correlation with my ski injuries is how empty the bota bag was!
Old 03-09-2023, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabowest View Post
I just returned, at age 62, from a ski trip here in the NE. We have been skiing the same mountain (Sunday River Maine) for over 20 years and there are trails for all levels. In younger years we would ski them all, but these days we stay away from the steepest and narrowest trails - we also go midweek when it less crowded and a bit cheaper.
So do most skiers wear helmets these days?
Old 03-09-2023, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
So do most skiers wear helmets these days?
Where I ski, everyone wears one. At first I thought it was unnecessary, but I found that I really like it. Keeps my head warm.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:35 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes, this. And also what you said about having your bindings set properly.

I also learned to make sure the bottoms of my boots were clean so I'd clip in good. I had the same knee damage as your friend a few years ago, when a ski suddenly released and I lost control, and I landed badly. I wasn't even going very fast. I'm pretty sure the boot wasn't fully in the binding after a break a couple runs earlier.

Helmet, of course. Always.

I'm 61 and already bought my pass to the local ski hill for next year without hesitation, and deciding where to go out west. Blue and black groomers mostly for me. I would still like to cut in and out of the intermediate glades but the last few years I haven't been out in enough powder for me to feel safe in them. I found myself in moguls a few times this year and I did ok on them but it is work and just not that much fun for me.

I still go pretty fast, just a little slower each year to stay in control. Some people get hurt going too fast out of control. Others get hurt by getting run into someone going too fast. I figure with decent speed I have fewer chances of someone faster hitting me from behind. At least that's how I justify the thrill of speed.

On trips out west I don't ski first chair to last anymore. When I start getting tired and feel my form start to break down, I either take a break or head in. By that time others are getting tired too, and the snow is usually more inconsistent by then, so it's less safe. Sometimes I'll even take the gondola down from mid-mountain to avoid the crowded and poor condition run to the bottom.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where I ski, everyone wears one. At first I thought it was unnecessary, but I found that I really like it. Keeps my head warm.
Most do, I see a few who don't. Really bad decision, IMO.

Get one with vents you can open for warm days. A balaclava can keep it extra warm on cold days, and try them on with goggles to eliminate the gap on your forehead.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:13 PM   #13

Quote:
I always tended to get too hot skiing. Rarely wore a hat, usually just pulled on my hood if it was cold. Of course this is in the Pacific Northwest where most days are in the 20s.

Are helmets big now mostly because the areas are so crowded? Seems to me that the chance of a collision on groomed runs increased when snowboarding took off, but then crowds have gotten a lot bigger too. And the number of people skiing/boarding in the trees.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Are helmets big now mostly because the areas are so crowded? Seems to me that the chance of a collision on groomed runs increased when snowboarding took off, but then crowds have gotten a lot bigger too. And the number of people skiing/boarding in the trees.
Yes, I think it's a combination of all those things, plus high-profile news stories about celebrities who've died due to head injuries on the slopes (Liam Neeson's wife, Michael Kennedy, Sonny Bono, etc.).
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I always tended to get too hot skiing. Rarely wore a hat, usually just pulled on my hood if it was cold. Of course this is in the Pacific Northwest where most days are in the 20s.

Liability.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I had the same knee damage as your friend a few years ago, when a ski suddenly released and I lost control, and I landed badly. I wasn't even going very fast. I'm pretty sure the boot wasn't fully in the binding after a break a couple runs earlier.
Nice to hear that you recovered from that injury! I know people who've had knee and also hip replacements, and went back to skiing. Of course, when you're an athlete you're in shape already and are motivated to lean into therapy so you can get back to your sports. Many non-athletes who've had a joint replaced don't recover very well, or just continue their downhill slide to complete loss of mobility.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had to give up running because my knees were getting too sore the next day. Skiing never bothered them, but might now. I think they do get a little swollen after a day of vigorous cycling.

Did you have specific injuries or general joint pain?
Knee pain, both. And I had to give up high impact aerobics after that trip because my knees became very sensitive to impact. They would get crunchy and stiff. I’ve since learned how to manage physical activity to avoid knee issues. No more jumping around for sure.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I skied a lot in my 50s and into my 60s. I even took up snowboarding when I was about 55. After my mid 60s I dropped it for no particular reason. Now, approaching 75, I won't go back because of concern about breaks. That said, my good friends in Vail who are my age are avid skiers and still hit the black diamond slopes.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:51 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in a ski town and ski 50-60 days a year. I just turned 60 so there is that.

I recently rode up with an 85 year old local who can ski like he’s 50. I’ve learned here that is more about health and fitness than age

Almost everyone here wears helmets. It is just smart. In a twisting fall you usually hit the back of your head. With a helmet no big deal. Without it is.

One saying we have is that you get in shape to ski rather than get in shape by skiing. In my experience that really helps reduce injuries. They can happen, of course, as in any sport.

YOLO. I find skiing to be one of my happy places. Not much beats a beautiful powder day with snowy trees and awesome views.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Had to give up skiing at 40 when I had my ACL right knee surgery. Never the same.
However, I am able to play Pickleball 6x weekly, 4-5 hours daily with no pain thankfully.