Sleep aid - heavier cover

Buckeye

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I normally sleep pretty well but since purchasing, a down comforter I have been sleeping even better (longer and deeper). The comforter is a lighter weight comforter (we live in Florida) but it is heavier (actual weight) than the blanket we had been using. It has a wonderful toasty warmth that is hard to explain.

I'm posting this because I just finished reading the nightcap versus mary jane sleep thread.

I saw stories about the sleep benefits of weighted blankets after I started to experience better sleep and I think there might be something to it.

https://harkla.co/blogs/special-needs/weighted-blanket-sleep-benefits

A great pillow also helps with the quality of sleep.

My wife sleeps in an adjustable bed because of digestion problems. She needs to be elevated slightly, and she loves it.

cold room and heavy comforter,

Ikea has a great selection of pillows,

everyone should tilt beds to prevent night reflux, as well as minimizing late evening snacking

Last edited:
DH and I sleep best in a cool room with 2-3 blankets. HOB is elevated slightly which reduces snoring.

I like and use many of the suggestions so far in this thread. Great pillow, cold room with multiple comforters, and comfy socks all help.

I don't get acid reflux, so that isn't a sleep issue for me.

I should try a lightweight down comforter too. Thanks, Buckeye!

Room temperature makes a big difference for me (keep it cool) and the darker, the better.

Instead of white noise, I have a good classical music station playing wayyyy down low (volume, can barely hear it).

[ADDED] In keeping with the thread title: a couple of years ago I bought a hotel-type thermal blanket (thin, but does the job in winter) to layer under a comforter. Nice to dive back under the cozy covers in a cool environment.

Last edited:
Our thrermost turns the heat to 60 at ten, and does not come back until six. It get very chilly. About 4am DW gets an afghan DM made for us and we get underneath it. Sometimes one little dog gets up from the foot of the bed where she sleeps and snuggles in my back. It's a great feeling.

We have a heated waterbed so it's always warm.

_B

Our thrermost turns the heat to 60 at ten, and does not come back until six. It get very chilly. About 4am DW gets an afghan DM made for us and we get underneath it. Sometimes one little dog gets up from the foot of the bed where she sleeps and snuggles in my back. It's a great feeling.

60? :eek: I would freeze to death! :LOL: When I say that I turn down the thermostat and use three comforters, I'm talking about turning it down to 71F. :D I guess I'm acclimated to our warmer climate here in New Orleans.

I bought the queen, mediumweight DownLite Hotel & Resort Hungarian White Goose Down Comforter from online Costco. Unfortunately, no longer discounted but not a million bucks at $149. Seemed really thin when it arrived but it has really poofed up. I found a cotton (trying not to add more heat) duvet cover at Lands End because the cat loves sleeping on it!

I like and use many of the suggestions so far in this thread. Great pillow, cold room with multiple comforters, and comfy socks all help.

I don't get acid reflux, so that isn't a sleep issue for me.

I should try a lightweight down comforter too. Thanks, Buckeye!

Reactions: W2R
In the Seattle climate it is hard for me to get a room cold enough for my best sleep. I turn the heat completely off around 7:00, and later fall asleep with a light cover then often pull another one on if I wake up during the night.

Ha

The weighted blankets preferred by people on the autistic spectrum are starting to be liked by the general population. For me they are good for a while, but then my skin doesn't appreciate the weight any longer and the blanket comes off. I believe the heavy blanket concept is inspired by the work of Dr. Temple Grandin.

From the article: "Weighted blankets began as a coping device in the special-needs community. Now the Instagram-shopping masses can’t get enough of them." "Weighted blankets have been used as sleep aids and calming aids in special-needs communities for years. Some of the earliest implementations date back to 1999, when the occupational therapist Tina Champagne began using weighted blankets to help some mental-health patients. Autism researchers such as Amanda Richdale at La Trobe University in Australia estimate that up to 80 percent of children with autism-spectrum disorders have sleep problems—which often stem from sensory issues, such as sensitivity to particular textures grazing the skin, according to Lindsey Biel, the author of Sensory Processing Challenges: Effective Clinical Work With Kids and Teens. Weighted blankets tend to decrease movement and thus friction. Many special-needs individuals also tend to experience overarousal of the nervous system, Biel says, and in recent years, the blankets have been implemented to help veterans with PTSD symptoms sleep through the night without panic attacks or night terrors."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...jG0eP_B3YFsODySDQ3OgUveBlB9WqXv-tnAFqwkDbJmEs

Been using heavy blankets for 40 years. Very cool (60-65) room. Sleep in birthday suit because I hate any constriction. Fur kid sleeps next to me on the blanket. When its time to get up, he plops his hams on my head. :confused:

60? :eek: I would freeze to death! [emoji23] When I say that I turn down the thermostat and use three comforters, I'm talking about turning it down to 71F. :D I guess I'm acclimated to our warmer climate here in New Orleans.
I grew up in PA, in a barn that was converted into a house. The problem is there's no HVAC vents in 19th century barns. The heat for the upstairs bedrooms(mine) was blasted down from the attic, it was either blazing hot or freezing cold. I quickly learned to turn off the vent for winter and learned to love sleeping in the cold.

Thankfully DW likes it cold and we snuggle under the covers together. It's weird in this house, our furnace runs during the night hours, but doesn't blow any heat. During off peak electric rates it runs, storing heat in thermal bricks, later we use the stored heat. Not sure if it saves much money, but they seem popular in the area.

After many years of using a comforter and blanket, I switched to a medium weight Hungarian goose down comforter and electric blanket turned down low. I like how lightweight yet very insulating the goose down is. I also use a duvet cover for easier laundering. I have a winter forest print duvet cover that goes on before Thanksgiving, and a spring green dandelion print duvet cover for spring/summer. Much easier to keep clean than a heavy comforter.

I am very intrigued by weighted blankets. For years, I've slept the best when I have several blankets on me. It isn't just the heat I want, it is the weight. I recognized that years ago before even learning about weighted blankets. Right now I sleep under 3 king size blankets double folded to cover just me. Even so, I thought actually think they are heavy enough. I am thinking I will do some research on this and see if I could find a weighted one I like. I don't really need the heat of the 3 blankets I have now. It is the weight that I want.

When I visit Seattle from FL in early March for our Girls Winter Weekend, my friend's house is always freezing at night. I sleep under a comforter and blankets and sometimes my fuzzy robe, too. I need to send her a down comforter for the guest room!

In the Seattle climate it is hard for me to get a room cold enough for my best sleep. I turn the heat completely off around 7:00, and later fall asleep with a light cover then often pull another one on if I wake up during the night.

Ha

60? :eek: I would freeze to death! :LOL: When I say that I turn down the thermostat and use three comforters, I'm talking about turning it down to 71F. :D I guess I'm acclimated to our warmer climate here in New Orleans.

Wow.... We have our heat set during the day to the high of 70F.
At night it goes off at 10 pm and goes down to 64F.

I sleep great in the winter, temperature cut down to 60 degrees, lightweight comforter. I rarely sleep as well in the summer because I am too hot and often wake up sweating, I sweat even if the temperature is only 65. I really need the temperature down to 60 to sleep really good. My night sweats is not because of hot flashes, I was this way as a child. My mother would often think I was sick because I would wake up in the night sweating, but I was not sick I was just hot! Fortunately DH likes it cold at night too.

Our night thermostat setting is 59 deg. But the thermostat is in the living room and I have isolated the radiator in the bedroom, so it is usually a little colder than that in the winter. We sleep with a down comforter and two cats. In the summer, we have a bedroom window A/C and usually set it on 66 deg. overnight.

The best sleeping for me in winter is with an open window and lots of covers and a dog, but we can hear trains from our house so that's not very restful (plus it's freezing when we wake up so [-]DH[/-] someone has to go close the window in the morning right away). Programable thermostats are a great thing.

I think for me a weighted blanket would keep me from sleeping.

Last edited:
During winter I have my one thermostat located downstairs set at 60 degrees overnight. I sleep on the second story of the house so it is a bit warmer than that. I sleep in pajama bottoms and a tee shirt under a cotton top sheet, followed by a cotton quilt and topped off with a Polartec fleece blanket. Very comfortable for me. During the dog days of summer I have the thermostat at 70 overnight and a ceiling fan over my bed.

Our night thermostat setting is 59 deg. But the thermostat is in the living room and I have isolated the radiator in the bedroom, so it is usually a little colder than that in the winter. We sleep with a down comforter and two cats. In the summer, we have a bedroom window A/C and usually set it on 66 deg. overnight.
We slept with A/C for 38 years in KC. We have A/C in this house, I've turned it on every year, but we don't need it. After sundown it's so nice and cool. We have a parlor stove in the living room and it gets used on cold summer mornings.

Back
Top Bottom