Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical

Surprisingly no one has brought up sleep apps. Most are free and offer all kinds of tools. I find that listening to soft soothing sounds to be helpful. I'm not sure which one but I had one that played lake sounds from one of the finger lakes..

I'm a bit surprised to how many people need chemical sleep aids.

Guess I'm just lucky.

Guess I'm just lucky.
You haven't seen anything in here. I stumbled upon some folks on Reddit who are either bragging how to wake up dead, or have serious sleep problems.

These folks seemed to have other medical issues besides insomnia and were on unreal combinations of meds to help sleep. Some were obviously BS, I hope. One guy said he took 20mg xanax on top of 12.5mg ambien, 1200mg gamuputin, 10mg olanzipine, and a couple I didn't know! I think taking 20mg xanax, and 12.5 of ambien would be a long dirt nap! Honestly I don't think that's a dosage or combination any MD would approve of.

Lots big money.

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject....altria-cronos-investment-marijuana/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Altria hopes pot is the key to help it grow beyond its stagnant cigarette business.
Tobacco giant Altira is investing $1.8 billion in Canadian cannabis company Cronos Group. That will give Altria a 45% stake in the company, with an option for Altria to increase its stake to 55% over the next five years.
Reports of an Altria-Cronos deal*first surfaced earlier this week. The decision by Altria to go ahead with an investment in Cronos shows that Altria is serious about investing in marijuana as a new growth area as sales of traditional cigarettes slow.

Now 3. I've also had various sleep issues since childhood.

Now 3 1/2 . OP here the reason I posed the question is I have never slept a night through since 40 years ago when babies came along. I don’t remember having ANY sleep issues prior to babies. I used to think it was my body clock maladjusted for the frequent night feedings- but that seems unlikely 40 years later. Lol. I have tried many legal prescriptions and sleep therapy routines but nothing keeps me asleep past 3 am. I am self employed now so when someone wants to schedule an appt prior to 10 am I am able to make excuses or just go with bags under my eyes. We don’t live in a legal MJ state so I can’t try the strains recommended, without going to the sketchy dealers in our town- no telling if I’d end up in the ER with fentanyl poisoning. I’d much rather be assured of the source and the dose.

Guess I'm just lucky.

I'm also surprised at how many need chemicals to wake-up. Coffee extra sugar and cream, tea, diet-coke, mountain dew, hell some even drink booze.

So many shirts or mugs that say "Don't speak to me before this cup is empty" or things of that nature.

I don't even use an alarm, haven't ever since I left the service. I just get up when I need to, which is almost peculiar from even MY own perspective lol.

DW has all sorts of stress about falling asleep and has trouble sleeping. I think its because of her job and also she uses a kindle screen right up until she's too tired to keep her eyes open. Vs me, I just go up to bed and lay down, close my eyes and sleep. She needs to have multiple alarms to wake-up and really stresses if she needs to wake early.

Me, I just lay down, close my eyes, and wake-up when I need to usually 6-8hrs later. Sure the occasional hot flash or toss and turn, and it hasn't always been like this. In my teenage years I slept on a couch for years, before I discovered thc.

Work Out

I have found that if I am training or working out I sleep so much better. I have found that a TOTAL dark room (think room darkening blinds) really helps me as I am somewhat of a light sleeper.

I have a much harder time falling asleep now that I have cut far back on processed foods, sugars, etc. "Food coma" isn't a joke! Eating more cleanly has helped me lose weight, and wake up more refreshed on less sleep, but I do miss being dead as soon as I hit the pillow.

Honestly I don't think that's a dosage or combination any MD would approve of.
Holy moly! 20mg? That's nearly 100x a starting dose of 0.25mg for insomnia, a typical prescription.

Maybe it is bogus, but tolerance is an odd thing. Some alcoholics can down a fifth of 80 proof and you would not even know it by their behavior. That scene in "Leaving Las Vegas" where the Cage character is drinking straight out of a fifth bottle, while driving, is not fiction for the tolerant drinker.

I suppose it must be the same with benzo addicts.

Holy moly! 20mg? That's nearly 100x a starting dose of 0.25mg for insomnia, a typical prescription.

Maybe it is bogus, but tolerance is an odd thing. Some alcoholics can down a fifth of 80 proof and you would not even know it by their behavior. That scene in "Leaving Las Vegas" where the Cage character is drinking straight out of a fifth bottle, while driving, is not fiction for the tolerant drinker.

I suppose it must be the same with benzo addicts.
+1

I don't know about benzos first hand but I remember the first fellow I knew had a drinking problem. I was about 18, this guy looked 60 but was probably only 40.

We changed an engine out in a truck, he let us use his garage that day. I remember watching him down a fifth of vodka in a couple hours and it never slowed him down! He acted totally sober, he wasn't a particularly big guy either. Other than his BAC I think he would have passed a sobriety checkpoint.

Catching up on this thread while waiting for the Benadryl to kick in. [emoji16]

I'm surprised at how much weed has been vilified on this thread. Hey, we aren't working anymore, right? What's the big deal if someone vapes a bit of weed? It's not as bad for you as alcohol and surely Benadryl and the like is just a substitute for alcohol or sleeping pills - chemicals. I'm just surprised this forum has what would appear to be a majority of people who are anti-weed (calling it dope - really? where are we? 1972). I thought over 50-60% of America supports legalization? No aging hippies here I guess. Did they all take low paying jobs so they can't retire early? Color me confused....

+1

I don't know about benzos first hand but I remember the first fellow I knew had a drinking problem. I was about 18, this guy looked 60 but was probably only 40.

We changed an engine out in a truck, he let us use his garage that day. I remember watching him down a fifth of vodka in a couple hours and it never slowed him down! He acted totally sober, he wasn't a particularly big guy either. Other than his BAC I think he would have passed a sobriety checkpoint.
I had a scary incident cousin turned 21 and ended up in ER getting stomach pumped. When I dropped him off he was at a .30 BAC and I was shocked...then the nurse said thats nothing we see guys all the time who come in with higher BACs and they are wide awake. My cousin waa out cold at .3 lol.

To answer the original question: IMHO, inhaling any kind of smoke is almost certainly bad for one's lungs. If I were to need weed, I would use the edible variety. I already imbibe daily (one to occasionally two beers) so I'd not be wanting any more alcohol than that. Fortunately, I fall asleep easily and usually have little trouble getting back to sleep if I should waken in the night.

Well traditionally the weed used in the edibles is the type of weed that put you to sleep . When we do edibles one hour later we are looking to hit the bed. The Sativa when we smoke that we eat eat . Don't use weed to go to sleep , when I am ready to go to sleep I go to sleep . If I don't go to sleep I am not ready to go to sleep go do something.

no blue light as discussed above and whenever I remember I put my legs in the air (yoga pose called legs up the wall, but you can just raise your legs and get the same effect). And then body scanning which is essentially choosing an end to start at and say relax your forehead, now deeper, relax your jaw, now REALLY relax your jaw, and then I generally drop off to sleep before I get to my knees

So ...you fall asleep with your legs in the air? :LOL:

Would be interesting to hear if posters are male or female and approximate age. Not sure I have met a woman over 50 that does not have issues sleeping.

Sleep is CRITICAL to good health and suffers when we don't get it. I have also learned that plants are powerful. I learned that juicing years back. Eating lots of veggies is also good. Essential oils made from plants also have power, just like hemp and MJ.

Not sure everyone realizes but CBD oil can be made without a trace of THC and is legal in all 50 states. It can be bought online in various forms. Also various brands, forms and strengths work differently. In the last few weeks I have tried a few drops under my tongue before bed. It has worked far better than anything else I have tried OTC. A drop here and there also helps for anxiety. For me it is far safer than any pharmaceutical.. although they may be seizing the rights to control it in the future.

Alcohol has never been good for helping me sleep.

Herbal non caffeine teas is the way to go. Don’t check emails or watch the idiot box before going to bed. That will be on your mind and not help you sleep right away. Alcohol and reefer if you go that route will just kill your liver or your lungs and also deplete your savings.

By far the marijuana , believe me I know a lot of retired professionals that use weed. Why do you think the football players use it. Don't get the Sativa you will be up eating everything in sight. I think it is called indigo a type of marijuana or Indigo butter mix it in a muffin . Eat a quarter muffin wait 20 mins eat another quarter . See you in the morning . No hangover No addiction . Just safe relaxation.

By far the marijuana , believe me I know a lot of retired professionals that use weed. Why do you think the football players use it. Don't get the Sativa you will be up eating everything in sight. I think it is called indigo a type of marijuana or Indigo butter mix it in a muffin . Eat a quarter muffin wait 20 mins eat another quarter . See you in the morning . No hangover No addiction . Just safe relaxation.
Indica. Eating requires some preparation, decarbing(heating to convert the THCA/CBDA into THC/CBD that your body can process) and extraction into a fat. It's not hard and there's machines that automate the process. Eating raw cannabis will make you wish you hadn't!

Cannibis Sativa is for energy, Cannibis Indica is for relaxing and sleep.Many strains are 50/50 hybrids today, terpenes are being explored by some for specific purposes.

Last edited:
Thanks MRG ! what we get is Sativa . Only time we mess with the Indica is in Amsterdam . A friend makes brownies from some type of butter . When we get together the women love the cookies and cakes.

Sex or red wine, or both works.

Herbal non caffeine teas is the way to go. Don’t check emails or watch the idiot box before going to bed. That will be on your mind and not help you sleep right away. Alcohol and reefer if you go that route will just kill your liver or your lungs and also deplete your savings.

+1

Back
Top Bottom