Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

By far the marijuana , believe me I know a lot of retired professionals that use weed. Why do you think the football players use it. Don't get the Sativa you will be up eating everything in sight. I think it is called indigo a type of marijuana or Indigo butter mix it in a muffin . Eat a quarter muffin wait 20 mins eat another quarter . See you in the morning . No hangover No addiction . Just safe relaxation.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
By far the marijuana , believe me I know a lot of retired professionals that use weed. Why do you think the football players use it. Don't get the Sativa you will be up eating everything in sight. I think it is called indigo a type of marijuana or Indigo butter mix it in a muffin . Eat a quarter muffin wait 20 mins eat another quarter . See you in the morning . No hangover No addiction . Just safe relaxation.
Indica. Eating requires some preparation, decarbing(heating to convert the THCA/CBDA into THC/CBD that your body can process) and extraction into a fat. It's not hard and there's machines that automate the process. Eating raw cannabis will make you wish you hadn't!

Cannibis Sativa is for energy, Cannibis Indica is for relaxing and sleep.Many strains are 50/50 hybrids today, terpenes are being explored by some for specific purposes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #123

Thanks MRG ! what we get is Sativa . Only time we mess with the Indica is in Amsterdam . A friend makes brownies from some type of butter . When we get together the women love the cookies and cakes.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Sex or red wine, or both works.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Herbal non caffeine teas is the way to go. Don’t check emails or watch the idiot box before going to bed. That will be on your mind and not help you sleep right away. Alcohol and reefer if you go that route will just kill your liver or your lungs and also deplete your savings.

+1
Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

no close up screens and low or no light end of evening to stimulate melatonin

take 10mg melatonin with time release

try melatonin with L-theamine in same pill

no caffiene after lunch

no alcohol evenings if waking up to pee

fall asleep listening to podcast or tv on sleep timer, use earbuds if not sleeping solo

sleep in guest bedroom
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #127

I'm resurrecting this thread because, on a whim, I bought a bottle of the new NyQuil Pure Zzzz, which is drug free (melatonin, lavender, chamomile, and valerian root).

They tout it as helping you to get to sleep faster, which is why I tried it. I haven't seen any evidence of that (if anything, I feel like I'm awake later), but it suddenly occurred to me this morning how rested I have felt for the past week or so. Realized that I haven't been getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, which I've done since I was little.

I have pretty much felt tired my entire life, so this feeling of being rested is completely alien. I can't say with 100% certainty that it's the Zzzzs, but I'm not going to mess with it.

Only down side is that they are very sugary gummies, which bugs me. But they went with a grape flavor, which I love.

I may try to start taking them an hour before bed instead of 30 minutes, to see if that helps getting to sleep. But maybe what's really happening is that I am going to bed just by the clock and now that I'm getting better sleep I can stay up later.

Anyway, just a data point if someone wants to know.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical
Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #128

Sleep. For a nightcap, which is healthier: alcohol or marijuana? if you need chemical

Alcohol might help you fall asleep faster but it interferes with the quality of your sleep and by morning you are not well rested. I recommend using time release melatonin. And exercise during the day.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
I'm resurrecting this thread because, on a whim, I bought a bottle of the new NyQuil Pure Zzzz, which is drug free (melatonin, lavender, chamomile, and valerian root).
Sounds like interesting stuff but why would you describe it as drug free? Just because the four you mentioned don’t have the chemical names?
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Sounds like interesting stuff but why would you describe it as drug free? Just because the four you mentioned don’t have the chemical names?
In the UK, Melatonin is a prescription medication.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #131

Quote:
How about "natural agents"? I just meant things that weren't initially generated in Big Pharma's labs.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had trouble sleeping for 6+ years. Time release melatonin works best for me for a few days. I recently tried edible pot on a recent TV trip to Colorado. No help.

Hoppy beers work best. Double IPAS. I have recently started taking a hop supplement to avoid the beer calories.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
I have had trouble sleeping for 6+ years. Time release melatonin works best for me for a few days.
Early in this thread, I posted a Link on Melatonin. I wonder if anyone read it?

Quote:
Melatonin works on both systems. It has a weak “hypnotic” effect on Process S, making you immediately sleepier when you take it. It also has a stronger “chronobiotic” effect on the circadian rhythm, shifting what time of day your body considers sleep to be a good idea. Effective use of melatonin comes from understanding both these effects and using each where appropriate.
Quote:
2. What is the right dose of melatonin?

0.3 mg.

“But my local drugstore sells 10 mg pills! When I asked if they had anything lower, they looked through their stockroom and were eventually able to find 3 mg pills! And you’re saying the correct dose is a third of a milligram?!”

Yes. Most existing melatonin tablets are around ten to thirty times the correct dose.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #134
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post

They tout it as helping you to get to sleep faster, which is why I tried it. I haven't seen any evidence of that (if anything, I feel like I'm awake later), but it suddenly occurred to me this morning how rested I have felt for the past week or so. Realized that I haven't been getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, which I've done since I was little.

I have pretty much felt tired my entire life, so this feeling of being rested is completely alien. I can't say with 100% certainty that it's the Zzzzs, but I'm not going to mess with it.

Only down side is that they are very sugary gummies, which bugs me. But they went with a grape flavor, which I love.

I may try to start taking them an hour before bed instead of 30 minutes, to see if that helps getting to sleep. But maybe what's really happening is that I am going to bed just by the clock and now that I'm getting better sleep I can stay up later.

Anyway, just a data point if someone wants to know.
I know some people that swear by NyQuil as a sleep aid. The local grocery stores and pharmacies cannot keep up with the demand. Many times the store shelves are empty of the stuff.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
I know some people that swear by NyQuil as a sleep aid. The local grocery stores and pharmacies cannot keep up with the demand. Many times the store shelves are empty of the stuff.
Yes, though this is not the straight NyQuil, nor the newish ZzzQuil, which is just Benadryl in a Quil package. I've certainly use either of those once in a while for sleep aids, but this Pure Zzzz is more for nightly use, and also touts the lack of grogginess.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

DH is having excellent results with OTC supplement HTP-5. He still gets up at night to let dog out, etc. But instead of coming back to bed and lying awake for hours, he’s back to sleep as soon as his head hits the pillow. Placebo effect? Maybe, but he is very skeptical of anything not prescribed by his MD but has become a big fan of this particular bedtime supplement.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:42 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Indica. Eating requires some preparation, decarbing(heating to convert the THCA/CBDA into THC/CBD that your body can process) and extraction into a fat. It's not hard and there's machines that automate the process. Eating raw cannabis will make you wish you hadn't!

Cannibis Sativa is for energy, Cannibis Indica is for relaxing and sleep.Many strains are 50/50 hybrids today, terpenes are being explored by some for specific purposes.
More so than a somewhat artificial label of indica or sativa, (most are hybrids anyway) maybe more important is the terpenes of the marijuana buds. The terpenes are responsible for the taste and a lot of the effects. If you find a variety you like, you'll most likely like another variety with similar terpenes. I like blue dream for sleep, it's 85% sativa, but very relaxing.

Same with pain, or energy. If you fine a variety that works for you pay attention to the terpenes. Other varieties with similar terpenes will be closer in effect than say two sativas would with different terpenes. It's the cannabinoids, (over 70) terpenes and the ratios of each that determine the effects.

Most medibles won't have much in the way terpenes compared with fresh buds as they disapate during cooking. Not many folks could tell a sativa from an indica in medibles form.

We make our own cannacaps from a mj concentrate we make ourselves. I squeeze buds with a 20 ton press to extract the oils. And use the oils mixed with coconut oil in size 00 gel caps. The ratio of canna oil to coconut oil will determine dose. The capsules set up in the fridge or freezer. We take one each in the evening. The capsules are much easier to get a correct dose than say brownies in a home setting.

For sleep cbn may be the most important cannabinoid. I believe it can be separated by heat, but I don't have any personal experience. I'm sure labs will figure it out. A lot of people swear the left over mj from vaporizers is good for sleep when eaten in a capsule. High cbn i guess. I never tried this myself.

As far as mj being so much more potent now? Show me the evidence. It's not there. (my little pet peeve) Today's herb is much better because it's grown better and handled with care. While yesterday's brick weed is like an old nag next to a racehorse. In fact one trend is to grow the old landrace varieties, before so many breeders took over without too much rhyme or reason. I still haven't seen anything now as strong as panama red in the late 70's. Was it high thc? Maybe, or maybe the terpenes. It was really something though, lol.

Its true that breeders have bred towards higher thc (and away from cbd) in the past but that's changing, especially in the medical mj area. But again the terpenes can have a huge effect both medically and effect wise. High thc strains are actually boring compared with a more balanced strain. Today's breeders go for medical effects and taste (terpenes) probably more so than for thc alone.

And yes I'm in a legal state. It's a shame everyone isn't.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
More so than a somewhat artificial label of indica or sativa, (most are hybrids anyway) maybe more important is the terpenes of the marijuana buds. The terpenes are responsible for the taste and a lot of the effects. If you find a variety you like, you'll most likely like another variety with similar terpenes. I like blue dream for sleep, it's 85% sativa, but very relaxing.
In DC the terpenes are not listed. It would be good if the commercial sources were required to analyze their strains and list a common set of component values. I take it they are doing so elsewhere.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In DC the terpenes are not listed. It would be good if the commercial sources were required to analyze their strains and list a common set of component values. I take it they are doing so elsewhere.
We're in the infancy of legalization, so I expect a lot of advancement in the next few years. Commercial providers do test for potency, pesticides now, and some are testing for terpenes. Strain info is available on the web, and a knowledgable bud tender can help as well.

If it weren't for politics we'd probably know a lot more already, but the science of cannabis is expanding fast. And as consumers demand more info, providers will eventually comply.

It's kinda ass backwards but the business of cannabis is pushing the science at the moment. I'd like to see some govt oversite and standardization but first we have to educate the govt. A more daunting task than legalization, lol.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote