So how many miles a week are you running now?

My wife and I both run 25 miles/week. We normally run at around 8:55/min. We try to run one 5K, one 10K and one Marathron a year. We also walk about 10 miles/week.

I'll be lucky to do 6 miles per week on the treadmill at the Y along with a few sessions on the elliptical. The back doesn't like hard surface running. Bike around 40 mi/wk and lap swim about 2 mi/wk to balance it out.

Wow. Very impressive for a guy over 50. I would show off too if I can do it. The best I can do is 65 miles non stop in a little less than 5 hours on a bicycle. Nothing to brag about :(

Don't diss yourself........there'sa LOT of folks out there that you would leave in the dust........:D

I raced bikes for two years, mainly crits and road races under 50 miles.......

Best 100 mile ride was 5 hours 30 minutes,but that was 20 years ago!!!

I only run if something is chasing me, and then I only take off if i'm sure I can outrun whatever it is and just standing my ground and kicking its ass isnt an option.

I can't run any more due to pain from multiple shoulder replacements. I can walk without too much pain and try to do 16-20 miles a week. I had cancer surgery at the end of January and am now just getting my stamina back to where I was before the surgery.

2soon

meniscectomy

Is anybody running long term after a meniscectomy (removal of a portion of the cartilage on either the medial or lateral aspect of the knee)?? I had a posterior tear of the medial meniscus about seven years ago and stopped running for fear of precipitating arthritic changes. I have played a lot of tennis since then and do heavy weight bearing exercises but I did stop running on the roads and trails. No problem so far. I would love to get back into some trail running (softer surface). Any advice/experience on this issue? I know some folks who ended up "bone on bone" who never ran further than from the car to a store in a rain storm so I know there must also be some metabolic and biomechanic issues involved sometimes. :confused:

Is anybody running long term after a meniscectomy (removal of a portion of the cartilage on either the medial or lateral aspect of the knee)?? I had a posterior tear of the medial meniscus about seven years ago and stopped running for fear of precipitating arthritic changes. I have played a lot of tennis since then and do heavy weight bearing exercises but I did stop running on the roads and trails. No problem so far. I would love to get back into some trail running (softer surface). Any advice/experience on this issue? I know some folks who ended up "bone on bone" who never ran further than from the car to a store in a rain storm so I know there must also be some metabolic and biomechanic issues involved sometimes. :confused:

Did your doctor give you any guidance on this? (I have no idea.) Did you get any physical therapy afterwards?

Well, physical therapy for this is not much of an issue if you are active anyway. I am a life long weight lifter (fitness, not bodybuilidng per se). the main issue as to p. t., I think, would be to reduce weight if you were obese. Standard ortho advice is don't run which usually comes from docs who don't run. I have read some of the studies but am confounded by much of it. What I am looking for is anecdotal from runners who have run after the surgery. I know that there have to be lots b/c athletes can be obsessive and ignore conventional medical advice. (example: I also had some groin pain which was diagnosed as hip arthritis. The orthopod told me to quit tennis and take vioxx. I didn't take the vioxx which proved to be a good move since it has since been implicated for causing cardiac issues. I cut down on tennis til a year passed when the pain disappeared. Serial xrays over the next three years showed equal joint space in both hips and no further problem. The point: if I had followed the original advice, I would have resigned myself to couch potato status and taken an expensive bad drug. I would not be competing in tennis and would probably be overweight and depressed for lack of activity.

Last edited:
I have a partially torn acl, 51 been running over 40 years tore the ACL in the mid 1970s!!! No surgery no work on the knees, no pain did all kinds of weight work on the legs, and hey I still put in 60+ mile weeks. I did quit the cutting sports tennis, rollerblading, snowboarding etc.

i have never learned to run distances - but after seeing yall's posts i got off my tush and walked my hilly neighborhood - thanks for the inspiration!!! if i do it 4/5 days during the work week i should get in about 10 miles...half of it up hills...good start since the farthest i'd been getting was the 20 ft to my office from my bedroom, 15 feet from the office to the kitchen, or the few laps around the local mall with a stroller!!

i have never learned to run distances - but after seeing yall's posts i got off my tush and walked my hilly neighborhood - thanks for the inspiration!!! if i do it 4/5 days during the work week i should get in about 10 miles...half of it up hills...good start since the farthest i'd been getting was the 20 ft to my office from my bedroom, 15 feet from the office to the kitchen, or the few laps around the local mall with a stroller!!

Excellent!!:D

My knees can't take running any more but I do biking and 6 months back started playing tennis again with a friend 18 years younger than me. (I'm 52). We usually play about 90 minutes and I usually win simply because I'm fitter. It feels great.

I'm still working but I go to the gymn about 4 times a week after work and bike a modest 40 miles on average at a weekend.

Windsurf--I don't know if this helps, but one of the injuries I had was torn cartilage in my right ankle (on top of the talus). It was partially attached so it was just flopping around inside and could cause further injury if left alone. I went in and had it and a bone spur on the same bone removed. The doctor said it would be replaced with scar tissue, and should not cause any more problems. For the most part he was correct, but that is one of the injuries that aches when I get to the 10-15 mpw point.

I've never been a runner. I have short legs. It has always been an effort for me to run.

After I retired, though, I started myself on a fairly serious workout routine. So, today I work out 5 days a week. I do isometrics, sit-ups, push-ups, chest-pull exercises, wrist-spring exercises, and I walk and run. I run 5 days a week for 1.33 miles each day, and I walk about 30 to 40 miles per week. On the weekends, I do not do my normal workout but I usually hike several miles.

This whole routine is interrupted when I travel, but often my travel involves volunteer efforts that require hiking or other physical effort.

I've never been a runner. I have short legs. It has always been an effort for me to run.

After I retired, though, I started myself on a fairly serious workout routine. So, today I work out 5 days a week. I do isometrics, sit-ups, push-ups, chest-pull exercises, wrist-spring exercises, and I walk and run. I run 5 days a week for 1.33 miles each day, and I walk about 30 to 40 miles per week. On the weekends, I do not do my normal workout but I usually hike several miles.

This whole routine is interrupted when I travel, but often my travel involves volunteer efforts that require hiking or other physical effort.

Can you recommend a website or book for isometrics? It's something I've been looking for.

Can you recommend a website or book for isometrics? It's something I've been looking for.
Unfortunately, no. My workout consists of a collection of exercises I recall from PE classes, TV exercise shows, etc.

sgee - at least explain, what is a "wrist spring" exercise?

sgee - at least explain, what is a "wrist spring" exercise?
All right. . . The mind of this forum is clearly in the gutter again. I don't know a formal name for the gadget, but it is a coiled spring attached at either end with a handle. You hold the handles and squeeze against the spring force. It builds up wrist strength. What you do with that strength is entirely up to you, but I don't see how it will help CFB with his intentions. :):):)

Wow. Very impressive for a guy over 50. I would show off too if I can do it. The best I can do is 65 miles non stop in a little less than 5 hours on a bicycle. Nothing to brag about

All right. . . The mind of this forum is clearly in the gutter again.

See? You're annoyed already! ;)

I don't know a formal name for the gadget, but it is a coiled spring attached at either end with a handle.

"Thats not mine, baby!"

I don't see how it will help CFB with his intentions.

What are those intentions, exactly? Cuz i'm not sure what they are...your insights please?

I run 3.5 miles 5 days a week. Looking to increase that when I RE...will have more time to run and cool down!

Seems to me that for purposes of general fitness, running for 60 min., three times a week, with no consecutive days to allow recovery, would be sufficient. This would mean running maybe 20-25 mi/wk.

Use the in-between days for strength training.

Back
Top Bottom