Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #81
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
I was running around 30 miles a week until I recently developed peroneal tendonitis in my right foot. Has anyone had any issues with this? I am supposed to lay off running for several weeks. The outside edge of the foot is very painful at times, often just to walk or stand with more weight on the right foot. The odd part of it is that it does not bother me much when I run, mainly after and when I first walk on it in the mornings.
Blue advils 400 mgs 3X a day take two or three days off and start again with easy miles. Ice after the runs.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Blue advils 400 mgs 3X a day take two or three days off and start again with easy miles. Ice after the runs.
Thanks newguy888. I tried ibuprofen a couple of times a day along with not running for almost two weeks but it has continued to bother me. It could be that I did not cut back enough when I started running again?
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lakedog,

It sounds very similar to plantar fasciitis (PA).

In addition to all the usual stuff (ice, anti-inflammatories, etc.) try using a tennis ball to massage the injured area.

I put the tennis ball on the floor and roll it around the the arch while putting part of my weight on that foot.

PA can take a long time to heal because there is little blood flow to the plantar tendon.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Lakedog,

It sounds very similar to plantar fasciitis (PA).

In addition to all the usual stuff (ice, anti-inflammatories, etc.) try using a tennis ball to massage the injured area.

I put the tennis ball on the floor and roll it around the the arch while putting part of my weight on that foot.

PA can take a long time to heal because there is little blood flow to the plantar tendon.

MB
Where's DSMO when you need it??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBear View Post
Ever done a beer bike marathon? We had to ride 26.2 miles and hit 10 different bars along the way and drink 1 beer at each one.
Ugg I still have nightmares on the runs the 1stSgt would take us on in the mornings if anyone was still hung over or had stayed up drinking all night.

Never forget one day a guy that was still pretty drunk, vomited near the Company Cpt and some splashed on him, pretty much a all out run for the next 20 miles. not fun.

On some massive humps (walking 40 miles in full battle gear at a fast pace) I would take a tad of rum or something to kill the pain and senses hehe. As long as you stayed hydrated it was a nice little boost hehe.
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #86
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
Ugg I still have nightmares on the runs the 1stSgt would take us on in the mornings if anyone was still hung over or had stayed up drinking all night.

Never forget one day a guy that was still pretty drunk, vomited near the Company Cpt and some splashed on him, pretty much a all out run for the next 20 miles. not fun.

On some massive humps (walking 40 miles in full battle gear at a fast pace) I would take a tad of rum or something to kill the pain and senses hehe. As long as you stayed hydrated it was a nice little boost hehe.
Newguy is going to run 16 on saturday morning. Will update on how I feel later. Ran 12 on thursday 10 on friday and feeling real good.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I'm planning a 12 miler with the trail running club tomorrow. It will be a sad one though. Part way in we'll be stopping where we found the body one of our club members last weekend. I did not know him myself. He went out last friday night and did not come back. He apparently got caught in a freak flood surge at the creek, we could see that the water line had been about 10 feet higher than when we were looking. There was a big storm upsteam earlier in the evening and maybe something dammed it and then released. He was an experienced ultra runner, up to 100 miles, so night running was not an issue, but he picked the wrong night. He was found drowned about 2 miles downstream from the furthest point we figured he'd have run.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #88
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm planning a 12 miler with the trail running club tomorrow. It will be a sad one though. Part way in we'll be stopping where we found the body one of our club members last weekend. I did not know him myself. He went out last friday night and did not come back. He apparently got caught in a freak flood surge at the creek, we could see that the water line had been about 10 feet higher than when we were looking. There was a big storm upsteam earlier in the evening and maybe something dammed it and then released. He was an experienced ultra runner, up to 100 miles, so night running was not an issue, but he picked the wrong night. He was found drowned about 2 miles downstream from the furthest point we figured he'd have run.

Oh man that is a terrible story. Said a prayer for him on my run today.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #89
gone traveling

Todays run, Did 15 miles in 2 hours. Felt like turning my age around today. 51 =15!

It was a nice morning not as hot and humid as it has been.

As I get older I find more miles make me feel better. Having no stress with a job sure makes these miles so much more enjoyable. The 4am 6 mile runs before a 60 mile drive to work were to say not fun was an understatement.

Run gang run!

Lets see off to the pool. Is it too early for a cold beer? 11:45 am??
Old 07-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

It was a nice run this morning. Non-running friends, co-workers and family were very appreciative to see a bit of this part of Rick's life, and to get to see the site where he was found. Two of the club members went out early and set out flowers to guide us there, make an accessible path off the trail, and put flowers and a picture of him at the site, which itself was very peaceful and pretty. Rick was almost always seen running in black, so almost everyone wore black out there.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Did 6 miles Friday 3 miles Saturday and 6 miles yesterday and I thought I was doing good ! Then I look at this forum and see what you guys are doing... I've got a long way to go !
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Did 6 miles Friday 3 miles Saturday and 6 miles yesterday and I thought I was doing good ! Then I look at this forum and see what you guys are doing... I've got a long way to go !
xyz, you are doing great! We all should remember this is not a race to see who is best unless you really have to interject competition into it. Another thought, instead of increasing the mileage consider increasing the pace. Eventually we'll all slow down though so why not try for a relaxed approach to the sport. If I pass someone I'll try to complement them on their pace or whatever. I've even been passed occasionaly by young female runners -- at least I can enjoy the view .

For me I gave up racing a few years ago. Now I try to get in about 20 miles of hilly running a week on dirt trails to avoid stress. Also try to do no more then 2-3 days of running in a row. And I try to mix in one day a week on our Aerodyne (stationary bike) in the winters. Also try to do stretching in the middle of my runs -- usually up at the little lake I run toward. Life is good.

Today I walked our 11yr old dog for 2 miles and he was dragging a little. Too much for him now in the heat and he knows it but his human is slow to figure it out.
Les
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, there's always someone who can run faster than me and/or longer than I can, so I don't worry about what someone else is doing. My goal is to keep it fun so I'll run again the next time, and use an occasional race to motivate me to train at the kind of distances I seem to need to keep my weight down.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the encouragement all. I have been keeping pretty steady doing 6 mile runs when I can get them in (about 3 times a week) with a couple of 3 mile runs when I don't have a lot of time. It was not very long ago when a 3 mile run was difficult. I am taking today off from running but plan to do an extra long run tomorrow.. shooting for 9 miles. The advice so far has been very helpful and keeping me very motivated... so as the topic says How many miles did you run this week ?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #95
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Thanks for the encouragement all. I have been keeping pretty steady doing 6 mile runs when I can get them in (about 3 times a week) with a couple of 3 mile runs when I don't have a lot of time. It was not very long ago when a 3 mile run was difficult. I am taking today off from running but plan to do an extra long run tomorrow.. shooting for 9 miles. The advice so far has been very helpful and keeping me very motivated... so as the topic says How many miles did you run this week ?
Ran in the last 4 weeks the following 65 miles 57 miles 70 miles and last week 64 miles.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

I've read that one should try not to increase the mileage more then about 10% per week. Personally, if I'm increasing my mileage I'll pick a point to plateau at for some weeks. I was on a regional championship HS team way back when and have been running regularly after college for about 35 years now. In HS the cross-country runs were generally not more then 3 miles. Not bragging just presenting my credentials . I've never run more then about 10 miles in one run -- never did a marathon and have no desire to do one. Now my longest is 7 miles in the hills and most runs are just 4 miles.

I've met many people who have said they overdid things at one point and their knees went out (or whatever). Since I really want to continue running I try to keep things in perspective and don't push it too much.

So don't get down on yourself if your mileage doesn't meet someone else's standards! On the other hand, my hat is off to those who do those really long distances and super times.

Les
Running in ER
Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Running in ER

Disclaimer: I haven't read all the posts on this thread.

In my own case, I used to run more (both when I was working and during my first years of ER) than I am now. Reasons:
- For a while, my wife ran with me. She doesn't run any more, so we often walk togher (like for 50 - 60 mins). Given the choice between running and walking, I'd rather run. Given the choice between being solo and being with my wife, I'd rather walk with her.
- I've had achilles tendon problems on and off for the last year or so. When it hurts, I don't run.
- Hiking, snowshoeing and kayaking (dpending on the season) have taken over more of my/our time since moving to Vermont.
- After having been an avid runner since my late 20's (I'm 62 now), I'm finding other outlets for physical activity - the things I mentioned above plus weight lifting, stretching and yoga.
- All of the above said, when my achilles isn't hurting, I do about 3 miles x 3 or 4 days per week. I run the occasional 5K race (for the social or charity aspect, not for the competition). I sometimes get a prize for 2nd or 3rd in my age group (but not very often).

I've loved running over the years and I hope I will never have to give it up, but, as I get older, I think it makes sense to balance running (which I failed to balance in my earlier years) with stretching and weight lifting.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Excellent points JT. I was thinking about balancing my program over the weekend. I would like to keep up the running and probably add in bike / swim / weightlifting to the program. Is anyone else doing a program like this and want to share their schedule ?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

One activity I do in addition to running is using a stationary bike. Usually just do this once per week in poorer weather. Here in California that is not too often. We've had a Schwinn Aerodyne for more then 15 years. I would recommend them as they're built very sturdily built -- never had to adjust or fix it. The best thing is they are calibrated by the fan which pushes against the air so that you can count on the display reading all the time. Also the air circulates on the rider which helps to cool him/her down during the workout. Years ago Cooper wrote a book where he gave equivalent workouts for the Aerodyne compared to running and other exercises.

Les
Old 01-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

41 miles in the last 3 days, including 20 today on the very hilly Blue Ridge Parkway. Had to walk some of the last couple hills but when the uphill goes on relentlessly for 3 miles I don't feel so bad walking the last 1/2 mile of it. I finally feel like I'm going to be ready for the 50K I'm signed up for next month. I'm also running the Bataan Death March Marathon in New Mexico at the end of March. You get to meet many of the still living survivors of the real death march.