Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

So what does Exercise mean to you?
Old 12-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So what does Exercise mean to you?

Exercise I would think means many different things to many different people. I don't belong to a club that has machines and all the fitness stations for my work outs.

My exercise routine would consist of walking about 3 miles a day and working at my ranch doing some physical work but really nothing more. In your opinion would you consider this enough exercise each day? In the spring to fall each year I get a lot more physical labor and do a lot more in the out doors then winter time.

What are your thoughts?
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think each person defines "enough" for themselves, but it sounds like a good routine to me. A balance between aerobic/cardio and anaerobic/strength training is ideal, and it sounds like your routine provides that.

I'm pretty consistent with walking 3-4 miles almost every day, but woefully short on the strength training side. Hate gyms and can always seem to find other things to do at home rather than lift weights or do other strength training activities.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I used to exercise to try to look fit. Now I exercise to live longer.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
+1 On our recent transatlantic we saw people waiting for elevators to take them down one deck.........I'd have to be in an iron lung before I did that.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I think each person defines "enough" for themselves, but it sounds like a good routine to me. A balance between aerobic/cardio and anaerobic/strength training is ideal, and it sounds like your routine provides that.

I'm pretty consistent with walking 3-4 miles almost every day, but woefully short on the strength training side. Hate gyms and can always seem to find other things to do at home rather than lift weights or do other strength training activities.
Yep I just have a hard time going to a gym. I think they are great but not for me. Thanks for your opinion.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Likewise. I started exercising when I was 30. I am now 67. My exercise routine, which I do most days includes about 40 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity (usually elliptical or spinning bike) where I aim to get my average heart rate up to 140 for the whole period. Usually work at about 9 Mets. This will typically burn about 500-600 indicated calories. This is followed by about 30 minutes of stretching and core strength exercises. In addition, I will also try to get in 1-2 training sessions per week for strength. I have equipped most of our homes with gym equipment but also go to “gyms” at some of our places. Don’t mind going to “gyms”. Kind of fun getting out there and seeing how others do it.

I am probably in as good shape now as I was decades ago. Most people wouldn’t be able to be as “vigorous” in their exercise. But obviously anything you can do is worth it. I believe proper exercise is turning out to be the “wonder drug” of our times. For an hour 3-5 times a week your life will be greatly improved.

There is nothing worse than losing your mobility. I’ve seen it in my 92 year old mother. She is doing great, other than the fact she can’t walk.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
What are your thoughts?
One thing you're doing right is that you're moving. My dad still walks 2 miles a day at 86 and I think it has been a very important factor in him keeping his health and mobility.

I'm not expert and I don't do well in exercising by any definition, however, in reading "Younger Next Year" and other articles, I would suggest you try to get some cardio in. In Younger Next Year, the author recommends 45 minutes of cardio every day. His definition was a more elevated heart rate than a typical walk would provide. More like a very brisk walk to a jog.

What exercise means to me? It means that I need to do more than I'm currently doing and one of the things that I hope to incorporate into my life as I retire better than I have up until now. I've done well with my diet but I need to get serious about physical activity/exercise.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Exercise
Old 12-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Exercise

My wife and I ran an eight mile 32 degrees F run this morning at 5:20AM. We both have tennis matches this afternoon, her doubles, me a tough singles match, followed by beer! We will both play again tomorrow, generally play 4 to 7 times a week plus three run days each week. That's all I do but she does some lifting too. We are both 62. I think it's about right for us. We also hike, snow ski and bass fish for recreation.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #9

Have stated workouts five to six days a week. Active every day but try and put rest periods in.

I walk outside or treadmill depending on the weather. Sometime blend in the stationary bike. Usually 3 miles. I don't run anymore as after five years of that I had two knee surgeries.

Off days (around 3 per week) I do weights and core. Lots of free weights and don't try to climb the ladder in terms of amount of weight.

I'm in good shape at 62 but for as many years as I've been doing this the repetition has taken it's toll on my joints and having shoulder issues among other things. I guess that's just getting old.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We actually do the gym 3X weekly. We recently added a short cardio session before going to the weight room.

We started lifting a couple years ago. I like how I feel and the change for DW was amazing. She only lost a few pounds of weight while lifting, but she lost 4 full sizes from it!

Depending on the weather a mile or two walk on our off days. I'm looking forward to snowshoeing some areas we didn't know about last winter. If only mother nature would cooperate. 😁
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

In general I consider a workout to be a minimum of 45 minutes of sustained cardio exertion at a level that makes me break into a medium sweat. If it's done while outside it does not feel like work to me, it feels like pure pleasure, truly. I look forward to it for the lengthy sense of well being it provides, and the positive impact it has on the quality of my sleep.

I try to avoid the gym at all costs because I dislike being indoors so darn much when in motion.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Op - IMO, walking 3 miles a day and ranch work would be enough exercise.

I've taken a month break from exercise to concentrate on some remodeling projects. But I usually walk, hike, run, bike and/or lift weights almost daily. That will start up again soon. I have to concentrate on exercising within my limits. Otherwise the weekly or twice weekly chiropractor visits will start up again.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

What you describe was enough when I was in my 20's and early 30's, but the amount and type of exercises I need to stay limber and strong has steadily risen with age.
First I added weight training.
Then yoga.
Butt starting to droop? Add some squats. Triceps getting saggy? Add triangle push-ups. Waistline getting soft? Planks. And on and on it goes.

It's now at the point where I have a part-time job called Exercise, and cannot bring myself to add any more lest I end up with no time for anything else.

Quote:

My exercise routine would consist of walking about 3 miles a day and working at my ranch doing some physical work but really nothing more. In your opinion would you consider this enough exercise each day? In the spring to fall each year I get a lot more physical labor and do a lot more in the out doors then winter time.

What are your thoughts?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveark View Post
My wife and I ran an eight mile 32 degrees F run this morning at 5:20AM. We both have tennis matches this afternoon, her doubles, me a tough singles match, followed by beer!
I like the beer part.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep I just have a hard time going to a gym. I think they are great but not for me. Thanks for your opinion.
I resisted gyms for 68 years. Just have done running for most of that time. So a decent aerobic exercise is a good idea I think.

But then last year I joined a gym. It has a lot of older folks which makes it a bit more friendly from what I understand. DW likes it for the dancing which has a high degree of aerobics. Some people like Zumba (or whatever dance workout) for the music, socializing a bit, and real workout.

For me, the gym equipment has helped me to tone the muscles and avoid minor injuries in my around-the-house activities. Plus my back has been strengthened or rather maybe the muscles that support certain back movements. I do not go for major machine weight gains, just mild exercise.

Also I need to get out a bit and see people so the gym helped in that regard. Running on trails in the park is then a complementary exercise.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was never an athlete in school so I relied on my youth and having jobs with some degree of physical labor to keep in shape. That all changed when I switched careers and took a desk job which also included 100 minutes of daily commuting. Because of that, I started exercising at home, mostly to maintain my weight. I've done everything from P90x to running marathons.
Now, as I near the end of my working life, exercise still means weight maintenance, but it also means strength and flexibility training too. For instance, can I climb (and go back down) those narrow stairs so I can see the view from the top of Notre Dame? Can I walk on those cobble stone streets without fearing that I will fall?

If you don't have any nagging issues with back trouble (bending over?), or other strength or flexibility issues and your weight is pretty constant then I'd say that your current level of physical activity is good. Can you climb up 2 or 3 flights of stairs without getting winded? Pick up the dog/grandkid pain free? I tend to look at these kinds of everyday tasks to help guide my workouts. Other things to consider would be your family history for heart disease and diabetes. If you have some genetic skeletons in your closet you may want to do more research on ways exercise could help you reduce your risks in those areas.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #17

I prefer outdoor exercise so the activities change with the season. In no particular order: biking, hiking, whitewater kayaking, walking, cross country skiing. I stopped running a couple of years ago, but then about a month ago I felt like running again so started the Couch to 5K program to ease back into it.

I also do yoga. I’m not very flexible compared to most women but I’m better with yoga than without. During winter months I can’t always do what I want outside so I add so gym days for strength training or spin class. Then I just randomly do other things. For example, today should be a running day but yesterday’s snow has left the roads too slippery. I don’t feel like going out in the weekend traffic to get to the gym so I’ll do a HIIT workout in the basement.

Then there’s the daily activities that sorta count as exercise. Last night I went out after dark for a walk to enjoy the snow and the neighborhood Christmas decorations. After half a mile I reached a point where I could either continue my walk or head home. I chose to go home and shovel the driveway. It was another 30 minutes of activity that I won’t include on my exercise log.

I typically exercise 5-7 days per week. I relatively fit but not super thin or sculpted because I like to eat.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I believe that there are 3 important factors to fitness and health: cardio, strength training, and diet.

I eat healthy, do cardio 3 times a week, and strength train 3 times a week. I'm not a big fan of cardio but know it's important, but I do enjoy strength training and am far more "advanced" with my lifting than with cardio. I like being strong and see no downsides to it.

I'm convinced that my muscle mass has helped prevent back pain and other similar issues, and has helped prevent injury. Often, I'm the only guy in my bands that can carry the heavy PA speakers up and down stairs. I do this with relative ease while others carry them in pairs or leave them for me to move.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #19

Another "hater" here (but if it works for you, good beans).

Hate gyms; been there - done that.
Hate hamster wheels (treadmills, ellipticals, etc); been down that road as well.
But I do love my daily brisk walks of 4-5 miles; and tolerate my (3X/week) jailhouse workouts of push ups and crunches.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I'm definitely a drinker with a tennising problem.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote