So, which Flu Vaccine for 2020-2021?

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's time for the flu shot dance, again :)

Others may have covered, but I didn't see a single specific thread.

Have read various education material including CDC - in summary from the CDC site, here is what would be in the vaccines:
- Egg-based trivalent (three-component) contain - A/Guangdong-Maonan/SWL1536/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus (updated), A/Hong Kong/2671/2019 (H3N2)-like virus (updated), B/Washington/02/2019 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus (updated)
- Egg-based quadrivalent contain - the above plus B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (Yamagata lineage) virus
- Cell, or recombinant-based contain - A/Hawaii/70/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus (updated), A/Hong Kong/45/2019 (H3N2)-like virus (updated), B/Washington/02/2019 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus (updated), B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (Yamagata lineage) virus
- Two new vaccines - a quadrivalent high-dose vaccine for 65 and older (REPLACES the previous trivalent high-dose), and a quadrivalent ADJUVANTED vaccine for 65 and older (similar to the previously licensed trivalent vaccine)

And, the OPTIONS include:
- Standard dose
- High-dose for 65 years and older
- With adjuvant for 65 years and older
- Non-egg-based cell culture grown
- Non-egg-based recombinant developed
- Live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV) via nasal spray

Finally, from CDC site: "For the 2020-2021 flu season, providers may choose to administer any licensed, age-appropriate flu vaccine (IIV, RIV4, or LAIV4) with no preference for any one vaccine over another."

So, for some of us on this forum, age-appropriate is over 65. And, then, the question: given availability of all and not having an egg reaction, which to get (ie not which to allow a "provider(s)" to "choose to administer."

My sense is that it seems reasonable to EITHER get a:
- quadrivalent vaccine in high dose, or
- quadrivalent vaccine with adjuvant

Since they seem to generally do the same thing, which one?

Note - I may have erred on summarizing so please refer to CDC site!

Only one high dose vaccine is offered in my area. I will take what is available.

I get whatever my insurance covers and is available at the pharmacy or Dr s office

I was counseled with the following advice for this year:

Over 50: Flublok
Over 65: Fluzone high dose

...from a friend in the pharma industry FWIW.

I believe we have two choices here - take it, or don't.

When I first turned 65 (4 years ago) I got the high dose flu shot. It made me pretty sick--102 fever, in bed a few days. My doctor advised me not to take the high dose in the future. In fact my doctor's office discontinued giving the high dose because there were so many people with side effects. So now I take the regular dose. On the other hand, my DH takes the high dose with no problem. My mother is allergic to eggs so she has to take the kind not made with eggs.

Last edited:
Huh! I did not even know there were different ones each year! Are they out yet for the 2020-2021 season. I haven't taken them much in the past (when I was under 65) but now I am over 65 and I want to do it this year.

I got the high dose after I turned 65 and had no reaction. I've never had a reaction to the regular dose wither. So I will continue getting the high dose if it is available.

I'm watching Kaiser's website to see when the flu clinics will start. It says they will have both walk-up and drive up clinics. I'll go for the drive up to avoid standing in a line.

Just had the high dose quad a week ago. First time for me; I've always just had the regular dose until now. No reaction, as usual. I normally wait until September, but decided to get it out of the way a bit early this year.

We walked up to the CVS counter to pick up some refills, & both got shots then. For me, regular dose, for DH high dose. I don't know any details about either version. CVS knows what Aetna will pay for since they own CVS, so we got that. Minor reactions from both of us (both sore arm, feeling a bit run down for me).

I did not know you can choose a flu vaccine. I went to the clinic and got a flu vaccine shot every year.

Whatever Afluria Quad 2020-21 (3YR UP) 0.5 ml is - that's what I got last week.

I didn't know there were so many choices.... Anyway, I've been taking the over 65 HD for the past few years and before that the regular dose for ~20 years.... Which version(s)? Heck if I know... I wouldn't know the difference if they told me... Could be distilled water for all I know. Some things I just take on faith. No reactions and no flu since I've been taking the shots... YMMV.

Last edited:
I go to my local pharmacy and take what they give me. Did it last week. They said it was "high dose" whatever that means. It's done now!

This thread reminded me to get my flu shot, so today while I was in Walmart I got it. No HD available but the pharmacist said the regular dose was ~40% stronger than last years and was approved for use no matter if you were over or under 65...:confused: Maybe it was okay since that's all they had. :) Anyway, done now... One page form, zero cost (Medicare) and I was in and out of there in ~10 mins.

If I quit posting here in a day or so, you might assume I had a bad reaction to the shot... If I never post again, well........

Last edited:
I just looked up my vaccine. This year it is:

Fluzone HD Quad 2020-21 PFS Senior

Make of that what you will. I already feel energized with the ramped up immune system of a 50 year old on Geritol.

Only one high dose vaccine is offered in my area. I will take what is available.

Yeah! Maybe I'm not informed enough, but I go in and say "flu shot" and they say "roll up your sleeve".

No talk of valents and phukets or whatever. They do mention egg allergy though.

We got the adjuvated quadvalent variety at Costco today. No reaction at all so far but maybe that's will come later.

I walked into Rite Aid today and asked for a flu shot. My receipt says: "FLUARIX QUAD 2020-2021 SYRINGE" Not sure what that means, but it sounds like a normal flu shot and was free.

My receipt says: "FLUARIX QUAD 2020-2021 SYRINGE" Not sure what that means, but it sounds like a normal flu shot and was free.

Ours cost $46.68 but the cost was covered by our insurance.

You should see "HD" on your receipt if it's the high dose (over 65) version.

We got ours last week at a local Publix with 2 x $10 gift cards for our trouble. :dance:

- High-dose for 65 years and older for me
- Standard Dose for DW.

I'll be getting whatever Kaiser hits me with in the "drive through" flu clinic they run in the parking lot.

Back
Top Bottom