Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security/Medicare rip off
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Social Security/Medicare rip off

I am in the process of applying for SS and Medicare. Just got off the phone with them after completing the online application. The issue: SS checks are with held one month so you are delayed getting the check. However Medicare has to be paid one month in advance. So the first check you receive which is delayed one month after the SS start date will have two months of Medicare payments removed. So what you get is delayed a month, what you have to pay has to be paid a month in advance.

My congressman is getting a letter, what a rip off.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Not only do you get paid for each month in the following month but the payment received in the month of your death (for the month you were alive) goes back to the SS admin. Since payment by check is on the way out, the little reminder about the payment for the last month of a recipients life will fade away.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think this is worth getting upset about.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I am in the process of applying for SS and Medicare. Just got off the phone with them after completing the online application. The issue: SS checks are with held one month so you are delayed getting the check. However Medicare has to be paid one month in advance. So the first check you receive which is delayed one month after the SS start date will have two months of Medicare payments removed. So what you get is delayed a month, what you have to pay has to be paid a month in advance.

My congressman is getting a letter, what a rip off.
Look on the bright side. You are getting paid. For the rest of your life. Minor glitch up front.

When getting new empl*yment, you never get paid for what you are about to do, get paid after doing what you were hired to do.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I would agree.

I'm age 63 but do not intend to claim SS till age 70 (for the primary reason of benefits for DW, after I pass).

I need to file for Medicare on Oct 1, 2012, to start Medicare on the date of 01/01/2013 due to my birthdate, which is in January. Medicare starts the first of the month that you turn 65, regardless of the date of the month. I will be billed (quarterly) for Part B preimums (rather than take them from my SS) untill I claim SS.

SS requires you (unless born on the 1st or 2nd of month) to have a one-month "waiting period" before you are paid your benefit. It's no different than wor*ing for a full month before getting a monthly paycheck (as I did, for many years). You have to "earn it" before you get paid.

This info is readily available for anybody who is concerned about their future benefits. Nobody is hiding anything...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Just another cut to add to death by a thousand cuts.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
...My congressman is getting a letter, what a rip off.
I'll be so happy to be covered by Medicare and SS that I won't care if it's six months getting here.

I'm sure your congressman will get right on that.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Make a protest sign. Whine. Get emotional in front of a reporter. It's somewhat popular these days.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I applied for the retirement benefit in October to commence the following January. They did not have the courtesy to advise as to the amount of that benefit until January.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'll be so happy to be covered by Medicare and SS that I won't care if it's six months getting here.

I'm sure your congressman will get right on that.
You may not be so pleased if you find out that some of your doctors will not accept medicare patients.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
I applied for the retirement benefit in October to commence the following January. They did not have the courtesy to advise as to the amount of that benefit until January.
That's when the annual SS benefit statement is sent out, along with any increases due to COLA adjustments.

Often this information is not available till late in the year, and the proper program changes are made.

Until you receive this statement of benefits, any "guesstimate" is just that.

Yes, been there - done that.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

This is an outrage. I'd move to Somalia.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=justplainbll;1120108]Not only do you get paid for each month in the following month but the payment received in the month of your death (for the month you were alive) goes back to the SS admin.QUOTE]

Beat SS at their own game. Don't die.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
You may not be so pleased if you find out that some of your doctors will not accept medicare patients.
So is it better if Medicare is not there for me?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So is it better if Medicare is not there for me?
People taking a reduced salary to work for entities offering medical insurance benefits which continued into retirement got gypped when they were roped into medicare.

Perhaps the outrageous rise in medical costs and higher education costs is somewhat attributable to government programs?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I'll just remember to apply for SS a month earlier than the date when I want it. No problem. I sort of assumed it would be paid at the end of the month anyway. Guess I'm a pessimist.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I agree.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At least the OP gets a benefit.

For those of us a bit younger what the OP got is more than we'll ever see.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'll just remember to apply for SS a month earlier than the date when I want it. No problem. I sort of assumed it would be paid at the end of the month anyway.
I receive mine on about the 23rd of the month following the month for which the benefit is being paid.
As I used to hear in the military, guess it's 'close enough for government work'.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
Administrator

Absolutely shocking news.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote