Join Early Retirement Today

Some data on MA vs Medicare enrollment
Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #1
Administrator

Some data on MA vs Medicare enrollment

This is an interesting short analysis by KFF of the breakdown of traditional Medicare vs Medicare Advantage for new enrollments. Just under 1/3 choose MA when first eligible, but it varies widely across the country. Lots of data, broken down by demographic. https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-b..._hsmi=73475680
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting, it’s interesting. The article focuses on Medicare Advantage as advertised in the title but I didn’t see any reference to Medigap/supplements. I wonder if those were just left out or are considered part of Traditional Medicare?

My still-incomplete understanding of the system is that a major choice on turning 65 is Advantage vs Supplement.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Thanks for posting, it’s interesting. The article focuses on Medicare Advantage as advertised in the title but I didn’t see any reference to Medigap/supplements. I wonder if those were just left out or are considered part of Traditional Medicare?

My still-incomplete understanding of the system is that a major choice on turning 65 is Advantage vs Supplement.
Here’s some KFF data on MediGap https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-b...across-states/

Quote:
One in four people in traditional Medicare (25 percent) had private, supplemental health insurance in 2015—also known as Medigap—to help cover their Medicare deductibles and cost-sharing requirements, as well as protect themselves against catastrophic expenses for Medicare-covered services.
So, that means 29% choose Medicare Advantage, 18% choose traditional Medicare with MediGap, 24% have traditional Medicare with employer paid MediGap, 13% have traditional Medicare with Medicaid, and 16% have only Medicare A and B.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I personally see the numbers starting to switch towards MA with a not so subtle push from the government. I believe the powers that be have decided MA is the wave of the future.By that I mean the government and the insurance companies want to write MA policies.

The 24% with employer paid, I would be surprised if everyone has Medigap, I bet more then a few have a MA plan.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here’s some KFF data on MediGap https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-b...across-states/

So, that means 29% choose Medicare Advantage, 18% choose traditional Medicare with MediGap, 24% have traditional Medicare with employer paid MediGap, 13% have traditional Medicare with Medicaid, and 16% have only Medicare A and B.

Thanks again!

And, for my Daily Double, I’ve just signed up for some KFF email offerings.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The 24% with employer paid, I would be surprised if everyone has Medigap, I bet more then a few have a MA plan.

That will be the case for me when the time comes (assuming no changes from employer’s current setup, a big assumption).

Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The analysis states the 24% is just Medicare Supplemental plans. No doubt some of the 29% of Medicare Advantage is also employer paid, but it’s not broken out.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone have a good source comparing average Medigap pricing by state?

I ask this because for fun (I am a few years away) I compared prices in NY (where I currently reside) and TN (one of many states I cam considering post retirement) and the prices were dramatically different. What I am trying to better understand is how much of that is due to NY's community rated pricing vs how much is just due to a higher COL location.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Not to derail the thread, but does anyone have a good source comparing average Medigap pricing by state?
I'm not aware of anywhere to get state-by-state comparisons, but this site will let you get a quick quote of Medicap costs by individual zip code and age. https://www.bestmedicaresupplement.com/
Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm not aware of anywhere to get state-by-state comparisons, but this site will let you get a quick quote of Medicap costs by individual zip code and age. https://www.bestmedicaresupplement.com/
Thank you. I just did a search using my zip and a random knoxville TN zip....about $100 less per month for the typical plan F in TN.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #11

Found this interesting chart at the howmuch.net site:
https://howmuch.net/articles/medigap-plan-costs

Chart: