Join Early Retirement Today

Sometime life just sucks!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometime life just sucks!

Got sh***y news today. Apparently DW has a very rare form of aggressive cancer, that so far I have been told, the doctors don't know what causes it, don't know how to cure it, and because it's multiple microscopic tumors in the abdomen, they can't even operate on it and get it all. She worked hard taking care of me, her parents, my parents, our daughter, and now when she really looked forward to playing with the grandkids, this happens.
For a big strapping guy, it's really hard to hide the tears, to keep a positive face for her. I know she's looking for me to lie to her and tell her that everything will be alright and say it as though I really believe it, but, it's difficult. I've looked at the support groups and the information on the web, but it is apparently so rare, that there is just not much there - and what is, is not good news. Not looking for sympathy, just maybe the next good trade you make, send part of it to the Cancer Foundation. Maybe it will help with Karma!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to read your post. Saying a little prayer for your wife and you tonight and that doctors will find good treatment options for her.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh, so sorry for you and your family. But please don't give up hope; miracles do happen...options do change. Continue to press her doctors for the best treatment options available; she's going to need you to be her advocate more now than any time in your marriage, and together you're going to fight for her life.

I'm praying for her tonight -- and for you -- hoping to send you the strength you will need for this battle. God bless.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Make a call to Cancer Treatment Centers of America, I don't know their 800 number, but I know about them because my business partner's wife is going there...........

Best wishes......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
Got sh***y news today. Apparently DW has a very rare form of aggressive cancer, that so far I have been told, the doctors don't know what causes it, don't know how to cure it, and because it's multiple microscopic tumors in the abdomen, they can't even operate on it and get it all. She worked hard taking care of me, her parents, my parents, our daughter, and now when she really looked forward to playing with the grandkids, this happens.
For a big strapping guy, it's really hard to hide the tears, to keep a positive face for her. I know she's looking for me to lie to her and tell her that everything will be alright and say it as though I really believe it, but, it's difficult. I've looked at the support groups and the information on the web, but it is apparently so rare, that there is just not much there - and what is, is not good news. Not looking for sympathy, just maybe the next good trade you make, send part of it to the Cancer Foundation. Maybe it will help with Karma!
I don't know where you live, but I would hightail it to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota. Miracles occur daily there.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Good luck to you and your wife Whitestick. I am sorry to hear about this.

Ha
Old 09-23-2008, 02:36 AM   #7

Whitestick - I'm terribly sorry to hear of this news. I wish you and your wife the best. DW and I and will keep you two in our thoughts and prayers.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Whitestick,

I am sorry to hear the bad news. I know it is a difficult situation. I wish the best for you, your DW, and family.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I don't know where you live, but I would hightail it to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota. Miracles occur daily there.........
Whitestick, I second FinanceDude's suggestion about the Mayo Clinic. They helped my aunt when no one else could.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:46 AM   #10

whitestick, I hope you can find the care she needs. You will need to be strong but you might consider seeking counseling either individually or as a couple.. don't feel like you have to go it alone, even if you are a 'big, strapping guy'. My thoughts are with you and your wife.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Our thoughts also
Old 09-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Our thoughts also

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, too.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Whitestick, I know you live in Texas. MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston would be the first place I'd think of were I in your situation.

All the best to your DW, you and all your family.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yes, as others have said, I would quickly check out one of the major cancer centers. You do hear of hopeless cases that have been turned around. I wouldn't give up. I wish nothing but the best for you two.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Terrible news at any time of life, but particularly poignant just before you both enter what you hoped would be a joyous and free retirement.

Still, I've yet to see any type of cancer where there aren't at least some great treatment results or spontaneous remissions or stabilization.

Best wishes to you and family.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Whitestick, I'm so sorry for you & your wife . Miracles do sometimes happen & I hope your wife is one of those cases .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Whitestick, I am so sorry. We have a friend that continues to defy the odds with colon cancer due to the extraordinary efforts of MD Anderson in Texas.
You are in our prayers.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Whitestick,
Thanks for letting us know about your situation. We'll be pulling for you, your wife, and your family. The body is full of amazing and complicated interconnected systems from the molecular to the "whole individual person" level. We understand some of this and are learning more every day. Just as there are cases where these systems let us down and cause illness, there are many cases in which the systems start to work in unexpectedly favorable ways to overcome these diseases.

All the best.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My mom, and her doctors, beat back incurable cancer for eight years.

Take care of her, and take care of yourself. Best of luck in these difficult times.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #19

Whitestick, I am so sorry to hear this news. I will include you and your wife in my prayers.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #20

Whitestick,
I'm so sorry about your wife but hope you can find a good treatment for her.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote