Sore Feet in the Morning.........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just wondering if Rich or someone could comment.

It has been going on for a couple months. I wake up with the bottom of my feet hurting.

Once I get up and around and moving, it feels fine. Next morning, same thing.

Thoughts? It happens whether I did physical activity or not............

Uh oh. You know what sore feet are the first sign of don't you? Yep, after being a PITA for all these years, age is lowering your center of gravity. ;)

Ha-ha.........any good advice?

BTW, these feet in question are size 12..........

You know what they say about guys with big feet: they have to wear big shoes...

Is it from running the day before? I know mine sometimes fuss with me when I get up. Eh never mind helps if I read what you posted closer. Must just be you getting older :p

Last edited:
Talk about sparse details... try plantar fasciitis if it's just the first few steps of the day in a runner.

How old are your running shoes?

I haven't been running for quite some time. I had plantar fascitis before, and this pain is different, mostly in the heel. Maybe old running injuries flaring up.

I have an old pair of cross trainers I've been wearing......maybe they need to get the ax...........

I'll agree with Rich in Tampa. Details are sketchy, but it might be plantar fasciitis. And, it usually shows up in the morning as soon as you hit the floor. There are some remedies for this condition and apparently it eventually goes away (or so I hope).

I'll agree with Rich in Tampa. Details are sketchy, but it might be plantar fasciitis. And, it usually shows up in the morning as soon as you hit the floor. There are some remedies for this condition and apparently it eventually goes away (or so I hope).

I'm going to try stretching my Achilles tendon every morning before I get out of bed.

That, and DW has a wood foot roller I'm going to use............:)

Still on the PF train, apologies since you said you didn't think it was PF, but maybe this will make some sense whether or not it's PF.

If it is PF, there's a splint or special sock that you can wear at night to keep it stretched. But I hear it's not too comfortable. It may be that in winter, if you have a heavy blanket on your foot, your toes are pointing down more and shortening the plantar fascia. Maybe it's just as simple as wearing warm socks to bed and taking some of the blanket weight off your feet. I have an extra blanket that's real heavy that I sometimes use in winter and I noticed it was really pulling my toes down, uncomfortably so.

Or you could try stretching it some during the day, or wearing heal cups in your shoes. If it's better during the day maybe it won't tighten up so much at night.

The heel is exactly where PF strikes.

Okay.............then my podiatrist is a quack. When I had what I thought was plantar facitis a number of years ago, the bottom of my foot from heel to metarsal throbbed after a run.

I had PF but it was smack dab in the middle of my food in the meaty part. Dr's diagnoses was perfect. I was using cheap running shoes. I got shoes that had very little flex in them along with inserts and it helped right away. After having foot pain like that I dont ever plan on skimping on shoes again.

Talk about sparse details... try plantar fasciitis if it's just the first few steps of the day in a runner.

Yes, that's what happened to me about 48 years old. I'm not a runner, the knee doc specifically told me not to do that. Just some of those squishy pad things in the heels of my shoes took care of it. Any shoe store sells them, about $8.

If that doesn't work see a doc.

I had sore feet and was sure there was something serious going on. My doctor said my shoes were not giving my feet proper arch support. My frequent wearing of flip flops sure didn't help either. Better footwear and some shoe inserts for my other shoes helped a lot.

I developed PF last May and I can tell you first hand that it hurts like hell.
Did 3 months of therapy and not much luck. Finally bought Dr. Scholls PF wedge for the shoes and got some relief.

Reading on the internet I found that it lasts 3 months to a year. Feeling better now but still get pain if not using the correct shoes and the wedge.

Not fun!

FD, if you had PF like I have there's no chance that you went out for a run and then got the pain. You wouldn't be doing any walking no less running.:D

FD, do some gentle stretches before you get out of bed. I like to sit with my legs stretched out on the bed in front of me, point my toes towards my nose, hold for a few seconds, then relax and repeat.

This sounds like the very earliest stages of PF and like the OP said, you do not want to mess with PF!!! It can be ghastly. Wear good, supportive shoes (I like Birkenstocks, New Balance, or SAS shoes) and get into the habit of stretching gently like I described before getting out of bed.

73ss454, my sympathies!! That is the most painful, frustrating, discouraging condition I have ever had.

Last edited:
When I get up I hobble around for a minute or so and then my feet feel better. It isn't PF more like arthritis but the last time I checked on that the reports came back negative. I do have pronation problems and high arches that cause my feet to easily get sore walking - a pair of custom orthotics helps but doesn't fully alleviate the problem. Maybe your feet just suck like mine. If I recall correctly, you are about 45 or so, right? Thats when I started getting the foot problems. Eyes started going there abouts also. And hearing. ;)

Maybe you might need some calcium and vitamin D.

You might have thinning bones in your feet?

spacer.gif
Excerpts from a sound patient handout (my edits as noted). For general interest, not medical advice for anyone, especially FD whose bill is already in the mail:

Patient information: Heel pain due to plantar fasciitis
Robert P Sheon, MD
DEFINITION — Plantar fasciitis is caused by strain of the ligaments of the foot in an area called the plantar fascia ... This is a thick, pearly white tissue with long fibers that attach to the skin ...

Jumping or prolonged standing often causes strain on the plantar fascia, although plantar fasciitis can occur in other situations as well. The outcome for people with plantar fasciitis is generally good, with approximately 80 percent of people having no pain within one year.

SYMPTOMS — The major symptom of plantar fasciitis is pain beneath the heel and on the sole of the foot. The pain is often worst when stepping onto the foot, particularly when first getting out of bed or getting up after being seated for some time.

RISK FACTORS —...
Factors that increase the risk include:
  • Long-distance running, especially during intensive training
  • Poorly fitted shoes
  • Obesity
  • Standing for long periods of time
  • Dancing, especially ballet and aerobic dance
  • Repeated squatting or standing on the toes
  • Use of a trampoline
TREATMENT
Conservative treatment — Plantar fasciitis is usually treated conservatively. Conservative treatment is not guaranteed to eliminate plantar fasciitis in all cases, although it usually helps to decrease pain.
Patients who are overweight or have flat feet may decide to be treated for these conditions first. Treatment may also include the following:
Rest — Limiting athletic activities and getting extra rest for up to two weeks can help the inflammation to subside. Excessive heel impact from jumping, walking, and use of a trampoline should be avoided. A complete lack of physical activity, though, can lead to stiffening and recurrence of pain.
Icing — applying ice to the area for 20 minutes up to four times daily can relieve Pain. Ice and massage may also be used prior to exercise.
Exercise — Exercise is an important part of therapy. ...
Ibuprofen — A clinician may recommend a two to three week course of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce swelling and relieve pain. ...

Protective footwear — Athletic shoes, arch supporting shoes (particularly those with an extra-long counter, which is the firm part of the shoe that surrounds the heel), or shoes with rigid shanks (usually a metal insert into the sole of the shoe) are helpful. Cushion-soled shoes with gel pad inserts or heel cups can provide temporary pain relief. Appropriate shoes and accessories can be found in stores featuring work shoes or "orthopedic shoes."

Splints can be worn overnight to position the foot and heel provide pain relief and a gentle stretch. These splints can usually be purchased in pharmacies that carry orthopedic supplies.
Other modes of treatment — If these noninvasive measures fail to improve the pain within two to three weeks, a healthcare provider may recommend one of the following treatments:

Steroid (cortisone) injection — An injection of a steroid medication may be given into the affected tissue. Many clinicians limit the number of times they will give this type of injection because repeated injections may weaken the tissues of the sole of the foot. In addition, each injection carries a small risk of causing infection ...

Casting — Another option is a short walking cast, which begins at the calf and covers the ankle and foot up to the toes.

Shock wave therapy — Some clinicians recommend shock wave therapy (a form of ultrasound), which provides a burst of energy to the sole of the foot. The treatment is initially painful, and has not been proven to be more effective than sham treatment (treatment with a very low, non-therapeutic dose of ultrasound).

Update:

I saw my GP yesterday. She also said plantar facitis. Rich, feel free to send me a bill. Do you take United Healthcare insurance??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom