Specific ? on Healthcare changes in 2014

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm starting a new thread for this question , as politics are not involved. ( or at least I don't think so)

Am I reading the Healthcare Reform Summery correct , as to rates and underwriting, only being dependent on age, gender an tobaco use ? And pre-existing conditions irevelvent ?

Thank's in advance.

Am I reading the Healthcare Reform Summery correct , as to rates and underwriting, only being dependent on age, gender an tobaco use ? And pre-existing conditions irevelvent ?
Here's what I found (from this link):

Premium Rating Rules: Until enactment of the new law, insurers could incorporate information on many factors when determining premium rates—health status, age, gender, geography, tobacco use, industry/occupation, and family size, among others. The new law, however, limits rating factors to age, tobacco, family size, and geography. The age rating factor cannot vary by more than 3:1, which means that an older individual cannot be charged premiums more than three times the premiums for a younger individual. The tobacco rating factor cannot vary by more than 1.5:1, which means that a smoker would not pay more than 1.5 times what a non-smoker would pay.
I wouldn't think it prudent to make any irrevocable decisions based on what we think might happen in 2014 regarding health insurance. That's a LONG way away in political terms.

I'm starting a new thread for this question , as politics are not involved. ( or at least I don't think so)

Thank's in advance.

From HealthCare.gov (official site)
healthcare.gov/law/timeline/index.html
(go to the last but one item in 2014 timeline)
"No Discrimination Due to Pre-Existing Conditions or Gender

Effective January 1, 2014
The law implements strong reforms that prohibit insurance companies from refusing to sell coverage or renew policies because of an individual’s pre-existing conditions. Also, in the individual and small group market, it eliminates the ability of insurance companies to charge higher rates due to gender or health status."

Back
Top Bottom