SS and Medicare

Brdofpray

Recycles dryer sheets
Ive been told there are no dumb questions, so here goes. I am having my medicare deducted from my monthly Social Security check. Is this deduction before, or after federal tax is calculated?

I figure somebody here will know. SS.Gov is fairly convoluted.

I'll add another dumb :)) question to your OP. Is medicare automatically taken out of SS or do you get to choose?

Before tax, and you do get to choose.

I'll add another dumb :)) question to your OP. Is medicare automatically taken out of SS or do you get to choose?

No choice per AARP: https://www.aarp.org/retirement/social-security/questions-answers/medicare-premiums-deducted-ss/

...if you are signed up for both Social Security and Medicare Part B — the portion of Medicare that provides standard health insurance — the Social Security Administration will automatically deduct the premium from your monthly benefit.

Medicare Part A, which covers hospitalization, is free for anyone who is eligible for Social Security, even if they have not claimed benefits yet.

If you are getting Medicare Part C (additional health coverage through a private insurer) or Part D (prescriptions), you have the option to have the premium deducted from your Social Security benefit or to pay the plan provider directly. If you want the deduction, you will have to contact your part C or D provider to arrange it.

This is what the SS office told us when we took SS at FRA after paying monthly for medicare.

My husband is paying IRMAA for Part D even though he did not sign up for Part D. He was told by Medicare that he has to pay the IRMAA Part D rather he sign up for it or not. It is straightly base on our total report income.

I'm paying a large IRMAA. My Part B payment is $533 a month. I'm in Tier 5. It doesn't seem right as the chart says I should be paying my premium pus $74. I guess I need to call them and see if I can get it adjusted.

I guess I got that wrong!

The payment policy might have.changed fairly recently—when I applied for SS at FRA two years ago and asked about billing, he said so many people just wouldn’t pay the medicare invoice if it wasn’t withheld. So there might be history that prompted the mandatory withholding. (When DH applied in 2015 he might have had a choice.)

I could see that being a problem, plus the costs and headaches of invoicing and receiving individual medicare payments for millions of people on SS are now avoided.

Last edited:
The payment policy might have.changed fairly recently—when I applied for SS at FRA two years ago and asked about billing, he said so many people just wouldn’t pay the medicare invoice if it wasn’t withheld. So there might be history that prompted the mandatory withholding. (When DH applied in 2015 he might have had a choice.)

I could see that being a problem, plus the costs and headaches of invoicing and receiving individual medicare payments for millions of people on SS are now avoided.

Yes, I’m sure that would be a big problem!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom