Staying Healthy

Islandtraveler

Recycles dryer sheets

OK, we all know that none of us are getting out alive. That being said, I think that we all want to spend as much quality time enjoying the fruits of our labor and do the things that we want to do for as long as we can.
Unfortunately, along with age come increased chances of health problems. I am curious what others are doing to preserve the gift of good health that you may enjoy. Here are some of the things that I do to try and maintain my health. (I am a bit out there)
Exercise – 6 day per week. 35 min hard treadmill walk 15% 2 miles – strength training on Total Gym
Eat – homemade muesli made with raw oats daily with fresh fruit, teaspoon of cinnamon with almond milk . Green smoothie for lunch.
Drink – green tea daily
Vitamins - Alive vitamins w/o iron 3x per day. Zinc, Vit c, d & e. 500 mg niacin 3x per day. Fish oil & ¼ aspirin daily.
Inhale 5 sprays food grade 5% h2o2 daily and rinse mouth with it. (haven’t had a cold or flu in 5 years)
Eat quite a bit of fresh fruits and vegetables. Try to buy organic whenever possible. I grow my own broccoli sprouts. I do not drink soda, only filtered water.
Grind 1/3 cup organic flax and whole psyllium daily. (keeps the pluming humming!)
I must confess, I don’t always eat great for dinner. Love BBQs and my martinis!
So far, so good. I am 53 and feel great. Could be psychological but I don’t care. The doctor said my “numbers” are great and to keep doing what I’m doing. Any other “nut cases”:crazy: out there that have anything they do to keep it together?

Keep your BMI below 25, slow down on martinis. Avoid smoking. Get your annual physical with lab work.

I was overweight most of my life - 30-50 pounds too much at different times. I made some changes at age 47, 13 years ago. Started walking and eating better, and that became running until I became an addicted runner.
Fast forward to today and I'm running, swimming, some weight lifting and my weight is where I like it (5'10, 178 -180 pounds). I have some combined 40 Half-Marathons and Marathons under my belt, and am thinking of doing a sprint triathlon later this year.
But, can't fight genetics and age. I have some serious chronic back pain now, due to arthritis, that I just stoically live with.

Mine...

Exercise – I shoot for something everyday. Sometimes it is just a one mile walk when traveling. Aim for weights 2-3 times per week. Run or bike outside when weather is good.

Eat - Try to stay low calorie (currently 1750 / day) while getting enough protein, vitamins and minerals from food. Finally reducing mammal protein (tough, I really love steaks, bacon, etc.); lots of skim milk. More fruits and vegetables than average American.

Drink - Lots of tea (daily), coffee, water, skim milk daily. Beer or wine almost every day. Very little soda; but, will have a Coke when I get a crave. Occasional orange juice.

Supplements - Omega 3 is the only thing I currently take. Would like to phase that out replacing with food (fish, flax seed, etc.).

So far (mid 40's): No real health issues; BMI under 23; all numbers from extensive physical good.

To do: Reduce stress (retire, meditate, etc.); add fiber to diet; reduce daily calories further; add more fish to diet; vary exercise program more. All will be slow, incremental changes since I find that is what seems to work best for me.

Currently:

Exercise= treadmill twice per day 4-5 miles total, outdoor walks totaling 2-3, gym time about 1 hour on 8-10 different machines, beach and pool swims.

Eat= Mostly fish, turkey, eggs, etc., very low carb (oat bran or spinach) under 10 grams, and no sugar at all.

Drink= Diet ginger ale, water and Margaritas.

Supplements= 2 one-a-day Vits, Magnesium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, psyllium, Tums, B, D, E, and fish oil.

Best move so far= took lots of steps to reduce stress. Feels great.

"Any other “nut cases”
idiot2.gif
out there"

Cultivate a sense of humor and don't be afraid to be silly once a week, oh and hold your mouth right...

I assume the margaritas are part of the stress reduction program.
I do like feeling less stress, food is great, vitamins are great, supplements are great, but I do not get excited about doing that for the next 35 years. But an evening of two-tres margaritas and some frisky behavior afterwards seems to make me want to live longer.:dance:

Rutabaga mash, spinach, 5000 mg of Niacin/day, well, not so much. :facepalm: But if that means more frisky nights, hey, ....

Last edited:
5000 mg of Niacin/day
Nervous System

Your nervous system, when exposed to toxic levels of niacin, may cause you to experience several concerning side effects. You might become confused, tired and irritable. Occurrences of headache, seizures, mental changes and fainting have been reported as well

Read more: The Effects Of Niacin Overdose | LIVESTRONG.COM

"Been there, had that....be careful."

Edited to add: We take 500mg daily, so unless your 5000mg is a typo you're taking way too much, IMO.

Last edited:
I've recently become interested in longevity "hot spots" - places in the world where people routinely live into their 90s and even 100s, disease-free! Most studies of these folks have found the following 5 common denominators:

1. Diet/Nutrition - mostly plant-based, although meat is consumed sparingly.
2. Activity/Exercise - they're all active, not training for marathons, but mostly involved in the daily gathering of food, which they grow themselves.
3. Purpose/Spirituality - they all believe in some form of a higher power. Something greater than themselves that guides them.
4. Connection/Community - often multiple generations live in the same home. Seniors are honored/respected, feel useful. Often there are daily community gatherings - people look out for each other.
5. Relaxation - whether it's yoga, meditation, etc., they all practice some intentional method.

I'm trying to incorporate all five of these in my life. My biggest struggle so far is the Relaxation!

Back
Top Bottom