Still waking up early in retirement

LXEX55

Recycles dryer sheets
My job always required that I wake up early, usually around 4:30 am or so. I never had trouble waking up early, never groggy or anything. Woke up without an alarm clock. I have been retired for more than one year and I am still waking up at that time. Not that I want to, but I am wide awake by 5 am or so. So, I get up and putter around. My wife is a really sound sleeper and does not wake up until hours later. I tried going to bed later, working out in the gym every day to tire myself out, etc. but nothing works. I don't drink much coffee so I don't think that's it. Is anyone else still on their work schedule even though they don't want to be?

After seven years of no alarm, I still wake up around 5:30 or 6. I just roll with it and try to follow what my body wants to do.

I am four years into retirement. This was a big issue for me at first, but I have gotten used to it. Sometimes I can roll over and go back to sleep, sometimes not.
DH and I wake up time for work was around 5/530. Still wake up anywhere from 4-6, no matter what time I go to bed.
But I sleep more restfully, and take an occasional nap! Not too often though, as that nap is what really messes with my sleep.

Nothing wrong with being an early bird; I'm the same way.

Over 4 years and still up at 5 no matter when I go to bed or how tired I am. It is fine with me I love the morning so not a big deal for me. A habit is hard to break.

Next month it'll be 32 years since I was 'gainfully employed', so I'm happy just waking up at all.

When I retired just under 5 years ago, I slept in for the first 3 or 4 weeks. Used to be up before 6, and now I was sleeping until 8. But, over time, I slowly went back to around 6, rarely as late as 7.

Of course the dog may be part of the reason :D

I grew up on a dairy farm where the "chores" started at 5AM to be able to finish and catch the school bus at 7:15 AM. All through my work career I was always in the office between 7-8 AM. Four months into retirement and I am still up early. My dog and I have our personal time together and enjoy sunrise walks. Then I enjoy coffee on the deck while observing the suburban world rushing of to work. Very enjoyable as I have always been a morning person.

Winter weather might require some adjustment...

When I was working I'd be up by 5am... Maybe even a little earlier... I don't recall how long it took me to adjust but now it's more like 7 to 7:30.

I'm up at 4:00 a.m. like clockwork. After breakfast, I often take a nap--the best sleep of my day--for an hour or two.

I try to get out of the bed by the time Let's Make a Deal and Price Is Right come on. Sometimes, they're the most positive shows in my day.

The trick is trying to stay up later at night.

My job always required that I wake up early, usually around 4:30 am or so. I never had trouble waking up early, never groggy or anything. Woke up without an alarm clock. I have been retired for more than one year and I am still waking up at that time. Not that I want to, but I am wide awake by 5 am or so. So, I get up and putter around. My wife is a really sound sleeper and does not wake up until hours later. I tried going to bed later, working out in the gym every day to tire myself out, etc. but nothing works. I don't drink much coffee so I don't think that's it. Is anyone else still on their work schedule even though they don't want to be?

Not any more but it takes awhile . I been retired over 8 yrs now

If I sleep till 5:45 AM, that is some serious over sleeping for me. If you are a morning person, those habits are hard to break.

Early bird here too. Latest I wake up is 6am.

10 years into retirement I am still waking up at 6am. For several years I was taking some pleasure with mid day naps but I seem not to do that anymore. What is crucial for me is to make sure I go to sleep by midnight otherwise I will feel it the next day.

5:30 the cat nips DH’s arm (if outside the covers) and then we wake up ( and I wait for the coffee to arrive in bed). We should do a poll. The way this is trending I think 90% of us are awake by 6AM.

Go with what's comfy for you. When working, I got up at 0537 to avoid traffic when working (left house at 0605). Now, I tend to get up an hour or so after DW, who is/was a stereotypical doctor-morning person.

Many nights, we go to bed together and I read on my kindle for a couple of hours after she is asleep.

4:30 for me, I need to get in the summer to beat the hot Arizona sun on my walk. In the winter just force of habit.

Same boat here, when working 4 am was wake up time. When I sleep late in 6 am is the latest. My body internals are set like a clock.

I find getting up at 6am works for me. I prefer to golf early, so that helps with the course about 30 minutes away. On non-golf days I can do my planning for the day early and be onto things by 7am.

Occasionally I sleep late and do not get out until 8 or 9am.. but waking up that late tends to make me sluggish the rest of the day. Fine for days when I choose to do absolutely nothing, but I do not want to make that a routine. :)

5:30-6 vs 5:20 before. The day seems too short if I get up later, and I can't sleep longer than that anyway.

Back
Top Bottom