Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Exact same problem. Now I use Toms of Maine (scented) and never a problem since.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the informative replies. Interesting others have had the same
problem. Not something one would bring up in casual conversation.

Will try some of the suggestions.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Me too. Switched to dove sensitive from degree. I was wondering if it was heat rash or an infection. Nope still happened with fresh tube after the initial rash cleared up. Makes me wonder if they changed inactive ingredients.
lazysundays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Thanks for the informative replies. Interesting others have had the same
problem. Not something one would bring up in casual conversation.

Will try some of the suggestions.
wolf,

How about trying all the suggestions and then letting us know the results.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #25

Years ago I had this problem.....tried every store brand......Doc recommended Almay.....buy it on the internet......works perfect.....never had a problem.....then tried store brands, again.....problem came right back so I'm back to Almay......try it.....I'll bet it helps. Good luck!
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Do you ever get your vitamin D levels checked?
WFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Upon the advice of what a friends' grandfather used back in the day, I rub a dab of isopropyl acohol on a cloth under the ol' pits for odor, and a dab of powder if needed. Seems to work pretty well. I guess the alcohol kills the lil micro organisms that produce the odors.
johnnyfuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Same thing happened to me about 7 years ago. My favorite brand of deodorant I had used for 10 years suddenly caused a major rash. I tried several deodorants and antiperspirants, and the rash went away after using unscented Almay. I kept trying various brands and eventually found some scented ones that I am not allergic to. They have worked well for 7 years, but I've noticed some occasional redness the last week or two so maybe I'm becoming allergic to my new brand. Yikes!
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Exact same problem. Now I use Toms of Maine (scented) and never a problem since.
I used to use Toms but then I had the same problem about 10 yrs ago. I did a little research and they indeed had changed their formula. I think they changed back to their original formula but by then I had switched to a different brand. In any case, yes, you want to try different brands. I would check to see what is available in your local natural grocery store.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've read that switching brands every six months is a good idea--keeps the bacteria guessing. Arm and Hammer Essentials works for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Oh.... another thing.... wait a bit after taking a shower to put it on.... I was in a rush a week or so ago and was out of the shower, dried off... put on deodorant and WHAM.... itchy and red... have not had the problem before or after when I do other things a get really dry before applying...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Had exactly the same. Usually after a month or so of trying a new brand. Found one that works for me now. I assume that it has something to do with a chemical ingredient. Same issue with shampoo and face soap.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I had this issue back in 1964. I immediately changed brands and have not had that problem since.

I think it was just a temporary sensitivity of some kind, in my case.

The following year I became very sensitive to makeup and had to stop wearing it for a while. Now THAT was a tragedy for a 16-year-old girl. I also switched to Neutrogena soap just in case it was soap that was causing these non-acne facial skin problems, and avoided a number of common food allergens such as strawberries, wheat, chocolate, and so on. Eventually everything resolved, my skin sensitivities cleared up, and I haven't had any recurrences.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #34

Update:

Tried Mitchum. Worked fine at first. Then, same issues.

Tried Almay. So far so good.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:34 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to be a big fan of Mitchum, but then developed a rash from that.
On a lark, I tried Avon Skin So Soft, and it's been great so far, about 6 years.
Only about $1.00 per small bottle. This is the only Avon product I regularly buy.
Sarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Is deodorant really necessary?
Yes, for those of us that have to be around you. Had a co-worker that didn't use deodorant and finally had to have an "intervention" and tell them that they smelled after a few hours at work.

[QUOTE=redduck;1436308]I've had this problem for many years. So, I decided to use deodorant made for women. This has been working just fine and I usually smell like a freshly washed bedsheet smothered in Downy fabric softener. If you are a guy you might want to try this. If you are a women, you probably have already tried this.QUOTE]

[QUOTE=wolf;1436349]Not something one would bring up in casual conversation. QUOTE]

Yep, us girls do talk about this stuff.

Best bet for allergies is a product for "sensitive skin" and "unscented".
For those of you that use a spritz of cologne could you please use a smaller spritz. Some people must have a defective nose. I get tired of smelling your cologne or wearing it when you hug me or shake my hand. We have a friend that wears "too much", you can still smell him when he leaves the room. I use to get a lot of migraines so use to blame my migraine when asking friends or co-workers to politely "wear less". Most people would wear less smelly stuff or not at all which I really appreciated. This man insisted that his cologne wasn't strong. Even though several of us had told him. I finally had to ask him not to hug me or even shake my hand. If you've ever had a migraine you'll understand.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote