Successful 10-second one-legged stance performance predicts survival in middle-aged

I'm right at the median age of the study, and can balance with either leg. It wasn't a trivial task, but my center of gravity is about as high as physically possible for a 6 foot tall human.

Interestingly, there have been other studies about mortality that call out tall people and bald people. Yes, bald. But in this case, a tall person should find this test more challenging.

This is a really interesting study. I was on my phone yesterday when I saw this and couldn't give it a proper read until now.

For an annual physical, my doctor always gives me at "tippy toe" and "heel" walk test. The test in this study may be better than those.

I went back a second time after looking at the paper, and it was quite a bit easier following their instruction of tucking one's foot behind the opposite calf-as opposed to dangling the opposite leg freely. Picture is from the study.

F1.large.jpg

Interestingly, there have been other studies about mortality that call out tall people and bald people. Yes, bald. But in this case, a tall person should find this test more challenging.
I knew that very tall people (as in basketball forwards) tended to live shorter lives, but I didn't realize that this was the case in slightly taller-than-average men. :confused:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071721/

OTOH, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is alive and commentating on the issues of the day at 75.

I went back a second time after looking at the paper, and it was quite a bit easier following their instruction of tucking one's foot behind the opposite calf-as opposed to dangling the opposite leg freely. Picture is from the study.

F1.large.jpg

Another tip: Engage your core muscles including hips. In particular in the yoga tree pose I find I have to tilt my pelvis forward a bit and engage all my lower ab and hip muscles to hold it a long time.

And if someone has poor core strength- well, you gotta fix that if you want better quality aging.

Isn't this test also for middle-aged, where the obvious balance and fall issue is not as common?

It is an interesting test that I think can capture a lot of issues, so I think you are all right it isn't just an obesity test.
I see, yes - the subjects were aged 51–75 years. So generally not the frail elderly.

All sorts of things going on health wise in that age group.

Objective: Balance quickly diminishes after the mid-50s increasing the risk for falls and other adverse health outcomes. Our aim was to assess whether the ability to complete a 10- s one-legged stance (10-second OLS) is associated with all-cause mortality and whether it adds relevant prognostic information beyond ordinary demographic, anthropometric and clinical data.

And the answer was yes.

I started learning yoga at age 40 thinking that I might really need it as I got older. I kept it up off and on so I retained what I had learned and could practice independently.

Yes, as I got later into my 50s it started making a huge difference, and I was glad I was experienced.

These days if I go for a while, even a week, without yoga I get stiffer and creakier. But as long as I regularly do it a few times a week, I maintain max flexibility and no joint creaking.

Last edited:
I'm 69 and passed this easily. It's part of the cool-down on my video workouts. My dear mother said you should do everything you can to keep your balance because otherwise you wake up one day and it's gone.

For those saying "too easy" have a look around you the next time you are at the grocery store. You'll see a whole lot of people who almost rely on their shopping carts to walk - not even just the super elderly or obviously frail. Many people live near sedentary lifestyles. Moving only for need to get from A to B, not for exercise or health.

They probably circled the parking lot 5 times to get the closest spot.

Anyone who finds this very easy might try it with eyes closed. Balance movements are part of my daily routine, & when I first tried this with closed eyes 10 seconds was a major challenge but now I can do it! Practice really makes a difference.

For those of you finding the test to be extremely easy, try doing it with your eyes closed. No idea what the significance of that is, but it is definitely much harder for me with eyes closed, and I do yoga a couple of times per week.

Too easy. They should extend the time to 60 seconds per leg. Eyes open/closed makes no difference. Rock climbing balance exercises are more challenging. Try some of these.

For anyone gloating on how easy the test was, there's another test that might be a little more difficult. First, try the same test standing on one leg, but time how long you can maintain your balance. Then try it again with your eyes closed. The amount of time you can balance with eyes closed usually has much lower times that decline with age.

The following link is a medical study abstract. Study participants were asked to do each test 3 times. On page 11 you will see a table and a chart of their results.

https://geriatrictoolkit.missouri.e...or_the_Unipedal_Stance_Test_Springer-JGPT.pdf

Good luck, and avoid trying the eyes closed test at the top of the stairs. :)

update: for the study the following applied - Eligible subjects were asked to stand barefoot on the limb of their choice, with the other limb raised so that the raised foot
was near but not touching the ankle of their stance limb. Each
subject was asked to focus on a spot on the wall at eye level in
front of him, for the duration of the eyes open test. Prior to rais-
ing the limb, the subject was instructed to cross his arms over
the chest. Time commenced when the subject raised the foot off the floor. Time
ended when the subject either: (1) used his arms (ie, uncrossed
arms), (2) used the raised foot (moved it toward or away from the
standing limb or touched the floor), (3) moved the weight-bear-
ing foot to maintain his balance (ie, rotated foot on the ground),
(4) a maximum of 45 seconds had elapsed, or (5) opened eyes
on eyes closed trials.

Last edited:
I participated in a healthy aging study recently and the balancing tests consisted of standing on one leg with arms folded across chest with eyes open, repeat test with eyes closed, walking a straight line heal to toe with arms folded across chest with eyes open, repeat test with eyes closed. I had no problems with the eyes open part of the test but it was much harder with the eyes closed.

I have always found my yoga poses (including standing on one leg) more difficult with my eyes closed.

I have a friend who is 96, a few years ago he was so happy that he found a tool to help him put his socks on. We meet for breakfast once a week, he is always first so we don't see him come in, but he always needs someone to help him to the car and last time the helper, said he could not get his leg up to get in and had to be helped. Yes, we all agree he should not be driving, he drives out for every meal because he doesn't cook. He did get meals on wheels until they found out he drives and they stopped that. I don't know why he has not started using a walker.
The restaurant we go to just installed a hand rail just to help him get up onto the sidewalk. They really take good care of him, even gave him a number to call if he had trouble during some bad weather we had.

Correlation vs. causation? Maybe a sedentary lifestyle could lead to balance and strength issues, as well as higher risk of mortality from all causes.

+1

I can do it on my right leg. My left, no. But, I never learned to skateboard, ice skate or ski as I kept falling on my behind. After so many falls one decides that these activities are no longer much fun. Balance has always been a problem for me, even as a child.

Last edited:
+1

I can do it on my right leg. My left, no. But, I never learned to skateboard, ice skate or ski as I kept falling on my behind. After so many falls one decides that these activities are no longer much fun.

Tried my son's skateboard when I was 60, fell on my but, never again.
Meanwhile he has built himself an electric skateboard and sometimes rides it the 4 miles to work. He did buy a helmet, protective jacket with pads and gloves with pucks built in.

I have a friend who is 96, a few years ago he was so happy that he found a tool to help him put his socks on. We meet for breakfast once a week, he is always first so we don't see him come in, but he always needs someone to help him to the car and last time the helper, said he could not get his leg up to get in and had to be helped. Yes, we all agree he should not be driving, he drives out for every meal because he doesn't cook. He did get meals on wheels until they found out he drives and they stopped that. I don't know why he has not started using a walker.
The restaurant we go to just installed a hand rail just to help him get up onto the sidewalk. They really take good care of him, even gave him a number to call if he had trouble during some bad weather we had.

When I set up meals on wheels for a couple of folks, driving was not even brought up. The ability to cook was discussed, and when they learned the people were over 90 it was not even a question that they wouldn't qualify.

Seems to me this guy should qualify, as how can he grocery shop, let alone cook, sounds pretty impossible really.

Now, maybe he made that up, as one fellow I set up tried it for 2 weeks and then cancelled as he didn't like that he had to wait around until noon for the food. What if he "needed" to go out some morning :facepalm: Some folks are just too stubborn/fixed in their thinking.

I can easily do several minutes, either leg. 'Been a long time habit. Does it mean I will live forever?

I can easily do several minutes, either leg. 'Been a long time habit. Does it mean I will live forever?

No. You are guaranteed to live at least as long as you can do the above.

Once you stop being able to, add a few more years, the exact numbers TBD.

The reasons for ceasing to be able to do the test are numerous. At least one involves the proverbial bus. :D

^^^ Matches my guesstimate.

One of my grandfather's died decade(s) early from this basically. I think this test mostly relates to falling. It can certainly happen with poor weight/flexibility, but it also relates a lot to avoiding high risk activities. What did that particular grandfather do? He was a handyman type, so he would fix everything, so he loved climbing ladders. Fell off one in his late 60's or so. Mostly fine. Fell again a couple years later, kinda mostly fine. Fell again a year later, major circulation problems, started having regular strokes, and with them brain damage. It was the type of slow and ugly process that most would like to not see happen in the end, and was very avoidable.

Last edited:
When DH and I turned 65 we made a rule to not get on any more ladders.

I did some balance exercises over a few months about a year ago for knee stability (standing on one leg). The progression went from hands out at shoulder height, then hands down to the side, then eyes closed with hands out, then hands down and eyes closed. Eyes closed was harder. Always done with no shoes on. For extra challenge (if one leg is too easy), get a balance board.

We had our house built with no stairs or steps...but it does have concrete floors. So when either of us eventually does fall, it will be hard.

Back
Top Bottom