Successful 10-second one-legged stance performance predicts survival in middle-aged

Not a problem on my left leg but spinal nerve damage on the right side would have me falling over if I tried the right leg. Prior to that it was never a problem to stand on one foot for extended periods of time. Maybe starting some kind of PT program would help.

Cheers!

When I set up meals on wheels for a couple of folks, driving was not even brought up. The ability to cook was discussed, and when they learned the people were over 90 it was not even a question that they wouldn't qualify.

Seems to me this guy should qualify, as how can he grocery shop, let alone cook, sounds pretty impossible really.

Now, maybe he made that up, as one fellow I set up tried it for 2 weeks and then cancelled as he didn't like that he had to wait around until noon for the food. What if he "needed" to go out some morning :facepalm: Some folks are just too stubborn/fixed in their thinking.

I understand what you are saying, but my friend is pretty easy going, still has all his faculties. The only place he goes is to get food. I'm sure he even has many doctor appointments, his younger (who isn't) girlfriend says he so much healthier than her, that she expects him to out live her.
But he's not moving real well anymore.

When DH and I turned 65 we made a rule to not get on any more ladders.
I'm 62 and separated the two halves of my 24 foot extension ladder in the spring. I haven't found occasion to reassemble it yet.

I would think so. I'll try tomorrow when I'm sober again - :)

For those saying "too easy" have a look around you the next time you are at the grocery store. You'll see a whole lot of people who almost rely on their shopping carts to walk - not even just the super elderly or obviously frail. Many people live near sedentary lifestyles. Moving only for need to get from A to B, not for exercise or health.

They probably circled the parking lot 5 times to get the closest spot.

You reminded me of a trip to the grand canyon DW and I took about 3 years ago. At one point the tour bus dropped us off and we had to walk maybe 3/4 of a mile to where we would have lunch. It was warm, probably low 80s, but nothing bad. Of the twenty or so of us on the tour 5 of us made it to the eating area in what I would say normal time, at a normal pace. The rest took longer, and 6 or 7 had to stop and rest on the way, and were clearly panting when they made it. The sad thing was the 5 of us who made it at a normal pace were probably all over 50, and the ones who had to stop and rest were under 40.

One of my grandfather's died decade(s) early from this basically. I think this test mostly relates to falling. It can certainly happen with poor weight/flexibility, but it also relates a lot to avoiding high risk activities. What did that particular grandfather do? He was a handyman type, so he would fix everything, so he loved climbing ladders. Fell off one in his late 60's or so. Mostly fine. Fell again a couple years later, kinda mostly fine. Fell again a year later, major circulation problems, started having regular strokes, and with them brain damage. It was the type of slow and ugly process that most would like to not see happen in the end, and was very avoidable.

I am sorry to hear that. One of my goals in FIRE life is to maintain enough money to pay someone else if someone needs to go up on a ladder. Nothing higher than a step ladder for me these days.

I can easily do several minutes, either leg. 'Been a long time habit. Does it mean I will live forever?

What I did not mention: I am a figure skater. In figure skating one spend most of the time on one skate, very rearely on both. Typically in the skating season 2 or 3 times a week, one to two hours each time. This activity requires great balance, with accomapanying posture etc.. This is unlike Ice Hockey where the players are mostly double weighted on each skate and on bent knees.
It will be a sad day when I have to give up figure skating.

I think it’s a test of balance. Less balance leads to a higher likelihood of falling. Falls usually aren’t fatal but they often start a steep decline that becomes terminal.
Likely this. My dad was in incredible shape for being mid 80s, but a couple of unexpected falls, the first including a broken hip, and his health has declined markedly. I don’t know how he would have fared on balance tests.

Does the test include successfully getting your leg through your underwear w/o falling? :)

And I agree about ladders...had uncles on opposite sides of the family who fell off ladders...IIRC, both falls under 10'.

One shattered both wrists...the other both ankles.

A neighbor of mine broke his femur bone falling off the bed of his pickup. He was just trying to take off some cargo. With surgery and some steel reinforcement in his thigh, he said he was OK now, but learned to be more careful. He was only 70.

Last edited:
I would have thought with your sea legs this would be a snap. Sober or not... :)

We had a business on a pontoon boat docked in a marina, When we first started, I was fine while on the boat, but when I got off, the world was swaying. It took a couple weeks and then I was fine either way.

We had a business on a pontoon boat docked in a marina, When we first started, I was fine while on the boat, but when I got off, the world was swaying. It took a couple weeks and then I was fine either way.

I felt that way getting off a 7-day cruise. Very unsettling for a couple of days.

I'm good at 56.

But my 77YO father has had mobility issues for several years; he can't even stand long w/o his walker on 2 legs!
Yet that tough cookie keeps on plugging!

I'm 58 and technically in the "obese" category but have no trouble balancing on either foot, eyes open or closed. Then again I've always had good balance, am comfortable climbing ladders, walking on the roof, etc.

My wife is 53 and never had good balance. She could do 10 seconds but it was obviously more of a struggle. Lots of wobbling and reaching for things to stay upright. :)

A few weeks ago my brother-in-law fell off a ladder and broke a few ribs. He's a couple years older than me and a few inches taller with a bigger build. I don't know the specifics of how he fell or what he was doing, but somehow I don't think he has great balance either.

I stand on one leg and pull the other heel up to my butt as part of my stretching routine, and can stand that way as long as I want. With eyes closed, I can do only 7 or 8 seconds. Might start working on that.

My mom is 93 and has always had poor balance. She's fallen a number of times over the years, including when she was much younger, and needed her forehead and scalp stitched up a few times. Her doctor has told her several times to start using a walker, but she won't. A couple doctors over the years have suggested she try some tai chi classes, but that's also a nope. At least she keeps up on her walking, inside in the hallways of the retirement place, where she can keep her hand on the rail on the wall.

I am doing a lot of OLS out of necessity after knee surgery. I even cut my hair standing one leg a few days ago. (I hope it grows out soon!)

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2022/06/22/bjsports-2021-105360

This is a very long article from the British Journal of Sports Medicine so if you just want to do the test, scroll down to the pic and read around it about the correct posture, then try to stand on one leg for 10 sec or longer.

Their conclusion: Our study indicates that the inability to complete a 10-s OLS in middle-aged and older participants is related to a higher risk of all-cause mortality and, consequently, to a shorter life expectancy.

Exercising the balance was always in my basic routine so this does not come as a great surprise.

I don't see the pic.

I am doing a lot of OLS out of necessity after knee surgery. I even cut my hair standing one leg a few days ago. (I hope it grows out soon!)

Don't be so fast about that! My wife has cut my hair for over 30 years, this is a frugal thing on her part. But she does a nice job and I have never had a bad hair cut, so great. A while back I grew a beard and mustache, she doesn't like it. I said I need set a time for you to cut my hair, she came back with an attitude about cutting of my beard when she cuts my hair. So I went to a barber shop for the first time in over thirty years, I must say I enjoyed it, all young women barbers, treated me well, massaged my scalp, blow dry my hair. Very enjoyable. OH, I'm off topic, after my hair cut it was great for a week or two but the front was not cut enough, now it's down in my eyes and bugging the heck out of me. Tough decision on who to go to now. :er: i.e. mine grew out to soon!

I timed myself when I first heard of it. I got bored after 45 seconds and could have gone longer.

Didn't last two seconds with my eyes closed. Tried it several times.

With my eyes open I'm still pretty wobbly, but managed to make it 20 or 30 seconds each time. I've had balance issues for years.

Speaking of ladders, just yesterday I was thinking how stupid I was climbing a ladder to trim a tree (above a sidewalk).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom