Successful 10-second one-legged stance performance predicts survival in middle-aged

tenant13

Full time employment: Posting here.
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2022/06/22/bjsports-2021-105360

This is a very long article from the British Journal of Sports Medicine so if you just want to do the test, scroll down to the pic and read around it about the correct posture, then try to stand on one leg for 10 sec or longer.

Their conclusion: Our study indicates that the inability to complete a 10-s OLS in middle-aged and older participants is related to a higher risk of all-cause mortality and, consequently, to a shorter life expectancy.

Exercising the balance was always in my basic routine so this does not come as a great surprise.

I just tried it. No problem. I am older than the average of the group below.

From the article:
The mean±SD age of the participants was 61.7±6.8 years and 68% were men... A total of 348 (20.4%) participants failed to pass the test.

There's no way my mother and mother-in-law can stand on one leg for even 1 second. My 88-year-old mother walks with a waddle. My 96-year-old mother-in-law needs a rollator walker. Neither is obese.

So, how they last till now?

Correlation vs. causation? Maybe a sedentary lifestyle could lead to balance and strength issues, as well as higher risk of mortality from all causes.

That said, I did notice I don't have as much time to put a sock on, while standing on one foot, as I used to. I guess I'm a goner.

I'm afraid to try :eek:

This type of thing has been part of my exercise routine for years, so fortunately I have no problem with it (other than getting bored standing like that after 2+ minutes :)).

When I start having balance problems, I know that I am in trouble.

Hmmm... that seemed way too easy. I could easily do the OLS on either foot for 10+ seconds. I guess that's a good thing, but it was so easy I think maybe I didn't do it right. I don't consider myself to have a particularly great sense of balance (sometimes, I start to fall to one side while putting on a sock standing up), but this test seems to indicate otherwise.

Made it easily on each foot. And I have balance issues - fallen from ladders a few times, a few falls while hiking.

This was part of my therapy several years ago when recovering from a broken ankle.

This test is too easy, I think people should try both legs at the same time.

I'm going to guess obesity is a big factor here.

As someone said, too easy. Every day I do a 1-leg stand on each leg, for 60-70 secs. And I don't use a nice safe centered-gravity pose like in the article. There's arm and free leg movement, and I move my gaze around not to focus like a ballerina on a point that aids in balancing.

I think what the article is making a point of is: anyone who has trouble with such a rudimentary balancing act is already having some real problems. Pain, joint, strength, or inner ear, but not know it or know how severe the implications are, so, um yeah, they would be more likely to fall than people who can do a pretty easy balancing act.

Or even just overall physical condition?

I think it’s a test of balance. Less balance leads to a higher likelihood of falling. Falls usually aren’t fatal but they often start a steep decline that becomes terminal.

I do a lot of yoga and at age 70 I can do the test on either leg for 1 minute plus. I have very good balance.

Balance, good posture and decent muscle tone is very crucial for avoiding falls which are quite dangerous for frail elderly.

We do long standing balance poses in yoga so I’m used to it.

I did it again for more than 1 minute on each leg.

When I first did it, stopped after 10 seconds, thinking what's the big deal.

It gets a bit tiring after 1 minute, though I can do it for longer if I have to.

I stood on the left leg first, then switched to the right leg. I am not as stable on the right leg for some reason. Could it be because I did it last?

I'm OK even after 3 shots of bourbon.

Tree pose

Attachments

• DE4F4725-54D7-417E-B9DC-98434D797BA0.jpeg
    DE4F4725-54D7-417E-B9DC-98434D797BA0.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 206
Interesting! Not too hard of task to do.

There are plenty of skinny frail old people with poor posture and terrible balance.

Isn't this test also for middle-aged, where the obvious balance and fall issue is not as common?

It is an interesting test that I think can capture a lot of issues, so I think you are all right it isn't just an obesity test.

Last edited:
I'm right at the median age of the study, and can balance with either leg. It wasn't a trivial task, but my center of gravity is about as high as physically possible for a 6 foot tall human.

Back
Top Bottom