Surgery sticker shock

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
I recently had ventral hernia surgery in Florida. I thought you all might be amused to look at the hospital billing statement. Keep in mind this does not even include the surgeon fee, anesthesia doc, and followup appts. Also, it was an outpatient procedure! The hospital charged $31K for the first 30 minutes in the operating room, and $30K for additional time beyond the 30 min. I think my Tricare insurance ended up paying less than $8k, but the billing is not finalized yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 121
Not surprised at all. My wife had an ankle replacement a few years ago that cost $66K. The nationally reknowned surgeon charged $6K, the *@&$# hospital charged $60K for a 2-3 day stay...

You didn't post the second page of that statement that detailed the gourmet meals flown in from Paris, the private executive chef who reheated them in your private penthouse suite in the hospital, the string quartet providing background music, etc., etc.

I mean, seriously? Why not show all the reasons for those charges?
:LOL:

You want to know the most shocking thing to me is on that bill?

That they actually charged ZERO on a number of items... I am really surprised they did not charge something and get it rejected..

You want to know the most shocking thing to me is on that bill?

That they actually charged ZERO on a number of items... I am really surprised they did not charge something and get it rejected..

yes, apparently there was a special on oxygen that day:cool:

It doesn't surprise me a bit. I've been doing pretty good at running up hospital bills myself lately. (All better now, at least for the time being.)

I think the "rack rate" on hospital charges is a bigger fiction than the MSRP stickers on new cars.

DW's heart valve replacement was $175,000 and $15,000 of that was for the surgeon. All covered by Medicare and her Plan F.

Just curious, to members posting about their hospital charges, are these original amounts billed or final negotiated rates?

Just curious, to members posting about their hospital charges, are these original amounts billed or final negotiated rates?

The bill I posted was the actual hospital bill, stating I owed over $4K. Turns out that is incorrect and my insurance is adjusting their compensation to the hospital. I just wonder if someone who chooses to self-insure would get the same bill for about $100K for an outpatient procedure.

This is why there is such a risk for living without insurance. Many bankruptcies are related to medical expenses like these. In some cases, people could have paid there way out of a bill if it represented what insurance companies negotiated rates were.

This is a great example of the fallacy of asking patients to be better consumers and pay attention to what procedures cost, and to shop around for more economical choices. There is no way to understand what the costs are up front, and in the end, there is no visibility to what the agreements are between the insurance companies and the providers.

I just had an endoscopy. Was charged $200 co-pay for "surgery" - the biopsies.

Mr. A.'s skin cancer removals are $200.00 co-pay each. The surgeon charges about 10x that.

This is a great example of the fallacy of asking patients to be better consumers and pay attention to what procedures cost, and to shop around for more economical choices. There is no way to understand what the costs are up front, and in the end, there is no visibility to what the agreements are between the insurance companies and the providers.

I think you have hit on something here.

Medical costs and pricing reminds me of those commercials for
Kitchen gadgets...... The Zapomatic Food Cruncher is normally $79, but for the next 5000 people who call you can get it and a complete set of Seal-a-Mighty canisters, a $49 value, all for $29.95!!!!!!!!!

What in the world is the actual costs of the product and the actual prices in this mess? What are true prices and what are come-ons for those who do't know better? How can a product or service cost $200 'normally', but be sold to me/insurance for on a regular basis for $93?

Truly it is a mess.

Last edited:
I would favor regulations that would limit a provider's "rack-rate" to no more an 3x the lowest insurer negotiated cost for that service/code as a first step towards something more sensible.

I have a rough estimate of the expenses when DH was diagnosed with cancer. From the diagnosis, a few procedures and radiation treatments, the total was approximately $145k. Our insurance paid $45k and we paid $8k ($8k was our max out of pocket expenses). ...and this was seven years ago.

The good news is, everything is fine thus far.

My step-son cut his leg skateboarding. 12 stitches in OR...bill....$27,000.

I have a rough estimate of the expenses when DH was diagnosed with cancer. From the diagnosis, a few procedures and radiation treatments, the total was approximately $145k. Our insurance paid $45k and we paid $8k ($8k was our max out of pocket expenses). ...and this was seven years ago.

The good news is, everything is fine thus far.

Glad to hear everything is okay!
DW also had cancer, back in 2004. Insurance paid about $60k for that, and we paid about $600.
Everything is good with her too (knock on wood).

All surgeries get marked up.(ridiculously) and then all.parties take whatever Medicare pays. Then all providers make a big journal entry to write off the difference and they send us a bill for our copays and deductibles.

You should celebrate - maybe buy a sports car. :D
tee hee....:D
:dance: :dance: May it ever be so!:flowers:
Thanks Amethyst...uh oh, you brought my groove back. Think I'll join you. :dance:

Glad to hear everything is okay!
DW also had cancer, back in 2004. Insurance paid about $60k for that, and we paid about $600.
Everything is good with her too (knock on wood).
Congratulations to you and your bride. We'll keep knockin' on wood and enjoy each and every day. :)

Why I like Kaiser.

You bet. Mrs Scrapr spent a week in the oncology ward with one smallish surgery (says me that didn't get cut). I was totally expecting max deductible $5k. They came in under. About $4k IIRC. Then this year was the major surgery and 10 day stay. That one did max out another deductible. We were in yesterday doing some follow up. We noticed they didn't charge us! Free healthcare!

No fake bills that they cut down or codes that are rejected.

My recent initial hospital bill was 128,597.56 They adjusted the total by 96,448.17 because their system had me as a direct payer. Haven't seen the corrected bill yet.

Back
Top Bottom