Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Question: Downsizing vs. ACA Subsidies
Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tax Question: Downsizing vs. ACA Subsidies

If we sell our current house, I know for a married couple we would get up to a $500K exclusion from capital gains taxes.

But how will this impact ACA subsidies? Do we lose those in the year we sell the house? We would be over the 400% O-MAGI in the year we sell the house, if the excluded capital gains from the house are included in the O-MAGI amount.

From what I have read we would also not get the 3.8% Medicare tax on excluded capital gains amount of $500K or less. Is that correct?
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That is an interesting question. It never occurred to me that excluded capital gains from house sale would be part of O-MAGI.

But if they are included, then wouldn't turning around and paying cash for another, albeit less expensive, house exclude some of that not-excluded-after-all CG?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
That is an interesting question. It never occurred to me that excluded capital gains from house sale would be part of O-MAGI.

But if they are included, then wouldn't turning around and paying cash for another, albeit less expensive, house exclude some of that not-excluded-after-all CG?
I think buying a new house will work for the asset part of the college financial aid test, but I don't think it would change our MAGI for FAFSA for college aid and the ACA income test.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Administrator

If you qualify for the exclusion you never report the capital gain, so it never becomes part of AGI. It is not an "add back" item, so no, home sale proceeds eligible for the exclusion should not affect the calculation for ACA premium assistance.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If you qualify for the exclusion you never report the capital gain, so it never becomes part of AGI. It is not an "add back" item, so no, home sale proceeds eligible for the exclusion should not affect the calculation for ACA premium assistance.
Okay, thanks. That is what I wasn't sure about.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #7

Will a ROTH account ever be "means tested" for the ACA? Since I paid future taxes to shield several million I hope not.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

It's a great thing that ACA is allowing more people to ER and get benefits paid for by the younger, healthier job workers. We did our part, now they can do theirs.