Teeth

Speaking of x-rays, the hygienist said "You had x-rays in 2007, and we recommend every 5 to 7 years, so you can get them next year."

I'm in no rush to spend a lot of money to sit around painfully biting down on things that make you gag, so I said that perhaps I don't have to get them until 2014.

Am I being overly cheap or is that reasonable? I haven't had any dental problems for years.

Will only state my own experience: x-rays are not painful or gagging with new soft stuff. Dentist does 'rear teeth' every 2 years. And 'whole head' every 5 years.

Had 3 (before during after) for root canal with old semi-gagging stuff.

Glad it all went well Khan! I have to say, I had a root canal about 9 years ago - the procedure itself was fine (aside from keeping mouth that wide open for sooo long and the sounds/smells). But the tooth has never been the same.

I also learned there are a lot of connections between oral health and overall health (ie flossing increases overall life by 6 years), pathways between your teeth and your brain and heart tissue health - I had no idea! So sometimes we may take our teeth for granted (I still do to a degree) and think technology will save us - but I'm not that inclined yet to believe implant technology and other fixes are going to be all we hope they will be...although I will likely need many of those more extreme fixes at some point!

Update (& oh crap):

So back in early March '11 a tooth started hurting a little bit. I ignored it for a few weeks, but realizing some stuff never gets better on its own, went to dentist. ($80) He gave prescription ($4) for antibiotic and appointment for root canal 4 April.

Endodontist called on 29 March telling me I could go in that afternoon. Had root canal ($935) (paid half then). Follow up (no charge) 5 April; no problems, healing well.

1 April had previously scheduled teeth cleaning. Made appointment for crown repair for 12 April.

This morning (8 April) get call from dentist office (paraprased): dentist got your Xrays today and we have to reschedule for a 2 hour appointment 22 April. (did not ask how much that will cost).

Teeth and plumbing are vying for largest % of my spending with the cat way back at third place.

Update (& oh crap):

Teeth and plumbing are vying for largest % of my spending with the cat way back at third place.
Maybe it is time to consider Dental Insurance . I have had the Federal Dental for years and it has paid for itself .

Back
Top Bottom