Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I smoked plenty of pot in the 70s, and enjoyed it a lot. Took a decade and a half vacation, and in those 15 years the stuff got a lot stronger. Tried it, didn't like it. Took about 20 more years off, and in that time made some new friends who enjoy it. Some use a pretty lightweight strain, and some use much more potent stuff.
I tried it again. Unfortunately (I guess), whatever my body enjoyed about it 40+ years ago, no longer works for me. The strong stuff is no fun for me at all, the weaker stuff does nothing for me, and both seem to make me really lethargic the next day. I am lazy enough without seeking out something to make me lazier.

but I do enjoy a wee bit of wine, and/or distilled spirits just fine. I always say that smoking pot is a crapshoot, but if I pour myself two fingers of Jack Daniels, I always know what I'm getting. If I screw it up it's on me.
It's not you, it's the pot.

The "good" pot that you used to enjoy was most likely a Sativa. They tend to be more uplifting and energetic than Indicas, which help more with pain relief but tend to put you to sleep.

Growers and breeders liked to use indicas because they were more productive, producing heavier buds, on more compact plants, that finished quicker. The high feels stronger, IMO, because it's more debilitating. Instead of enhancing your mindset and boosting your energy Indicas produce a heavy numbing high, which makes it more difficult to function.

Sativas originate from warm tropical climates, so they have long growing seasons and the plants can grow huge. Some of the Asian & African varieties can grow over 15' tall.

If you happen to have the opportunity to go visit a state that has legal recreational marijuana you should go to a pot shop and ask for a Thai strain, which are considered the most "cerebral" of the sativas. The Mexican, Colombian, Jamaican, and African ones are all good too.

It's really a shame that the indicas took over with commercial & indoor growers, but they were so much easier and more productive the just sativas couldn't compete.

Hopefully, as hemp production becomes more popular and warm Southern states eventually legalize marijuana sativas will make a comeback. I'll invest heavily when those stars align.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I agree. But why put the blame on Nixon?
I do not have anything against Nixon.

For some reason, it was in my mind that this happened during Nixon's administration.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post

The "good" pot that you used to enjoy was most likely a Sativa. They tend to be more uplifting and energetic than Indicas, which help more with pain relief but tend to put you to sleep.
Thus the nickname for Indicas - In Da Couch
Old 03-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post

Growers and breeders liked to use indicas because they were more productive, producing heavier buds, on more compact plants, that finished quicker. The high feels stronger, IMO, because it's more debilitating. Instead of enhancing your mindset and boosting your energy Indicas produce a heavy numbing high, which makes it more difficult to function.

Sativas originate from warm tropical climates, so they have long growing seasons and the plants can grow huge. Some of the Asian & African varieties can grow over 15' tall.

If you happen to have the opportunity to go visit a state that has legal recreational marijuana you should go to a pot shop and ask for a Thai strain, which are considered the most "cerebral" of the sativas. The Mexican, Colombian, Jamaican, and African ones are all good too.

It's really a shame that the indicas took over with commercial & indoor growers, but they were so much easier and more productive the just sativas couldn't compete.

Hopefully, as hemp production becomes more popular and warm Southern states eventually legalize marijuana sativas will make a comeback. I'll invest heavily when those stars align.
Actually more important than indica or sativa is the terpenes. Terpenes are the compounds that give cannabis the flavor and smell. Those compounds in a myriad of combinations with the other cannabinoids (70+ ive read) not just thc/cbd are responsible for the effects.

Here is a quick guild to smell testing your buds. Indica terpenes will be noticed first near the base of your nose. Sativa at the top, near your sinuses, and hybrids in-between. Try it.

On the question of" is todays weed stronger"? Where is the proof? In the 70's weed was mostly imported and treated terrible. Plus grown improperly. Some areas left it on the ground to dry. Remember finding stones and dirt in it? Along with seeds and stems. Those were the days, and don't forget paraquat.

Breeders imho opinion brought out what was already there. And todays weed is dried, cured and stored properly. Big difference.

And speaking of breeding most varieties now days are hybrids. Another reason to ignore the indica sativa labels, unless its an old landrace variety. Some sativa flowered for months and months. Growers paying light bills no likey.

If you miss that old good time happy go lucky weed buzz from the old days, try a variety with some cbd in it. Thats one thing (cbd) pretty much bred out of todays weed, although its becoming more popular. Another thing is cannabis with citrusy smelling buds. That smell is from a certain terpene (limonene) that makes the whole experience more up lifting.

Anyway thats what I heard somewhere, lol.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:54 PM   #25

I've always enjoyed waking and baking. I think in California we've been more blessed than most with quality product, but I don't think it's more potent than in the old days.

I actually think that the best of the old days was better than anything I've found today. The difference is that in the old days, it was almost impossible to source and it would vanish quickly because it was so rare. The old hippies were amazing growers! You just had to know the right people.

Before legalization, most weed was not good quality since buyers couldn't be choosey and growers wanted to turn larger crops faster to make more money. (The best weed takes a lot of time and money to grow and crops are smaller.) Even today, growers make a lot of trade-offs between yield and quality. Ultimately, I believe it's more than just the amount of THC in the plant, but it is the main measuring stick that draws my interest.

On a side note, I love using the weed delivery service! From my desk to my door in less than 60 minutes. Simply amazing. (I've come to hate the retail stores.)
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:51 AM   #26
gone traveling

lots of good info. thanks guys. I try not to post much. there is so much info that many don't know...and many are curious but don't want the label. but, yea...growing pot in a closet is easy, but growing good pot is hard! plants need water, so you can't leave. bugs, nats, fleas all need to be dealt with. mold can ruin! humidity in the house and everything molds. so much to learn...…………………..
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
I've always enjoyed waking and baking.
My new favorite medible is medicated honey butter. Its homemade and really tasty. 4 ingredients, a mj concentrate, ghee (clarified butter), sun flower lecithin, and honey. I used all organic ingredients. It stays spreadable and looks like whipped honey. I use it on toast or a bagel, waffle, or straight off a spoon.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
My new favorite medible is medicated honey butter. Its homemade and really tasty. 4 ingredients, a mj concentrate, ghee (clarified butter), sun flower lecithin, and honey. I used all organic ingredients. It stays spreadable and looks like whipped honey. I use it on toast or a bagel, waffle, or straight off a spoon.
I make cannabis-butter. one pound of butter to one pound of fine ground bud. I use this butter to make oatmeal & raisin cookies, or whatever.

Tonight I am enjoying oatmeal & raisin cookies where I substituted the vanilla for rum extract [it combines well with the molasses in the recipe].

Roughly 1/8 of a teaspoon of butter is enough for me each night.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Oh..... genius. I see what you did there. [emoji4] I've been using concentrates that are decarbed during extraction and contain THC not THCA. No muss no fuss, just use.

I use the same recipe with chocolate to make bars. Making honey is a great option. That's something I'm going to try as it's a great delivery that is unique.

How much ghee/honey do you use?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:18 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Oh..... genius. I see what you did there. [emoji4] I've been using concentrates that are decarbed during extraction and contain THC not THCA. No muss no fuss, just use.

I use the same recipe with chocolate to make bars. Making honey is a great option. That's something I'm going to try as it's a great delivery that is unique.

How much ghee/honey do you use?
I use two grams of concentrate, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp sunflower lecithin.

This makes one tsp a strong dose. Adjust to suit your needs. One cup equals 48 tsp.

I warm up the concentrate, lecithin and butter together and mix until clear, then I add the honey, and mix well with a mixer until you whip air into the mix.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I like about a tenth of a gram in my little water pipe, 2 or 3 hits and it's gone and so am I.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to amsterdam in 2000 and today you get similar level THC but more main stream...back then you had to travel to NL.

CBD works for some not for others. CBD with THC is popular now, also.

The price you pay for the quality has gone down due to the mainstream (demand) pushing supply chain up and prices down...
Old 03-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Note to add automation has also contributed to driving labor costs down.