Join Early Retirement Today

The Cost of Xarelto
Old 03-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Cost of Xarelto

I've read people on this forum talking about the high cost of some prescription drugs. I know I've seen some people say they would like to get away from Coumadin and the blood tests and dietary restrictions but other blood thinner meds like Xarelto and Equilis are too expensive.

Yes, these newer anti-coagulants are more expensive than the older Coumadin. However, I found out that the manufacturer of Xarelto, Janssen, has a discount purchase plan that is amazing.

I have Afib so I need to take Xarelto to prevent a possible stroke. Even with my wife's health care plan (which is only OK, not great) using the prescription drug deductible the cost to me was $150 for a 90 day supply. Then several of years ago I got a mailing from Janssen telling me I might be eligible for a discount plan. I had to fill out a questionnaire and I must have passed the test because couple of weeks later they sent me a membership card for the discount plan.

Using the discount card my cost went down to $45 for a 90 day supply. This was a pretty good price. I've been getting this price for several years now.

A couple of weeks ago I needed a prescription refill so I went to pick it up and the pharmacist told me the cost was "$1,800 retail, but with my deductible it's $150" for 90 days. What?! He said the higher cost might be caused by a change in my prescription drug benefit allowances due to the plan starting with the new year. I told him about the discount plan I was on but he said he had nothing in his system about a discount plan for Xarelto. (I didn't have my card with me.) I left the pharmacy without paying.

I called the discount plan and they emailed me a new card. I went back to the pharmacy and got my prescription and was thrilled when it rang up as $10.00!! Yes, $10 for a 90 day supply.

Xarelto-Presciption-Cost.jpg

Apparently with Afib I get a lifetime discount plan for Xarelto. I am posting this so others might benefit from what I've learned. The plan is called the Janssen CarePath Savings Program. It's saving me a lot of money. I encourage anyone on anticoagulants to look it up and see if you are eligible. There are requirements you have to meet. And of course, you need a doctor's prescription to take Xarelto.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

My wife takes Xarelto. Retail price for a $30 day supply is typically $450 or so. This year we went on an ACA HSA High Deductible plan. When I picked up her Xarelto prescription, I was expecting to pay the full retail price until we met the deductible. To my surprise, the charge was $0.00.

I called the insurance company to make sure a mistake hadn't been made which would catch up to us later. Apparently, our plan includes a benefit where certain preventative drugs have a $0.00 copay, regardless of our deductible status. Xarelto is one that fits into their definition of "Preventative". It was great news!

Still good to have the Savings Program info should our plan change. We've used other Savings Plans and they have helped a lot.
toddm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just further proof to me that some in the pharmaceutical racket need to go to prison. We are supposed to actually be grateful when they throw us these crumbs?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Of course not. Always remain mean and angry whatever happens.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been taking Edarbyclor for high BP. When the doc gave it to me he said, this is expensive, but then handed me a paper and said if you go to this pharmacy it is $10. Lowest price on GoodRx is $207! So now I went on Medicare, and I think with my Plan D it was $108, I followed through and found a direct from the manufacturer plan where I can get it for $40.
Healthcare prices are crazy.
Time2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Of course not. Always remain mean and angry whatever happens.

List price is $1800 but we can sell it for $10 and make a profit- yea that makes me angry. And yes, messing with sick people like this is mean.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Not that I was happy about being on Eliquis, but I was happy Worker's Comp paid in full for the monthly prescription.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote